• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Networks (1 Viewer)

hitokiri__

HSC
Hey guys, i was goin through my excel IT book, and it had some information on networks in the Operate Computer Hardware chapter. I thought networks was en elective?

Does that mean I'll have to study for that too then? =/

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
no i dont think thats inthe syllabus are u talkin bout the types of network topologies bus star ring no dont think so

HSC
hitokiri__ said:
Hey guys, i was goin through my excel IT book, and it had some information on networks in the Operate Computer Hardware chapter. I thought networks was en elective?

Does that mean I'll have to study for that too then? =/
network topologies are in the syllabus, its split up (in my notes at least)

- available topologies, features advantages and disadvantages
- protocols (ie. gateway etc.)
- security measures (router etc.)

if they ask a question on a report recommending setting up a network it'll come in handy ;D

hitokiri__

HSC
oh mate, if they ask for a report based on network recommendations, im screwed. i've read it over and over and its not sinkin in @__@
but thanks for lettin me know..maybe its best if i just memorise without understanding.

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
Extended response ... boy, im sure that will involve another fun OH+S report, Floorplan layout, and software installation :p

You watch, ill eat those words when the first one asks to set an office up with a Bus network, asking me to configure proxies and a gateway :|

hitokiri__

HSC
haha mate, i'll hold you to that. ill log on after IT exam, sacrifice valuable study time just to watch you eat those words up :p

busterblues

04 Info Tech First in HSC
HSC
Operate Computer Hardware.....I cant remember if that was an elective or a compulsory unit. But i know it definately did it.

Look I think it SHOULD be a compulsory unit though. There is nothing worse than seeing people later in life in IT related studies that dont know what to do when their PC/laptop wont turn on properly (I see it all the time in Computer Science even!).

If you havent already done it or you are sitting around doing nothing in IT and you are interested in further IT studies, PLEASE read through this unit and make sure you understand this material very well.

Im sure networks is a part of Operate Computer Hardware but I dont think it goes as in depth as you are suggesting there. It depends what your teacher thinks is in depth enough as they are the ones who are assessing you. But i think this unit should only go as deep as understanding what a network is and how to plug a computer into a basic Windows TCP/IP network (or maybe a Novell NetWare IPX-TCP/IP network if your school goes that way :p).

I wouldnt worry too much about needing to write a report on how to set up a network though that is a bit extreme for this course I would have thought. It might get asked as deep as this...

"In a report to the manager, what server and desktop components would you suggest for a small business network needing only bare-basic IT requirements on a small technology budget?"

damnit

HSC
Networks are not part of any core competencies. That said the official board blurp indicates that elective units MAY be examined, yet to date they have not been.
As what to know, it would be rare that you need to expand more than saying that different networks exist for different reasons. If you want me to explain more on networks I can but think your time would be better served on core units.

busterblues

04 Info Tech First in HSC
HSC
There will be basic hardware related questions in the IT paper that you will need to answer for sure. Some of these are covered in the Operate Computer Hardware elective. They arent going to ask you anything complecated they just need to know that you understand the basic components of a computer. So dont freak out ok :)

Bryce

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)