• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

new CBA netbank fees (2 Viewers)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
confirmed: they are charging students for netbank fees
i have made too many transactions so when will i be charged? at the time of the statement because i want to check this myself rather than rely on the phone operator.

is anyone else not impressed?

50c per direct debit to third parties (after the first 3) is a bit much

if i become an ebayer will it be worth starting another account?

i am thinking i should wait and see if anz introduce fees, if not i should make them my primary bank account and keep commonwealth open because it's free because i am a student. when i am no longer a student i can see which one suits me better

Last edited:

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
I'm closing down my cba accounts tommorow.

Now banking with St George, i've transferred all my cash out.

MoNNiE

HSC
WTH!!
thats ludicous! i transfer money all the time
i guess if we don't want to be slabbed with the 50cent transfer fee each time we could just walk into the bank and do it there?! but =='' diee commonwealth
though i'll never close one of my accounts... i love the number too much!

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
shit!

better read that commbank letter.

i think i have less then 3 direct debits per month. so should be ok.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
do they charge the transfer fees all at once or at the end of the month / statement period? i have done 6 netbank transfers since the 1st of may and if i get charged i will not be happy at all. i am definitely calling them tomorrow to make sure they are charging students

edit: i HEARD they are charging students, i will CHECK tomorrow, of their customer service was opened later i would call them now

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Considering I always buy crap from eBay, fuck commonwealth off, goddammit like they don't already overcharge in all the other "fees" fucken greedy bastards...I think I will def change to another bank. Hmm alternative bank recommendations anyone?

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
yenta said:
Considering I always buy crap from eBay, fuck commonwealth off, goddammit like they don't already overcharge in all the other "fees" fucken greedy bastards...I think I will def change to another bank. Hmm alternative bank recommendations anyone?
St George Bank!

I love their multi access visa card, i love their dragon direct account, i love their low fees & excellent statement and their excellent customer service.

Top notch all rounder.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
LaZy_KoReAn said:
St George Bank!

I love their multi access visa card, i love their dragon direct account, i love their low fees & excellent statement and their excellent customer service.

Top notch all rounder.
Do u know if st george charges fees for students? Also, do they charge for ATM withdrawals that aren't from their ATMs? Cheers

chepas

HSC
Yeah St George charge from non-St George ATMs. No Monthly Account-Keeping fee for students, unlimited free net and phone banking. But only 10 free withdrawals each month (including two over the counter). (Freedom Student Account).

According to their brochure... I just opened one so I can use it as an eBay account for PayPal, so. :rolleyes:.

I got that CBA Netbank letter too. I didn't read it though lol now wishing I had. The format's all changed. I still think that it's still free for students. Maybe the 50c/transfer is to pay for the new look site...

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
yenta said:
Do u know if st george charges fees for students? Also, do they charge for ATM withdrawals that aren't from their ATMs? Cheers
As long as you prove you're a student, no you don't.

And also of course you get charged for using other atm's since is not part of st george's network you're using.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
You won't be a student all your life so you might as well spend some time and find a proper account with the options you want.

The new fees suck but I wasn't expecting any less of them. banking is the type of industry where you announce billion dollar profits and 5 minutes later under the same breath say you will lay off a couple thousand staff :rolleyes:

I've had an ezy account for a while and had the transactions go from free to 5 a month to everything outside of woolworths is charged in under 2 years. It's absolute BS but all you can do is find a place that is nicer to you.

chepas

HSC
iambored said:
if i become an ebayer will it be worth starting another account?
If you primarily want an account for eBay then go for St George. They have unlimited free phone and netbanking (as of today 27/5/05!!!), plus that MultiAccess Card Visa thing is good if you have sellers that want to receive payments by PayPal, so you can use the Credit Card feature for it. I find PayPal an infinitely better option anyway (complete avoidance of any bank fees - all that burden is born by the seller ;)).

LaZy_KoReAn said:
As long as you prove you're a student, no you don't.
This isn't the case. The fine print on the brochure for the Freedom Student account says that fees will be charged for when you use the card in non St George/Bank SA atms. The same with that CBA Student Streamline Thingo account.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
chepas said:
This isn't the case. The fine print on the brochure for the Freedom Student account says that fees will be charged for when you use the card in non St George/Bank SA atms. The same with that CBA Student Streamline Thingo account.
Nice pick up. I have stopped reading the TOS for other people, threads like this happen every month and really it's their own personal finances. If their own money is not worth enough time to go read some fine print for then there's no saving them because they will just get suckered one way or another.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
chepas said:
If you primarily want an account for eBay then go for St George. They have unlimited free phone and netbanking (as of today 27/5/05!!!), plus that MultiAccess Card Visa thing is good if you have sellers that want to receive payments by PayPal, so you can use the Credit Card feature for it. I find PayPal an infinitely better option anyway (complete avoidance of any bank fees - all that burden is born by the seller ;)).

Duh??? Is not st george that's charging you. Is the other bank, dope. use common sense :p

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
LaZy_KoReAn said:
Duh??? Is not st george that's charging you. Is the other bank, dope. use common sense :p
Duh?? You don't seem to realise it's St George that will be charging you as their name will appear on the bill, the other bank doesn't send you a bill when you use their atm. I get 5 free withdrawals from ANY bank ATM a month with my account.

Why don't you read your reply again and stop jumping on people, St. George will charge you a fee from using another banks ATM machine, that was the question. It's like asking any company if they will be charging you the GST? It's the government who implements the tax and gets the money it's just the end business that will charge it to you, the government doesn't send you a bill for 10% of whatever you bought. Same with St. George they WILL CHARGE YOU A FEE for using other bank ATMs.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
Duh?? You don't seem to realise it's St George that will be charging you as their name will appear on the bill, the other bank doesn't send you a bill when you use their atm. I get 5 free withdrawals from ANY bank ATM a month with my account.

Why don't you read your reply again and stop jumping on people, St. George will charge you a fee from using another banks ATM machine, that was the question. It's like asking any company if they will be charging you the GST? It's the government who implements the tax and gets the money it's just the end business that will charge it to you, the government doesn't send you a bill for 10% of whatever you bought. Same with St. George they WILL CHARGE YOU A FEE for using other bank ATMs.
I "THOUGHT" banks controlled the atm's and therefore THEY make a profit out of the atm's, therefore some organisations buyout atm's if they didn't make a profit why would they buy out atm's? like non-bank atm's and other bank's atms?

7th Sign

HSC
good thing im under 18 commonwealth cant make me pay any of these extra net bank fees :D ....i make about 5 transactions a day....when i turn 18 i will be changing to st george netbank for sure.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)