New Focus: Institutions (1 Viewer)

yetsune

HSC
This thread is for the new AoS: Institutions and It's effects on Individuals.

Q: Has anyone got any ideas on related texts for this topic?
I already have:

1. Raw (Scott Monk) prescribed text.
2. The Big House 1997 (3-part documentary by David Goldie)
3. The Truman Show ? (just an idea)

post any more you can think of.

emca

HSC
Hi,
I'd avoid the Truman show. any text that is already on the text list is bad news. Truman show is part of the image module. by doing it you are telling the marker that you couldn't be bothered getting other texts.
check out -scales of justice your school will have the video. part 1 highlights police corruption and how individuals in institutions dont comply with their rules. it demonstrates the sexist attitudes of male police towards females even though the police force has an equal opportunity policy that means gender is irrelevant. Here is the hint for nailing this module. read the rubric your teacher should have given it to you. It details the content. check out the key words and make sure you can write a paragraph outlining what your texts say about each.

Off the top of my head the key words are protest, complaince, positive, negative, values, attitudes, experience.

so for instance

Brett demonstrates his negative attitude towards the police, an institution in the opening of the novel. ( this is a good opening sentence to a paragraph, you have to find a technique like coloqual language - he calls them pigs and explain what this demonstrates
In contrast Brett learns that the farm an alternative institution to gaol can help him get his life back on track this positive experience.....

Find some related material that is factual, that supports the ideas that Monk conveys in the novel. For instance the % of prisoners in jail that have been there before. This suggests that the prison system is failing and alternatives like the farm are more beneficial. It should'nt be too hard to find the information.

Alternatively make it up.
Watch this space......

According to an article in the Sydney Morning Herald publish on 4 March 2007 entitled " jails just schools for criminals" 53.2% of inmates in nsw prisons have been inprisoned on one or more previous occasions. The article states "This demonstrates the failings of this institution to reform prisoners before releasing them back into society" it is all made up but it is easier than trying to memorise related material and the markers are not going to go to the library and look for the article to prove your lying.

damn I've nearly written a whole essay and I did my HSC 2 years ago. this stuff is stuck in my head and no matter how much I drink it wont escape

LYSquare

Premium Member
HSC
Hi this is my first post on this site.
I have just started doing Raw in my class. I'm an International student myself, and we had a really great discussion about "Institution". My teacher gave an idea that you could find International Students and using their experience as a related material. I'm pretty much sure the school system in Asia is so much differnt to the school system in Australia. And it's a great example of an "Institution".

dunnzii

HSC
Does anyone have any related texts that's easily relatable to "Raw" by Scott Monk

melio89

HSC
dunnzii said:
Does anyone have any related texts that's easily relatable to "Raw" by Scott Monk
House MD ... and i had like 15 articles bt my teacher said they were all hard to use:rofl:

jelz5

HSC
omggg ur so0o0o funny ...dats smart ...i should make up my own article as related material.eheheh fankz u gsve me an idea and a bit of a laugh :):):):););)

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
Goulburn Supermax - documentary on ABC's Four Corners about the high security gaol in Goulburn called Supermax. its a great related text as it shows the different viewpoints from ex prisoners, prison guards and commissioner, as well as professors from various universities.

scottytoohotty2

HSC
hey what do you guys think about of the related text "the prison song" by system of a down? any good?

rebecca9

HSC
i really recomend doing the film shawshank redemption directed by Frank Darabont.
i did my essay on raw, shawshank and a juvenille justice centre that i researched. but i really say go for shawshank

all you have to talk about is the abuse of power one has over another, brutality and how an individual chooses to disempower another, how a person becomes institutionalised.

abuse of power and brutality in shawshank relates to tyson in raw.

institutionalisation can be related to josh in raw and how he relies on the farm.

trust me its heaps easy. if your interested ill give you some of my notes.

Breezy4

HSC
Hi.. Im breezy, just signed up for bored of studies, having bit of trouble knowing what to do. haha. hope everybody is good and not stressing that we are into our last term of SCHOOL!!!

im from young high school and our class is doing raw by Scott Monk at the moment. I love the novel. Think its fantastic..... but i'm having trouble with finding good related material for this module.

Rebecca 9 hi. lol. you said Shawshank Redemption would be good, do you think it is easy to relate too? Are you or have you used it?

Don't know what else to do!!!:uhoh:

any help will be great guys. All stay safe

xox

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
one flew over the cuckoo's nest

thts a gud related text!

Breezy4

HSC
haiderr said:
one flew over the cuckoo's nest

thts a gud related text!

Hey haiderr, never heard of 'one flew over the cuckoo's nest' before... is that what your using? thanks anyways though!

our teacher is givien us jail related material we can look at, so i might find something there. think might do shawshank redemption though plus this poem or artcile i have.

have u finished raw yet? 9 weeks to go. yay!. lol.

Breezy
xox

scottytoohotty2

HSC
Hey Breezy4 , just signed on to bos the other day! and just saw a few of ya replies and stuff, so your looking for a reelated text? im doing raw my scott monk atm too and im lookign for related texts too, i think shawshank is way over used and i suggets that youy do not do it! thousands of poeple weill be doing shawshank and to get top marks for your essay using shawshank it will have to be pretty dam good!! cuz think of how many ppl are doing it who will anylise that text well, i suggest using a related text such as "blue murder" " " magdiline sisters"( i think its called lol) or even lyrics froma song as they are a little less used and when examiners see them they'l enjoy reeading something a lil differant !! im still looking but i havent watched the magdiline sisters yettt!! fingers crossed! goodddd luck oi, btw did u know a teacher at your school a bit ago, MR OWEN? he was at my school then moved to young now moved to somewhereelse! later

WinteRHeaRtS

HSC
Girl interrupted is good, As well as One flew ove rthe cukoo's nest and Shawshank but I wouldn't choose Shawshank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)