• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

networking internet?! PC -> Mac (1 Viewer)

Lazy Lankan

HSC
well i don't know what it's called, but ... i've got a desktop PC and a Powerbook Laptop. i've got adsl with primus. how can i connect to the internet on my laptop WIRELESSLY using that connection?

ive been reading up on it and ive figured out that i need to have an AirPort Extreme Card like installed in my laptop - which i already have. ive been asking around and every1 is talking about a router and a network card for my PC.

then i found this thing on the Apple website - an AirPort Express! so im not sure what i need?!?! is this AirPort Express thing like a kind of router?!?

im guessing that all I need is a network card for my PC and the AirPort Express? is that right?!

sunny

meh.
HSC
The Apple Airport Express is just another wireless router. You don't necessarily need the Airport Express to network your PC and Mac and share the ADSL connection - any old router compatible with both your PC's network card and your Mac's network card will do.

Lazy Lankan

HSC
ok sweet so the Airport Express is a router! i dont have an 'old' router so ill just get that one! and i already have the network card in the laptop ....... but now, how do i check whether my PC has a network card or not?!? i doubt it does coz its about 5 yrs old! but how do i check neway?

sunny

meh.
HSC
If you are running Windows: Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager (or similar, depending on your version of Windows), and see if you have any items listed under "Network Adapters".

Keep in mind that the Airport Express is wireless only, ie, you can't connect anything else other than your ADSL modem to it with a wire, and at 5 years old, your computer is unlikely to have a wireless network card, so you won't be able to connect your computer to the router unless you buy a wireless network card.

Or if you have a wired network card in your computer, you can get other routers which have wireless and wired connections.

Lazy Lankan

HSC
ok so i did the check for the network card - didn't find anything - so I definately need one ... BUT i just saw something weird as ... was lookin at my modem, which is a NetComm NB1300, and saw this - 'Ethernet/USB ADSL Modem ROUTER'

so now im like completely confused!! has my modem got an inbuilt router?!? and if it does will it be compatible with my Mac Laptop?! coz i haven't actually got my laptop yet! ive ordered it - so im not sure if that will do the job or not?!?

woodwardbrett

HSC
Your ibook will pretty much work with any wireless router (check router specs tho).... i am using a netgear (model MR814) that i picked up on ebay for about $60.00 (search under "wireless router")... works fantasically. i have the modem and router in the dining room with the answering machine etc with a ethernet (network) cable running fromt the router to my imac desktop and i can use my g4 ibook anywhere in the house wirelessly.

just set it up with the ADSL (phone line) line going into the modem, then a network cable out of the modem into the router (instead of into ur pc) then connect the router to ur pc. you will now be able to use the net and share files/printers etc on both ur ibook and pc.... also the model of router i have allows for 4 wired connections and unlimited wireless connections ..... so u could run a whole shit load of computers off it.

Hope this helps... Good Luck

P.S. MAC'S ARE AWESOME

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)