Need to know how to study... (1 Viewer)

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
So if you don't follow lectures AND you don't make your own notes, then what do you study with?
1. I don't go lectures and use lecture notes for learning, at my own pace.

2. I don't go lectures and use lecture notes as a guideline and find learning material online.

1) occurs more than 2).

About writing notes... it's really helpful but takes a lot of time. What I learn is within the realms of engineering and science, so for me, doing hard questions and constantly evaluating my approach is more better.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Biomedical science, but I was mainly asking about notes because in cell biology and genetics there's quite a bit of content.
I'm not a note taker, so I can't help you with that.

But for those subjects I usually watched the crash course videos on them (which are relatively indepth)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPKvHrD1eS4&index=5&list=PL3EED4C1D684D3ADF

And if they weren't enough indepth I'd usually look up Khan Academy, except their videos are way too long tbh

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I can't absorb anything from notes but if that's ur kinda thing go ahead

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
Biomedical science, but I was mainly asking about notes because in cell biology and genetics there's quite a bit of content.
Beware: This is just a friendly suggestion. ^_^

If I were to take notes (in lectures) in this content-heavy degree, then I would be selective with my attention. With experience and conscious effort you will end up knowing what to write down. Some people take down key words which they will later research, some people print out lecture notes and write down extra notes on the slides.

From experience, this kind of science with make you rote learn a lot of information so we need to develop methods to make this process as efficient and effective as possible which will make them long-term memories.

My first suggestion is to absorb and think visually because it is easier to process something visually and we process more visually. Say for example you need to recall all parts of the brain and it's functions. Begin by forming a picture of the brain and start picking out the parts and it's functions.

Compare this to recall words alone. How hard is that?

The more visual you make the memory, the deeper it will be ingrained.

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I'll just post my questions here without making a new thread.

Are the final exams right after the lectures are done?
If they are, wouldn't it be better to start studying before the lectures are over?
Do the final exams just test your knowledge on lectures only or also pracs? (For science courses)
Are practise questions as important as doing past-HSC questions before the HSC? Or memorising notes is enough?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I'll just post my questions here without making a new thread.

Are the final exams right after the lectures are done?
If they are, wouldn't it be better to start studying before the lectures are over?
Do the final exams just test your knowledge on lectures only or also pracs? (For science courses)
Are practise questions as important as doing past-HSC questions before the HSC? Or memorising notes is enough?
1. There's a week called stuvac in between where you can study
2. Yes
3. Up to the lecturer
4. Probably won't find any past papers

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
1. There's a week called stuvac in between where you can study
2. Yes
3. Up to the lecturer
4. Probably won't find any past papers
You mentioned before that you can't absorb anything from notes, then how do you study? Also what's your study routine like?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
You mentioned before that you can't absorb anything from notes, then how do you study? Also what's your study routine like?
I watch the lectures once or twice (at 1.5x speed cos ain't nobody got time) and then either I look up videos online to solidify those concepts or just read through the lecture slides (if there's any writing on them) and solidify concepts that way.

My study routine is crazy lol. I don't go to any lectures as I find people around me very distracting so I watch all of them online. So my standard study routine is:

It really depends on if you're a fast learner or not. And yes also depends on what you're studying.

Personally last sem I had 3 days off from uni and was doing 4 subjects. I studied about 9 hrs each of those days, equating to about 25-27 hours each week. HOWEVER, it must be noted that during the rest of the week I did absolutely nothing (like literally went to uni and came back home and didn't do any study), so things like listening to recorded lectures, doing assignments, completing labs/tutorial prep were done crammed into those days.

My results were pretty much distinctions but on the verge of HD's (84's :c), but yeah I have gotten HD's in the past with this much studying too.

Oh and I study mainy science subjects.
In terms of actual "study". I usually revise all lab/tute and lecture work for the current week and the week before it. And then I complete any prep work needed for the following week.

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
So all you used was just lecture notes and online videos?

Also how about in the weeks leading up to the final exams, did you do anything different? As in study differently?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
So all you used was just lecture notes and online videos?

Also how about in the weeks leading up to the final exams, did you do anything different? As in study differently?
Yep

Just restudied all the lectures

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
TBH I just stay on top of everything, read ahead etc (bcos it's really easy to fall behind in law and one week turns into two then the whole semester etc etc). I don't really study that excessively throughout the year but like 2-3 weeks before finals I just basement it.

For most subjects I buy the textbooks for the sake of complete knowledge but sometimes I don't either and still do well. Attend your lectures and supplant your notes with what the lecturer says, too many people think they can just ditch lectures and read through lecture notes. Maybe you can get away with it in first year subs but beyond that prob not.

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
TBH I just stay on top of everything, read ahead etc (bcos it's really easy to fall behind in law and one week turns into two then the whole semester etc etc). I don't really study that excessively throughout the year but like 2-3 weeks before finals I just basement it.

For most subjects I buy the textbooks for the sake of complete knowledge but sometimes I don't either and still do well. Attend your lectures and supplant your notes with what the lecturer says, too many people think they can just ditch lectures and read through lecture notes. Maybe you can get away with it in first year subs but beyond that prob not.
Debatable. There are many variables you need to consider.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Debatable. There are many variables you need to consider.
True, maybe the lecturer is your dad and he can just expand on the points in the comfort of your own home.

Nah srsly it does depend on the subject hence I made the subsequent potential exception of first year subs. If your slides are just very basic content and you can just read the textbook for further clarifications, then sure, but if you look at the slides and say 'wtf is all of this about' then showing up might be a better idea. At UTS the law faculty makes a point to record all of the lectures and post them, so it makes everything easier but business faculty is pretty lazy (or are the students lazy :haha:) so gotta show up to those ones.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I do:
1. Read lecture slides and readings before lectures and after lectures
2. Make notes during lectures
3. Make own notes and ensure I understand whatever is being taught in lecture/class
4. Refer to textbook/consult course mates if unsure
I'm having difficulties printing the lecture notes so I'm thinking of just writing my own notes, but how would you include pictures? Some pictures that the lecturers use are from textbooks, and I can't copy the photos from the lecture notes, so what do I do?

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
I'm having difficulties printing the lecture notes so I'm thinking of just writing my own notes, but how would you include pictures? Some pictures that the lecturers use are from textbooks, and I can't copy the photos from the lecture notes, so what do I do?
BlueGas, we can tell you are anxious. I suggest that you take a break and think about what to do independently! :)

It's time to exercise your own judgement to test whether what you are doing is efficient/effective, then evaluate. I say this because there will be a times where you cannot ask anyone for help and you have to do it yourself. Training and exercising your own judgement will prepare yourself for these moments.

I was once in a similar situation to you. Not knowing what to do.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
BlueGas, we can tell you are anxious. I suggest that you take a break and think about what to do independently! :)

It's time to exercise your own judgement to test whether what you are doing is efficient/effective, then evaluate. I say this because there will be a times where you cannot ask anyone for help and you have to do it yourself. Training and exercising your own judgement will prepare yourself for these moments.

I was once in a similar situation to you. Not knowing what to do.
Exactly.

I can't print the pages how I want them to print. I'm just so frustrated right now, from one side I've heard that you can just use the lecture notes (I don't like viewing them electronically and printing them will cost alot of ink and paper) and on the other side I've heard that you write your own notes, but if I hand write them, do I draw the pictures myself? Won't it be time consuming? I'm thinking of typing the notes that way it'll be faster and not time consuming, and also I'll basically be reviewing the content when I'm writing my notes, but how about the pictures? How do I include those?

That's what's on my mind.

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
Exactly.

I can't print the pages how I want them to print. I'm just so frustrated right now, from one side I've heard that you can just use the lecture notes (I don't like viewing them electronically and printing them will cost alot of ink and paper) and on the other side I've heard that you write your own notes, but if I hand write them, do I draw the pictures myself? Won't it be time consuming? I'm thinking of typing the notes that way it'll be faster and not time consuming, and also I'll basically be reviewing the content when I'm writing my notes, but how about the pictures? How do I include those?

That's what's on my mind.
What kind of pictures are we talking?

If you prefer typing with notes and have difficulty drawing them on computer, then have paper handy and draw the picture there.

Otherwise, all on paper.

Not sure how to include pictures but I can only think of using a scanner or CamScanner mobile app to retrieve digital image then copy and paste it to your notes document.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)