Need some AOS Guidance (as in; how/what to study for extended response) (1 Viewer)

get.regime

Recently got my trial marks back, and my AOS response was far below (11/15) all my other marks (went suprising well with everything else). So I've concluded that I really need to overhaul all my AOS study.

Was curious as to how everyone arranges their notes on each of their texts. I've heard of arranging them under headings or in grids but I'm not sure what the specifics involved in these ways are (like what headings etc)? And where do you go from there; do you create more notes based on all these pointing out the relationships or practice essays or scaffolds of essays etc?

And in the actual response how is it best to be structured, if anyone could even send me a scanned/practice response for the third section of AOS I'd really appreciate it.

(get.regime@gmail.com)

Thanks tons anyway.

Last edited:

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
i do mine by looking at what sort of journeys are represented in texts, the outcomes of the journey, and, most importantly, the techniques used by the composers to present their meaning. Remember, the directive 'how' is most commonly used in AOS, and this means TECHNIQUES. umm, i got 15/15 for mine, but it definately wasnt the best ive done. why dont u look at ur schools standard package? they should have lots of band 5/6 exemplar answers, which are probably a whole heap better than any of ours (well, mine anyway!)
oh, btw, what texts are u using? (knowing that migt help ppl suggest structure)

get.regime

Still going through all my texts again, trying to analyse all the coleridge texts, journey to the interior and re-evaluating my additional texts which at the moment is the film fight club and the song hunters and collectors but that may change.

I'd check the standards packages but aren't they on the previous AOS topic (change?) or are the two units pretty similar other than in name?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
yes, they are on change, but the questions are still pretty similiar, and from reading the exemplar answers you will still get a sense of the best way to structure and link texts. actually, the fact that it's not journeys may even help - because you wont be tempted ot just copy theirs!
you'll be right dude!

Gemstone

Yeah I really need help with the AOS stuff. I messed that paper up so bad (single figures in all sections). Anyway I've been trying practice essawys but I get really stuck on where to go and how to bring my texts in. Anyway I'm starting to go back through my texts and see if that will help me at all. Also I've never actually written notes (like proper one's not just the stuff from class) and was wondering how you go about making notes for english. Yeah any help would be appreciated. I have the standards packs but there just essays and stuff on change and don't help me much.

Gemma

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
Gemstone said:
Also I've never actually written notes (like proper one's not just the stuff from class) and was wondering how you go about making notes for english.
well when i did my notes for aos (i got full marks in the trial) i drew a table/grid on an A3 sheet..its stuck up in my room!! (someone has already mentioned this idea)Anyways, have several columns, one saying the type of journey/s, a short summary (like 1-2 sentences), main themes/values, techniques used, key quotes and then how it relates to the core text (mine being coleridge, i described how it related to my 2 poems)
if worst comes to worse, just jump on http://www.sparknotes.com
or http://www.pinkmonkey.com and get notes off ur core text on that :p

hope that helps gemma!!

HSC
N/A
I suck at the AOs bit... the 25/25 for the Eng Ext 1 essay don't mean anything if I get another lousy mark in the AOS!

My worst part is really the unseen texts. We're used to very specific texts - which is good in a way, but when we get the ones that can refer to Physical/Imag/Inner journeys, I'm stuck. It's so broad! Also, when I get ones that almost exclusively relate to Physical and Imaginative journeys only. A couple of guys climbing a mountain... that is SOOO an inner journey....

rumour

HSC
Where can you get the standard packages from?

Is it too late to get it now?

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
ur school would usually have a copy of it..i think the board of studies sells them.

rumour

HSC
Lou_86 said:
ur school would usually have a copy of it..i think the board of studies sells them.
Our school didn't,

or they just didn't show it to us:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)