New Computer parts (1 Viewer)

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
So after much pain and agony it's time to get a new computer.

So I'm building a new Desktop myself. But because I haven't built or pulled apart a PC since Pentium 4s had just come out, I'm a little rusty. So after much research for what I want/need the computer to be able to do this is the list I've come up with.

Basically what I need is to make sure I haven't put together any incompatable parts. I've checked them again and again, checking voltages etc... but I'm sure I'm going to miss something.

So If you see any issues would you point them out :)

Motherboard - GA EX58-UD5

Processor – Core i7 920

RAM - CORSAIR TR3X6G1333C9 6GB (3x XMS3 2GB) PC-10600 (1333MHz) XMS DDR3 For X58 MB i7 Core, 3x240-pin DIMMs, Triple Kit, 9-9-9-24, 1.50V

Graphics Card – Palit G.Force GTX260 896MB DDR3 Sonic

Hard Drives – 2 x 500GB 7200rpms Seagate

Case –Antec Nine Hundred

PSU –"Cooler Master Extreme Power+ POWER PLUS RS-650 RS650 650Watt

Disk Drive - Generic SATA DVD-RW (probably LG or something)

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
Damn! I wish i could get a PC like that.

I cant see any problems with it - have fun with that.

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
The only suggestion i would make to that system would be to spend a bit less money of a graphics card (like a 9800 or something for example) and wait for NVIDIA to release its GTX300 model in Q4 and then get one of those.

They're an entirely new architecture and i think they're compatible with current motherboards.

K

khorne

Don't get that PSU...get a Corsair Hx520/620 or something from seasonic etc.

-s2-

HSC
I'm using the Antec 900; it's so annoying with cabling because the PSU goes at the bottom. Be careful to get a PSU with cables long enough to crawl under/over your graphics card to reach the top of the motherboard etc, I had to get my PSU refunded 'cos it didn't reach etc etc, yawn. gl.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Why do you have so much ram?

Only get 4gig and get a gtx275 graphics card.

Also, what are you doing about a monitor, speakers and keyboard/mouse? If you're going to go hardcore with the stuff inside the box, you should also consider some decent hardware when it comes to the stuff that you actually interact with.

Last edited:

Teclis

HSC
@Gibbatron - I think I'll stick with the Higher end Graphics card as I'm doing some pretty serious Video editing.

@ Khorne and Sonata... is there any particular reason to not get it?

@-s2- Thanks for the warning. Do me a favour would you... measure it and see if 450mm is enough.

@jumb The reason I have so much RAM is for Video editing. In triple Channel, which is the way you configure your RAM in i7 mobos, means 3,6,9 or 12 GB... and 3 is too little for what I've done... so 6 it is.

But I did decide to go with the GTX275 anyway.

For a mouse I have the Logitech MX revolution already... and it's brilliant so I'll use that.

For a screen I'm going with a Samsung 21.5 full HD monitor... I'm not going bigger because I don't have enough Desk space.

For a Keyboard I'll go with something comfortable... probably something cheap with a countoured base for comfort.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Why does this write up remind me of something...

HSC
So after much pain and agony it's time to get a new computer.

So I'm building a new Desktop myself. But because I haven't built or pulled apart a PC since Pentium 4s had just come out, I'm a little rusty. So after much research for what I want/need the computer to be able to do this is the list I've come up with.

Basically what I need is to make sure I haven't put together any incompatable parts. I've checked them again and again, checking voltages etc... but I'm sure I'm going to miss something.

So If you see any issues would you point them out :)

Motherboard - GA EX58-UD5

Processor – Core i7 920

RAM - CORSAIR TR3X6G1333C9 6GB (3x XMS3 2GB) PC-10600 (1333MHz) XMS DDR3 For X58 MB i7 Core, 3x240-pin DIMMs, Triple Kit, 9-9-9-24, 1.50V

Graphics Card – Palit G.Force GTX260 896MB DDR3 Sonic

Hard Drives – 2 x 500GB 7200rpms Seagate

Case –Antec Nine Hundred

PSU –"Cooler Master Extreme Power+ POWER PLUS RS-650 RS650 650Watt

Disk Drive - Generic SATA DVD-RW (probably LG or something)

where do u buy all these parts from anyways?

Teclis

HSC
I designed the system myself after reading a heap of reviews and such, making little changes etc as I went... checking parts (so like having to make sure the RAM was compatable with the motherboard)

I'm sourcing the parts from different locations.

www.megabuy.com.au

CCPU in Carlingford

And I already have the power supply as freebie from a friend (still in the box... It didn't power his other system and they wouldn't take it back, so he gave it to me)

And I canabalised the DVD drive from an old computer... still works beautifully :)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
are they any good?

store in general :)
Yeah, did work placement with them and just quoted a system for a friend through them.

Just go in with some knowledge, cause they WILL try and rip you off with parts which are not needed.

I.E. a QC processor for CSSource when i only need a DC processor.

HSC
Yeah, did work placement with them and just quoted a system for a friend through them.

Just go in with some knowledge, cause they WILL try and rip you off with parts which are not needed.

I.E. a QC processor for CSSource when i only need a DC processor.
hmm... ok kool thanks :)

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Cooler Master Extreme Power+ POWER PLUS RS-650 RS650 650Watt
Nope, go Corsair instead:

HX620

$180.00

Stay away from Cooler Master power supplies. If you don't want Corsair, go Seasonic or Antec.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
@jumb The reason I have so much RAM is for Video editing. In triple Channel, which is the way you configure your RAM in i7 mobos, means 3,6,9 or 12 GB... and 3 is too little for what I've done... so 6 it is.
Ah, makes sense. You sound like you know what you're doing, so I have nothing else to add.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)