Need some ideas for Major Work Project. (1 Viewer)

2loseyourmind4

HSC
Hi Guys!

I was just wondering, what are some topics you guys considered/went through with, for your major work? Im currently struggling to find a topic and hoping that reading other peoples ideas might spark some ideas for me.

Thank you!!

Frostguard

HSC
Hey Hist Ext buddy!!! Basically my teacher has told me to investigate and make the basis of your project a debate about something, as in make a project which focuses on a popular issue or debate of time because it showcases critical thinking and more research opposed to a one sided investigation. I think you did a historical investigation in your Preliminary Course? Maybe find some ongoing debate about related to your topic? Eg a classic debate would be 'to what extent was the occurrence of the Holocaust evidence of fundamentalism/intentionalism? Also a past student from my school did ' Did Alexander the Great deserve the title 'Great'. It's little issues and debates like these which gets you a good mark because it shows you did extensive research on both arguments and sides (which you can add to your process log ;))) ) but yeah basically find an issue which has been debated for a longgg time. Oh yeah and also my project, which I'm not entirely set on yet but am interested in is the French Revolution maybe like ' To what extent was Marie Antoinette the turning point for the French uprising of the 18th century?' This focus question will allow me to argue whether or not she was one of the incentives or causes of the French Revolution :)))
Good Luck!!

2loseyourmind4

HSC
The Alexander the Great topic seems pretty interesting! I just gave it a bit of research and I definitely will consider it for my major work. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

planetblue

HSC
Okaaay, I'm personally dead set on doing something on the American Revolutionary War, whether that be studying Washington (who according to some people was a pretty bad general, and I wanna do more research) or Jefferson (who wrote about inalienable rights.... but built his Monticello slave plantation) or whomever, but I was talking with someone from another school who mentioned a few other topics. Anne Boleyn and all that jazz. American Civil War. Joan of Arc. Practically any American president.

A topic that I studied for my exam last year back in New Zealand was the Birmingham Campaign in Alabama, U.S.A. (there seems to be a trend for me with American history.... hmm). We looked at the effectiveness of violent and non-violent resistance during the Civil Rights Movement, with Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X.

....but then again, I've only had one lesson so far for this class, so I virtually know n o t h i n g of the major work. In fact, I'm staying up to transcribe notes for that class right now since I have it tomorrow. This is me procrastinating.

Heck, could the Salem witch trials work? Something to do with McCarthyism?

And um.... there's an *cough* anime called Hetalia which is kind of childish to watch, and it's in 5 minute segments, but it does briefly go through a lot of historical events and generalises the relationships that countries have with each other. It's based on a manga where the countries are personified and deal with each other. That might spawn some inspiration. Also a musical called Hamilton which goes through the Founding Fathers of the U.S.A in a biased manner, but it's good for a general overview of events. I can tell you now that for The Federalist Papers, John Jay got sick after writing 5 essays, James Madison wrote 29, and Alexander Hamilton WROTE THE OTHER 51! (and, if my memory serves me right, James Madison was president during the War of 1812 when the British burnt down the White House).

Aaaand then "destiny manifest" or something, when the Americans were expanding west of their original 13 colonies. And the Louisiana purchase with Napoleon.... and taking Texas, Arizona and New Mexico away from Mexico.... and yeaaaah.

Oh, and the decision to drop the bombs on Japan! That would be worth looking into. It's an ongoing debate in YouTube comment sections, I can vouch for that because I'm one of the sad people who actually bothers to read through it all.

We also went over the invasion of Manchuria while I was in NZ. Don't know if that could really be applied to this class.

Now I should probably do my homework, heh. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)