Need textbooks? (1 Viewer)

zxreth

HSC
Hey guys, basically i need to know which of my following subject/s i should get a textbook for and which subject/s i can do without a textbook for. My subjects are the following:

• ENGG1800: Engineering Disciplines (Intro) Stream A
  • ENGG1801: Engineering Computing
  • PHYS1001: Physics 1 (Regular)
  • MATH1001: Differential Calculus
  • MATH1002: Linear Algebra

Any help is appreciated!

physicsman1200

HSC
I would wait till lectures start to see if the lecturer actually wants them, especially Engineering units, but I know that for Linear algebra, there is a textbook written by the actual lecturer, so I guess it is a must there. Also for Differential Calculus there is no textbook only "reccomended texts" But the Kopystop sells notes for MATH1001, i would get that. As for physics, I believe that you must buy a textbook due to the "Mastering Physics" component (a code with the textbook that is used for tutes/assignment on some online website)

Ferox

HSC
Definitely don't get the Engineering Computing textbook. There's extensive, easier-to-access and free notes online for MATLAB (not to mention the program's built-in help). For Diff Calc there's notes from kopyshop I believe, so you don't need the textbook. I didn't get the linear algebra one either; but from skimming it, it looks to be very similar to David Easdown's lecture notes and exercises (he teaches the advanced stream)

Last edited:

zxreth

HSC
alright thanks, also do you guys know if any of my subjects have their lectures/lecture notes/slides uploaded to the internet? And, this may be a stupid question but where/what is the kopyshop?

Ferox

HSC
I imagine they'll all have lecture slides online. Kopystop (sorry I got the name wrong before) is printing shop off campus. It's a little way down a street off Broadway. Look it up on Google maps.

Last edited:

physicsman1200

HSC
Kopystop is on mountain street, near the Broadway shopping centre and University of Notre Dame. I just bought MATH1901 notes for $23.00 just to give you an idea of the cost.

zxreth

HSC
so basically,

ENGG1801: Engineering Computing - dont get textbook
PHYS1001: Physics 1 (Regular) - need a textbook due to 'mastering physics' component
MATH1001: Differential Calculus - get notes from kopystop
MATH1002: Linear Algebra - could need a textbook, based on lecturer

Is that correct? also, how about ENG1800 need anything for that?

Ferox

HSC
Ask someone at oweek. I took prof eng instead and if it's anything like that course you won't need one.

For next semester you'll definitely want Engineering Mechanics, so if you see anyone selling that pick it up.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
alright thanks, also do you guys know if any of my subjects have their lectures/lecture notes/slides uploaded to the internet? And, this may be a stupid question but where/what is the kopyshop?
From memory, we didn't have lectures slides for either MATH1001 or MATH1002 so I would be surprised if anything was uploaded to eLearning but I know that there are multiple lecturers for both units so they may teach differently. Your best bet is to just wait and see.

zxreth

HSC
Ask someone at oweek. I took prof eng instead and if it's anything like that course you won't need one.

For next semester you'll definitely want Engineering Mechanics, so if you see anyone selling that pick it up.
so at oweek there will be people selling second hand books? where does this take place?

vtee

HSC
N/A
I'm selling the books

Hey all, I'M SELLING THE FOLLOWING - CHEAP AS CHIPS

MATH1001
MATH1002
MATH1003
MATH1005
ENGINEERING MECHANICS: STATICS
MATH2061/2067

Let me know if you want any :)

zxreth

HSC
Re: I'm selling the books

Hey all, I'M SELLING THE FOLLOWING - CHEAP AS CHIPS

MATH1001
MATH1002
MATH1003
MATH1005
ENGINEERING MECHANICS: STATICS
MATH2061/2067

Let me know if you want any :)
pm'ed

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Surprise surprise, I find myself using my Linear Algebra textbook tonight to revise on matrices which are a significant component of Applied Optimisation.

zxreth

HSC
Hey guys, i got told at physics 1001 today to buy 'University Physics' by Young and Freedman. My question is to those who have used the textbook before, will i need it for only one semester, or can i use it for later semesters as well, cause if it's just one then i'll stick with the ebook. Thanks alot!

vtee

HSC
N/A
Also selling

Chemistry Contexts 1 - 1st EDITION: Irwin, Farrelly, Garnett
Fundamentals of Organic Chemistry - 6th EDITION: McMurray, Simanek
Biology - 8th EDITION: Campbell, Reece, Meyers
Intro. to Probability and Statistics - 13th EDITION: Mendenhall, Beaver & Beaver

call or sms 0434 571 552

funnytomato

HSC
Hey guys, i got told at physics 1001 today to buy 'University Physics' by Young and Freedman. My question is to those who have used the textbook before, will i need it for only one semester, or can i use it for later semesters as well, cause if it's just one then i'll stick with the ebook. Thanks alot!
if you've got the e-book, you probably don't need to buy it

sci-tech library has a few copies as well, some of them are the older edition but there hasn't been much change anyways

I think you should buy it if you're very serious/passionate about physics

btw, it's a very good textbook

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)