• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Need some serious advice. (1 Viewer)

Bcc One

HSC
Hey guys, i'm new to this forum so please go easy on me haha.

But yeah, i'm in grade 11 at the moment in brisbane, QLD, studying ancient history, modern history, geography, maths A, english Authority and a Cert 3 in IDMT.

I'm hoping to at least get an op 6-10 so I can study the Bachelor of Government and International Relations at Uni.

The problem is that I can't seem to find a good university to study it at in Australia so i've been looking at some oversea's university's.

Asides from ANU, Australia's universties don't seem to offer the course in international relations, which is what I'm interested in, so I've found some international university's but their annual tution fees are so god damn expensive!

FYI, i'm a new zealand citizen so i'd love to hear some advice. Oh and btw i've been researching a lot about potential University's which can suit my needs so my question is, with these subjects i'm studying atm in highschool, combined with a decent OP, would I be able to enter into a foreign UNI (preferably a good one) at a decent price?

Also some career advice with the course will be very helpful! Thanks in advance :)

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
You could still still major in international relations and government through your choice of majors in a BA at just about any uni and it would get you the same job opportunities

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Studying at any university which isn't of your nationality will be expensive.....

Bcc One

HSC
Globally? Cause I'm under the assumption that the career opps are limited to the country in which you studied the course at, hence why i'm kinda worried...

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
You realize most uni's do offer international relations as a major... It falls under bachelor of arts/ bachelor of international studies. Australia is the only country with the weird system of "bachelor of xxxx" where everywhere else is a BA or BS

Bcc One

HSC
So potential employers will not mind that i studied international relations at Griffith instead of say, ANU, or a north american UNI such as University of Toronto or Harvard?

Jinks

HSC
So potential employers will not mind that i studied international relations at Griffith instead of say, ANU, or a north american UNI such as University of Toronto or Harvard?
This argument always pops up about perceived prestige but I'm pretty sure it's safe to say an employer would prefer someone from Harvard than any of the other universities you mentioned. For an international student you'd have to do extremely well and be willing to pay huge fees though which isn't always a viable option.

What the people above are saying is look at Bachelor of Arts degrees which major in international relations as it's effectively the same thing is a Bachelor of Internstional Relations (which is much more uncommon)

Bcc One

HSC
This argument always pops up about perceived prestige but I'm pretty sure it's safe to say an employer would prefer someone from Harvard than any of the other universities you mentioned. For an international student you'd have to do extremely well and be willing to pay huge fees though which isn't always a viable option.

What the people above are saying is look at Bachelor of Arts degrees which major in international relations as it's effectively the same thing is a Bachelor of Internstional Relations (which is much more uncommon)
Thanks for the advice! The reason why i'm asking for the employers is mainly because I'd want to work for a foreign government with the BA being studied here so I'm just wondering if it would hinder my chances...but thanks anyway.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the advice! The reason why i'm asking for the employers is mainly because I'd want to work for a foreign government with the BA being studied here so I'm just wondering if it would hinder my chances...but thanks anyway.
By employers i think you're looking at government organizations with your degree.

You would not be able to work for a foreign government in the first place due to security clearances. You might be able to work for think tanks and what not, but for your degree I'd advise you to go ANU for intl relations (its in canberra, think about it). Government jobs are restricted to CITIZENS only unless you're so super duper good at your job they'd hire you and offer you fast track citizenship. You'd most likely only be able to work for the NZ gov, sorry to burst your bubble.

I wouldn't put any hopes on a foreign university unless your parents are willing to spend 50k a year in tuition+cost of living studying overseas.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
By employers i think you're looking at government organizations with your degree.

You would not be able to work for a foreign government in the first place due to security clearances. You might be able to work for think tanks and what not, but for your degree I'd advise you to go ANU for intl relations (its in canberra, think about it). Government jobs are restricted to CITIZENS only unless you're so super duper good at your job they'd hire you and offer you fast track citizenship. You'd most likely only be able to work for the NZ gov, sorry to burst your bubble.

I wouldn't put any hopes on a foreign university unless your parents are willing to spend 50k a year in tuition+cost of living studying overseas.
That's why most international students are rich .... and their parents buy apartments for them.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
That's why most international students are rich .... and their parents buy apartments for them.
/Chinese moneyz. Also a lot of them are using their kids as an immigration pathway.

Bcc One

HSC
What do you mean by the term "think tanks"? In any case, what do you suggest I do with the degree? I really want to work in a country other than Australia or New Zealand...

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I'm planning on doing international relations as well and have only come across one university out the twenty-ish I've looked at that doesn't offer it. It's quite a common course.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
What do you mean by the term "think tanks"? In any case, what do you suggest I do with the degree? I really want to work in a country other than Australia or New Zealand...
Your career path in the degree is either go academic (which means you need REALLY REALLY good marks in uni) or work for the foreign office in NZ. No foreign country will hire you over a citizen because of national security reasons. And for think tanks... It's just practically heavy research policy publication eg RAND (if youre UBER SMART).

Btw I wouldn't look at overseas uni's unless you got 1. the financials under control 2. you got the marks. for top global uni's you need at least a 93+ ATAR and 99+ for Ivy league to JUST be considered.

Bcc One

HSC
Your career path in the degree is either go academic (which means you need REALLY REALLY good marks in uni) or work for the foreign office in NZ. No foreign country will hire you over a citizen because of national security reasons. And for think tanks... It's just practically heavy research policy publication eg RAND (if youre UBER SMART).

Btw I wouldn't look at overseas uni's unless you got 1. the financials under control 2. you got the marks. for top global uni's you need at least a 93+ ATAR and 99+ for Ivy league to JUST be considered.
Oh alright thanks. Well I looked over some career paths and some of them mentioned 'Export and Import Sales Manager' by that do they mean like working for companies or for the gov? Sorry just a bit clueless atm.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Oh alright thanks. Well I looked over some career paths and some of them mentioned 'Export and Import Sales Manager' by that do they mean like working for companies or for the gov? Sorry just a bit clueless atm.
sounds like a freight forwarder. which means you're gonna be a paper pusher (shitty entry level job) for import/export side of business', nothing to do with gov.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)