need ur advice pplz ! (1 Viewer)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Re: need further advice pplz !

dawma88 said:
hye should i follow the recommened program that the uni suggests ?

1st semester
ACST151 Introduction to Actuarial Studies 3
ECON110 Macroeconomic Principles 3
STAT171 Statistical Data Analysis 3
MATH132 Mathematics IA (Advanced) 3

2nd semester
ACST101 Techniques and Elements of Finance 3
ACST211 Combinatorial Probability 3
ACCG105 Introductory Financial Accounting 3
ECON111 Microeconomic Principles 3
MATH133 Mathematics IB (Advanced) 3

remember im a 3u boy , would i be able to cope with it ? and what are your thoughts about the program ?

last but not least- can i transfer into actuarial studies/applied finance after one semester with a gpa of 2.24 ?

thanx guys for the postive and helpfull input !
firstly...where the hell did u get 2.24 from lol...mate just concentrate on doing you're best, im sure you can get above 2.25 with some hard work.

I strongly recommend you follow the recommended program above...

you should be relatively fine with 3u maths...if you ever need help you can go to the Numeracy Centre, but i doubt you'll need it.

Remember you need a Credit in STAT171, to be allowed into ACST211, so make sure you don't slack off...and as a minimum, credit in acst101 (for acst200), credit in accg105, credit in micro (the latter two for exemption purposes), pass in maths (for acst200) and pass in everything else...

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC

hmm i duno abt 3u.. i heard ppl who do 3u should be doin math 136 and 135 or something??

gbong

HSC
yea... some guy last year did 135 and 136 i think, instead of 133

but like supra or some1 else sed,, u shld be fine wiv jus 3u - the math units wont b that hard man... and the rest ..errr jus be able to cram stuff good and ull b rite

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
alright cool- so i just stick with their program when making my timetable ?

thanx for all ur input

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
ask the acst staff first though, i rkn u need 4u for some stuff in 133 (integration by parts) but yea thats prolli the only thing haha

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
OH SHIT! Ryan and Gbong just reminded me!
A friend of mine only did 3u maths, and i think he did math135 in first semester, then 133 in second semester...but back then we didn't have to do math132 as part of our program like you guys...btw this guy is a major gun...its just that he lived in woop woop or somethin and his school didnt offer 4u :p

upon looking at the handbook I've discovered the prerequisite for math133 is:
Prerequisites:

MATH132(P) or MATH135(HD)

So this means you can still follow new actuarial program and do 132 in first sem, pass it, and then do maths133...however maths132 just looks like a lot of maths using computing software...who knows, u may learn those polynomials, and integration by parts :p
If not, Numeracy Centre to catch up a bit when u do 133 (those issues aren't major srsly tho)

I say, call the maths dept. or some adviser just to make sure...

CrashOveride

HSC
You don't need 4unit maths per se. As long as you study dude, you'll have no problems whatsoever.

Now for all these acst dudes coming out, did you guys go with econ141 for elective? Some guys were saying mktg101 is easy and could add some variety to our bland degree?

darkmist

HSC

dawma88 said:
hye should i follow the recommened program that the uni suggests ?

1st semester
ACST151 Introduction to Actuarial Studies 3
ECON110 Macroeconomic Principles 3
STAT171 Statistical Data Analysis 3
MATH132 Mathematics IA (Advanced) 3

2nd semester
ACST101 Techniques and Elements of Finance 3
ACST211 Combinatorial Probability 3
ACCG105 Introductory Financial Accounting 3
ECON111 Microeconomic Principles 3
MATH133 Mathematics IB (Advanced) 3

remember im a 3u boy , would i be able to cope with it ? and what are your thoughts about the program ?

last but not least- can i transfer into actuarial studies/applied finance after one semester with a gpa of 2.24 ?

thanx guys for the postive and helpfull input !
Don't we have to do a comp or isys unit in 1st or 2nd semester too?

ND

HSC
CrashOveride said:
Now for all these acst dudes coming out, did you guys go with econ141 for elective? Some guys were saying mktg101 is easy and could add some variety to our bland degree?
No matter how easy mktg101 is, i guarantee you'll be able to get a better mark with less time in ECON141. You'll easily be able to get a HD without going to a class all semester (and without looking at any of the material), and studying only 2 days before the exam. (this is no exagerration)

gbong

HSC

i think the recommended programs changed from last year

like ppl who started the course last year - we hadta do comp115 in first semester
but u guys get to do an extra math unit hahahaha.. :p
and do comp/isys in 1st semester of 2nd year

RIZAL

HSC
I agree with ND. Let's say that your average class is worth 2 final marks per hour of study, ECON141 is worth around 5 final marks per hour of study. It's really easy.

CrashOveride

HSC
You don't need to ring any one vis a vie the units. Just follow the recommended program ftw (for the win).

the_pun

HSC
Hi guys,

I am also in the same boat as dawma88...I am doing the Bachelor of Commerce (Actuarial Studies) / Bachelor of Science (Computing) double degree. I also did not do 3 unit maths as I went to a low ranking school (446) which didn't offer it unless I did it via correspondence by myself, in my own time without a teacher (which would've sucked! so i just stuck with 3 unit...) Now - u guys were saying that "Integration by Parts" is like the only 4 unit topic u really need to know for Actuarial Studies? I just taught it to myself then. I really want to do MATH132 and 133...I just hope I'm not at too much of a disadvantage.

Also...what times during the week is that Numeracy Centre open? U guys said it was worthwhile? coz I have some huge gaps in between lectures...any essential 4 unit knowledge needed that i don't have they would be able to help with right?

Thanks heaps :)

oh yeah - I realised when I was making a rough copy of my timetable that STAT171 and MATH132 have a clashing lecture. What do we do about this?

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
CrashOveride said:
ftw (for the win).
wgat the hell is ftw ( for thw win) supposed to mean?? iv heard it heaps on the mac posts

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Supra said:
gpa of 3= credit average

at mq, fail = 0, PC = 1, P = 2, Cr = 3, D/HD = 4
might as well transfer after first sem, doesnt really matter though, but just in case something goes wrong in second sem...

no u just need that gpa and hten ur doin the acst/fin program...

yeh tahts from the Numeracy Centre, not sure of times, i should have gone there myself :p apparently they are really good.

hmm cant remember cost of books...i can find out later when im not so tired and let u know...just get your books second hand anyway...
don't drop actuarial, supra. don't u want a career in IB? :(

^___^
HSC
dawma88 said:
wgat the hell is ftw ( for thw win) supposed to mean?? iv heard it heaps on the mac posts
its geek talk, like saying...

Maria Sharapova's sexy dress ftw

and as for math132, i did math135(the "dumbed" down version), you don't need 4u maths to kill it, it would help, since 1 and a half of the topics are covered in 4u (complex numbers and volumes)
but the rest is brand new maths stuff(nothing related to 4u), and most are harder 3u crap

CrashOveride

HSC
§eraphim said:
don't drop actuarial, supra. don't u want a career in IB? :(
That would be more of a reason to drop it.

any essential 4 unit knowledge needed that i don't have they would be able to help with right?
As was said previously, some IBP is the only thing you will need to know from 4unit basically. Most of first year, I felt, is 3unit-like based anyway.

gbong

HSC
u hardly need any 3u man...
serioulys like IBP is like the only thing
in 133 all the stuff we learnt was new so like even ppl who did 4u hadta do it new

also i think sheperd taught us IBP agen in 151 newayz so dun worry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)