New BA at UNSW? (1 Viewer)

sirfeathers

HSC
Hey everyone,

I'm a Year 12 student thinking of doing a BA as part of a combined degree at UNSW next year. I've heard that they're restructuring the BA program for next year, but I can't find any info about it anywhere.

Does anyone know more about this? And exactly what is going to be different from the old BA? New majors/courses? Different program structure?

Any info would be great, because as I said, there doesn't seem to be that much about it online yet.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is in the middle of a restructure - they've cut the number of schools in the faculty from 12 to 5. This is probably why you are having trouble finding any info about them.

I don't know how much the restructure will affect the undergraduate program.

My observation after 4 years study at UNSW is that the degrees regularly get re-badged with new and wonderful sounding names (like "international studies," which is just an arts degree with a compulsory foreign language) but the actual number of subjects on offer inevitably declines.

Unfortunately, I don't think it is just UNSW. It reflects the lack of funding for tertiary education in Australia in general.

In short, if you actually want to know anything in particular, I suggest you track down a real live human being and ask them. You could try talking to some of the program coordinators which you should be able to find on the faculty of arts website.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
A History lecturer told me that they're changing the subject names to less imaginative titles, for example: Ancient History 1, 2, 3, etc, and they're taking subjects that used to have 2 courses and putting them into one.
But they're also instituting new majors and minors, like archaeology.

Last edited:

sirfeathers

HSC
Thanks everyone for the info, it's very much appreciated.

Iruka said:
My observation after 4 years study at UNSW is that the degrees regularly get re-badged with new and wonderful sounding names (like "international studies," which is just an arts degree with a compulsory foreign language) but the actual number of subjects on offer inevitably declines.
Yup. I just found this out first hand. They're scrapped the Political Economy major plan which is what I wanted to do :vcross:

bringbackshred said:
Don't do Arts at UNSW. That's all I'm going to say.
I really want to do the combined Advanced Mathematics/ Arts program though. Sydney Uni is better for Arts I know but UNSW is way better for the maths.

D. said:
A History lecturer told me that they're changing the subject names to less imaginative titles, for example: Ancient History 1, 2, 3, etc, and they're taking subjects that used to have 2 courses and putting them into one.
But they're also instituting new majors and minors, like archaeology.
That doesn't sound too bad...

doink

Clone
HSC
sirfeathers said:
I really want to do the combined Advanced Mathematics/ Arts program though. Sydney Uni is better for Arts I know but UNSW is way better for the maths.
Is this from your many years experience at both universities or something you heard from a school friend who heard from a friend who heard from a maths student at UNSW?

I could easily say that USYD is better for maths but i don't know since i havn't done it at UNSW.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
I used to be in Arts at Usyd but really didn't like it and transferred to UNSW. I wouldn't recommend Usyd Arts over UNSW, but then again, other people are of the opposite view. Meh.

lionking1191

HSC
Well USYD was rated as having the 5th best arts faculty in the world (Times, 06) but from what I've seen UNSW has better program structure. eg. language - unsw has more practical language electives at advanced levels (but then I guess it depends on personal interest/needs)

also with the International Studies degree, i think USYD scrapped it recently? they now have a global.int'l studies program which sounds very different to what unsw and uts have

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)