• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Need some last minute help :( (1 Viewer)

wagig

HSC
I have a Software assignment due soon, and the question reads:

"Explain the term copyright in relation to a software developer's legal applications of it"
and
"Explain the term copyright in relation to a software developer's ethical application of it"

I don't even understand what these questions are asking :(
Any help is appreciated

mathbot

HSC
Have you tried to search for the answer on Google?? - http://bit.ly/ZpIBwI
The second result from there, looks quite relevant to what you're looking for.

LithiumAus

HSC
Well, i think "Explain the term copyright in relation to a software developer's legal applications of it" means that the copyright protects the software developer from misuse of what they develop. So the copyright is the document that says that if the person decides to use the developer's software, they agree that [for example] the developer is not legally responsible for what the user uses the software for. (As a hacker, i see this in just about every script, tutorials and application i've ever used).

Or i could be thinking about this the wrong way. Legally, it means basically that a user or any other software developer, is not allowed to reverse engineer the software and use/modify it's code in order to benefit off the developer's work.

As for the ethical application, i'm pretty sure that's what i started talking about, how users should not use the software for malicious purposes, and are responsible for their own actions involving the software, and the developer is not responsible for illegal acts committed with the software he/she wrote.

I think this is somewhere along the right track, but basically explain what the copyright is in each situation.

If i am totally off track, i am sorry. It's nearly 1am, and i haven't had a decent night's sleep in a week.

- Alex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)