nerd eye for the jock guy (1 Viewer)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Hi all.

I've just been bestowed responsibilities over my brother's UAI and HSC marks. I'm gonna start from maths..

Basically, right now, he SUCKS @ maths. He's got pretty crap 3unit mark.. the list goes on forever.

good thing is, he's still year 11. And i've been feeding him stuffs about going ahead of class, doing past papers ASAP etc etc..

but still, he got crap marks. Now my parents are going crazy because they say "im not watching over him properly"..

so from today, im really giving him intense 3unit treatment. Any suggestions on how to "train" this guy to level 99 on maths?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Haha, watching over him???

You can't force someone to study and I think It would be escpecially hard as a brother.

I think the best way is positive encouragement. ie. reward him for doing well.

Also, a consistant 1 hour every night (no matter what) on exeercises is enough for top marks. By end of y11 i did every exercise in text book, and all that took was 1 hour a night.

However, it is simply difficult for some people to learn maths. If he doesn't do so well at maths it is unrealisetic to expect an overnight 99. Therefore, any improvement should be rewarded.

Math's is just practice + more practice. I personally don't see the point of spending time memorising formulas. Mabye make a fomula sheet 1 week before exam and revise over that.

In addition, don't do exercises on days before exam. It focuses you mind too much, when it should be considering considering a wide range of topics.

Hope this helps.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Oh my god, how cruel. How the hell are you going to do that?

Does he trust you, ie will he listen to what you say? If so, make sure he does his homework, sticks to a regular study pattern (not necisarily heavy, just regular) and make him your personal slave.

If not, you're screwed.

EDIT: Nice thread name. How about "From Dumbass to Top of the Class"? (I really hope your brother dosn't read that, and if he does, tell him I am joking, really I am)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
yeah, he listens to me, and always nods whenever i say something.. but that's what makes things difficult. does he really listen to me?

"From Dumbass to Top of the Class"
Good idea. I'm gonna fuel his ego, don't know if that'll work. Maybe keep on making him imagine getting the #1 spot?

However, it is simply difficult for some people to learn maths.
you're right, although I hope that can be changed, or my brother isn't stupid at maths, or else the job will be 3x harder :S.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol, some people find regular work tedious and near impossible.
trust me, that might be a BAD idea.

first thing, find out how he works and how he learns.

Another thing, some people can simply not do textbook questions (too boring and tedious. might not make sense to you, but trust me, i'm like that), but are able to do past exam paper questions. You might like to try that.

however, above everything else, don't let him nod. lol, you won't know if he learnt anything or not.

basically, in my opinion, it all comes down to how he works and how he learns.
:)

oh and, very rarely are people "stupid" at maths. Usually they just don't like the very rigid way maths is done. try various methods of teaching, like teach him a "graphical" method of doing maths. I'm sure thats possible. I mean, take perms/combs or probability. I learnt it visually.

lol, if he isn't good at maths and doesn't like it, you might even consider NOT getting him to do the higher levels of maths.

*retreats back to corner* :)

Last edited:

sammeh

ridiculous that your parents would put the responsibility for your BROTHERS maths mark in YOUR hands. . . way to begin some severe mental issues for the both of you in later life :p

in all seriousness, im not really in a position to comment considering that i do basically no revision or study but im just good at maths. im still topping my classes etc with good marks in 3 and 4 unit. but, were i to actually study, i would advise getting hold of as many past papers as possible and just getting him to do them. just do the questions that he can at first, then work your way through. as long as you are there to help him, it should work out just peachy - some people need guidance to truly "get" something (im one of these people in some areas of maths, ie induction. . . urgh).

anyway, good luck to you.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
hrmm.. good point. not everybody is a natural maths genius, and not everybody is hard-working.

I wonder if the latter can be changed.. by giving enough motivation...

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
they say habit is second nature.

nature is your nature, I'd say impossible to change your basic nature.

anyway, not hard working isn't usually a habit, its more nature.

lol, thats just twisted. What I mean is this:
if he isn't hard working, he isn't hard working. Don't try to convert him into a hard worker. You'll hafta try something else if he isn't hard working.

Motivation only motivates so far. lol, esp if the person knows what the motivation is for. :)

CrashOveride

HSC
In other words, it's entirely up to him where he wants to go. Every man is responsible for his destiny and his destiny alone.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Every man is responsible for his destiny and his destiny alone.
True.. it's their responsibilities. But there has been so many ocassions on the past that one person's action changes million's destiny. Although i dont think i should start thinking philosophically when my semester is about to start :S. btw you should rephrase your sentence for political correctness :D

thanks for the suggestions people! i've done enough motivation talk I think, and i cannot change that factor of his thought anymore. Right now i'm focusing on his mistakes on maths, i ask him to circle the questions that he got wrong in exams, and show it to me afterwards, so I know what his weaknesses are etc..

During my HSC, I found that doing past papers = extremely good for marks. I think i'm gonna start the same treatment with him, however I want him to start it way earlier, therefore he must finish his course earlier too.. :S

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
BEAT with a STICK..
j/k "P

umm your lucky hes still in year 11... simplify the concepts
got thru pass papers hes done with him and clarify wat he thinks is his problem.. then focusing on wat u need.. *tip: grab a mofo of a pen and circle in red his 'issues' take a look at his notes to see wat hes learning in school n organisation.. it will improve his life.. not just maths..

if its the basics go over them.. mabbe there is a hole in his basic understanding?!
after that then past papers will benefit..

my sis is a lil slow in math so i just try to concrete the basic stuff for her.. its 2u so even tho its obvious to me i still hav to find her problems..

oooo use devices and practice to keep the stuff in the head.. :)
hope that helps

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol, another thing:
I don't think many people appreciate how much you develop mathematically in two years.
You just don't realise.

pre-year 10, you don't do much.

just relax, if by the end of the year your brother isn't doing well, then end of year holidays you can aggresively tutor him. for now, just take it easy.

edit: hang on, wtf, half the year's over already.
-.-"
year 11 makes me think beggining of the year. damn it. >.<

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i changed to ruse in yr 11.. had to catch up on fitzpatrick 2u and 3u :| failed first 3 exams (~15%).. yr 11 is a good catch up time.. lolz i was performing soo badly in 3U.. i was RECOMMENDED to do 2U :p so there is always hope.. determination is the variable

kleo_cjk

well hi people!! guess what!?
it just happen that i'm his brother here...

and lol!? what he says is completely bs! lol~ nah, i'm not getting angry over this~
but heheh im not that suffering from what he says~

well guess wat, he never turns out tutoring me any math.. only a few times, and that's when i'm asking him question! not that he told me to do stuffs! XD

what kind of brother is he!?

and well, im taking 4U, lol i'm coping here~
but thnx for ur consideration~ i agree~ u can't force people to move out of their habitat can you?
so thnx anyways to every1 here~
xcept.. that person " +Po1ntDeXt3r+ " beat me with sticks?? lol~!

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
you see, from his way of typing messages, you can derive his personality

no offense intended for people who overuse ~ and emoticons

just trying to sound way cooler by seeming cold

good night

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
well guess wat, he never turns out tutoring me any math.. only a few times, and that's when i'm asking him question! not that he told me to do stuffs! XD
Hey, blame software engineering. Im sure fellow software engineers would understand this.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
ahhh
the brotherly love

XD

lmao

hehhe, I have THREE brothers. So be sure to tell me what works and what doesn't underthesun. ;-)

btw, what IS the "~" 'emoticon'? I've seen people do stuff like =P~ etc, but I have no idea what that could be. :-\

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
wat if he doesnt like maths??? I dont mind maths, 3 unit serves me fine but gosh 4u intimidates. I'd much prefer 4 unit english, maybe your bro does to, I'm not sure of the particulars but goodluck assisting him ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)