Needing Assistance With Gearing :) (1 Viewer)

iKizzza

HSC
Hey guys, so I just need some clarification on this Gearing question.

In this practice question I'm doing the ratio is liabilities - 300,000 and Equity - 350,000

Which in turn is 85.7 C of Liabilities per $1 of Equity.

Is this good or bad for the business and what does it mean? I'm getting pretty confused with all these ratios but yeah, any help would be appreciated.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Usually gearing is presented in %, so it would be 86%. Under 100% gearing is good.

It basically shows the dependence the business has upon external finance to fund its activities. If a firm were to have a high gearing, such as 110% this would indicate a significant dependence for external finance, and is usually associated with higher risk due to the overall higher level of liabilities.

Does this make sense?

Examine

same
HSC
Usually gearing is presented in %, so it would be 86%. Under 100% gearing is good.

It basically shows the dependence the business has upon external finance to fund its activities. If a firm were to have a high gearing, such as 110% this would indicate a significant dependence for external finance, and is usually associated with higher risk due to the overall higher level of liabilities.

Does this make sense?
Very nicely explained. Good luck for the HSC.

RiFiPi

HSC
It's not always bad to have a high % of gearing debt to equity. It depends on the businesses position.
If it is in start up or expansion it is likely to have a higher % than if the business has settled in or at a steady state.
But in saying that, yes, it is generally bad to have a high % as it means the business is at risk due to interest rate/currency fluctuations.

It is also bad for a business to be under geared (having a % that is too low) as it means the business is not taking full advantage of its borrowing opportunities.

Our teacher says that generally 0.5 - 0.7 : 1 is good - which is 50% - 70%. But it changes depending on who you are talking to.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
It's not always bad to have a high % of gearing debt to equity. It depends on the businesses position.
If it is in start up or expansion it is likely to have a higher % than if the business has settled in or at a steady state.
But in saying that, yes, it is generally bad to have a high % as it means the business is at risk due to interest rate/currency fluctuations.

It is also bad for a business to be under geared (having a % that is too low) as it means the business is not taking full advantage of its borrowing opportunities.

Our teacher says that generally 0.5 - 0.7 : 1 is good - which is 50% - 70%. But it changes depending on who you are talking to.
You can't state what level of gearing is "correct", every business has different aspects impacting upon their need or dependence to externally source.

This includes:
- The type of operations processes and how capital intensive they are. E.g Qantas' operations are very capital intensive compared to an online store, you can't expect them to both have one figure to determine correct gearing.
-Every industry is different, this kinda relates to the first point but some industries can have different expectations of the use of external finance
-Prepared risk which management is willing to take, and the risk-reward of this outcome
- Amount of available equity and retailed profits

Various more, but you get the point. People are different and so are businesses, the only gearing i would compare is between businesses in the same industry. I know this may be venturing away from businesses but in real estate generally 80% gearing is the accepted amount by banks (for a normal residential house, rural and commercial properties again have different levels) before LMI is required. So i would think up to 80%, however my teacher said up to 100%.

So no, a higher gearing is not generally bad, as long as the firm can effectively MANAGE these liabilities. This initial high level of gearing can be the key to substantial growth in the future, although if not maintained can cause a wealth of problems.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
nah m8, ur completely wrong ^

source: 64 business studz repping

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say for bonus points, certain industries actually naturally favour higher gearing ratios due to the security which debt funding of the balance sheet offers. Look at any bank or financial institution- very rarely are these funded by equity given their role in society/market of facilitating the transfer of funds/savings and the associated risks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)