Need Year 12 Independant Research Investigation Ideas!!! (1 Viewer)

goofyboy123

Master
HSC
Hey Guys,
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on an IRI idea as i am totally stumped for ideas and onli got three weeks to submit my part 1. :confused:
Any ideas would be appriciated.
Thanks.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Does it have to be first hand experiment(s) or can it be 2nd hand investigation(s)?

Is it restricted to a particular discipline (e.g. Searching for better health) or can it be of any discipline? Does it necessarily have to relate to the syllabus of NSW?

cazgirl123

HSC
With my one we have to find a topic - any topic as long as it relates to the study of biology (not necessarily the syllabus), we don't have to have studied it in class - then we have to create hypothesis, research it, perform experiments, present data, etc. etc. I just can't think of anything specific that I could actully perform an experiment on. Hmmph.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Natural selection is always an easy pick. Get 20x green toothpicks, 20x red toothpicks, randomly chuck em in a lawn, get a predator (a friend, who's not green/red colourblind) and get him to pick out as many preys (tooth picks) as possible in 5 min.

boris

Banned
HSC
xiao1985 said:
Natural selection is always an easy pick. Get 20x green toothpicks, 20x red toothpicks, randomly chuck em in a lawn, get a predator (a friend, who's not green/red colourblind) and get him to pick out as many preys (tooth picks) as possible in 5 min.
Yeah but that one gets done in class and it gets done to death.

boris

Banned
HSC
Although it would be pretty easy to do, you'd just need to make sure the written part was especially kickass.

budj

HSC
Rate at which plant grows in different fertilisers (problem is it takes time), the effect of light on the direction of plant growth (from seedling to 5cm tall?). Analysing growth of bacterium/ fungi on bread/ different nutrient medium. You could do this as a preliminary investigation into the effects of a variety of herbs on bacterial growth (as i am sure your aware of the growth in alternatie medicine industry) - to do this you could make a broth for bacteria to grow on, this is quite easy and can find resources on the net. You can then include or exclude various natural herbs that ha e been implicated with benefiting the immune system. Example would be testing efficacy of vitamin C as a drug. Put in set amount to your nutrient broth and see what happens. There are heaps of discussion points in this type of experiment. For example, if you see there is a decrease in bacterial growth over a week, this might not be due to any antibacterial activity of vitamin C but maybe because it has lowered pH of medium (therefore you can design a test to see if pH of medium effects bacterial growth to verify this).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)