• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

new HECS system (1 Viewer)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
You're in debt, they take any money and assets you have to pay it off (I don't think they can take stuff off your family though).

And no, you don't pay interest on HECS but they do adjust it according to the CPI (inflation)

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
so with these hecs changes next year, if i start my degree this year, does that mean i'm exempt, like the increases only apply to ppl starting in 05?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
ok cool...i feel kinda lucky

but of course fees will still rise for us cos of inflation rite?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
You're in debt, they take any money and assets you have to pay it off (I don't think they can take stuff off your family though).
Actually I was reading the HECS book on the way to enrollment the other day. It turns out that HECS is one of those wonderful kinds of debt where the balance is cancelled on occassion of death.

SO, my plan is to go and become a career academic - I'll get a PhD, stress myself out and die of relief when I get the award.

---------
To explain WHY HECS is cancelled at death, I'll use the booklet's explanation of why it was implemented. Back in 1982 students were able to study at university for free. However, this was an extremely expensive system for the government to support, and it was "deemed reasonable" that students would contribute to the cost of providing education which would ultimately lead to a better life for them. Thus, should one die with an outstanding HECS debt, there is nobody left to benefit from that person's studies. Hence it would become unfair for someone else to pay for said studies.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
yeah, but they take it out of your assets/estate, although they can't ask ur relatives for money

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
actually since hecs fees are calculated in accordance with the CPI (inflation), the increase in HECS won't really make a difference to us because wages usually rise in accordance with inflation, so therefore cancelling out the increase in inflation.

hope ya get me, thats not the technical explanation but for those planning to do econ1002, you will learn it!! LOL...

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
yeah i know, but while we're still studying and not working, it feels as if its substantially increasing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)