Need valid evidence :) to prove to my teacher (2 Viewers)

sipahi

HSC
hi guys
basically in my exam i wrote silicon was easier to dope than germanium after readin it on excel physics book ...which i cant seem to find.. and in A students guide to hsc chemistry (many people might knw the notes by this guy)
anyway i need help to prove sir silicon is easier to dope than germanium..2 valid sources :/

Thx guys...all help is appreciated

braintic

HSC
N/A
hi guys
basically in my exam i wrote silicon was easier to dope than germanium after readin it on excel physics book ...which i cant seem to find.. and in A students guide to hsc chemistry (many people might knw the notes by this guy)
anyway i need help to prove sir silicon is easier to dope than germanium..2 valid sources :/

Thx guys...all help is appreciated
I'm not an expert on this at all. But I suspect that the only reason that Silicon might be easier to dope is that there has been much more research into the use of silicon in semiconductors. Germanium semiconductors are only beginning to be used semi-extensively.

nightweaver066

HSC
Actually, schools/the marking boards don't consider Excel to be a valid source of information (heard this from one of my teachers who was a HSC marker).

This is why it's better to stick to the textbooks (them being Jacaranda, etc.) and only use information from such.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
My Physics teacher says that using evidence from just 'Excel' is not valid.

That's why he emphasises on ''You should use more than 1 source of information (e.g. more than 1 textbook)'' to avoid problems.

Student's Guide is not an official source at all.

If you can find other textbooks that say so - e.g. Physics in Focus, Jacaranda, In2Physics, etc. then you could argue so.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
SILICON IS HARDER TO DOPE THAN GERMANIUM. You got it the other way around.
The only reason why Germanium was used is because it was easier to purify. Purifying Silicon involves immense heating by expensive equipment to get the Silicon.
An example of this is in sand, which is very abundant but makes it hard to extract pure Silicon from Silicon Dioxide.

By the way, this is basically what Jacaranda Physics told me, which also makes sense.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Silicon is more widely available at an economically viable cost.........

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Germanium is easier to dope than silicon.

The bonds in silicon are much stronger than in germanium and hence, doping, which is basically replacing silicon units from the lattice is more difficult (requires more energy). Similarly, it's also the reason why germanium is easier to purify - weaker bonds means less energy is needed to break the bonds.

By the way, Excel is a very bad textbook - there's a significant amount of errors and wrong information in it.

Last edited:

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
LoL :)

Unlucky, Teg!

Looks like you wont be getting that extra mark ;)

Just make sure you KILL the assessment tomorrow!! :D

sipahi

HSC
...wait sir i actually read..that silicon was easier to dope than galium arsenic..as well
Thats why I was convinced...i feel so sad..i lost 1 mark for nothing :(

Edit: Thx everybody :):) i will be more careful next time ^_^....

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
o btw sir.. how can i maximise my marks for tomorrow?
Buy me a ferrari? Jokes!

Just make sure you are confident with all the pracs, your skills and calculations.

There is only one question which will cause problems due to difficulty. Some parts of the other qs may cause problems, not due to difficulty tho.

Just make sure that you read the questions carefully and do everything PERFECTLY! I will mark it pretty harshly.

Btw, not rly joking about the Ferrari..

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
By the way, Anyone doing Age of Silicon this year? Check out the thread I made in that section.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)