New 'I want to buy a laptop' Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
gracie007 said:
did you have a look at the c-series vaio?

Edit:
Tulipa said:
What about something like this:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/au/e...123071-1123071-1123071-12833604-78150455.html

It's small, light and in your price range. In comparison the same Vaio is a great deal more expensive.
That one, however, has a slower core duo processor instead of Core 2 duo. Also, the B1900 (the version down from the B1959 which is listed at the same price) seems to have problems with battery life being too short.

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebooks/0,39050488,39269560p,00.htm
^note the user rating of 6.1/10 as opposed to the 9/10 editor rating.

The maximum battery capacity appears to be the 6-cell, but i'd guess the 4-cell is the standard one.

Last edited:

gracie007

HSC
The_highwayman said:
did you have a look at the c-series vaio?

yeah, thatd be awesome to get one of them but apparently they are way overpriced and i can get the same specs for cheaper with a diff brand. where, i dont know.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Ditto. I've always bought IBM Thinkpads, they're slightly overpriced, but worth it for the build quality in my opinion.

kenny156

Zoidberg Rocks!
HSC
gracie007 said:
yeah, thatd be awesome to get one of them but apparently they are way overpriced and i can get the same specs for cheaper with a diff brand. where, i dont know.
HP dv6000t. 15.4" screen, Core 2 Duo T7200 processor, 2GB Memory, 120GB Hard Drive. I this plus a couple of other things with it (Microsoft Office, Vista, Wireless internet etc) for $1629. If you go to the HP website, you can customise your own and find out how much it will cost for what you want. You can get more than I got (I was tempted to go the 200GB Hard Drive) but unfortunately money isn't endless!!

Can I also add that this compares well to the macbook pro for a helluva lot less in cost.

anyway, just have a look at the HP site and come up with your own combination.

kenny156

Zoidberg Rocks!
HSC
The_highwayman said:
13.3" is more portable though :/
true, but i dont find a 15" that bad to carry around. especially not compared to a 17" !!!!!!! i suppose it depends on how far you're carrying it...

ps the only other i could find similar to this was Dell's XPS.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
The_highwayman said:
even though thats what everybody is saying, i still really want a vaio myself - i always have. I don't mind paying that little bit extra if i get something i really want.
I bought a VAIO and I don't think it was too overpriced, it had all the specs I wanted, pretty light weight and I've heard mostly good things about VAIOs and all my sony products have lasted ages, never had problems with them. I'd suggest my model but it is discontinued so i got a good deal :) 2.4kg, 2ghz processor, windows XP prof (thank god) , 512mb ram, 80gb HDD, 14.1 inch monitor, wireless, webcam etc... for $1790 and my b/f got the same model a month later for $1690

For lightweight I'd say Sony, Asus, some Toshiba's they are all good brands.
Dell's tend to be bulky and I havent had problem with the Dell's in our house but i havent heard great things.

Try and take someone who knows about computers when u shop because I see people go out and buy something crap because a sales person has told them. If not do your research and look for reviews online. Good luck

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
politik said:
Stay away from Acer/Dell/HP/Compaq/i-com, etc.
Working with hundred's of HP/Compaq devices that have lasted years...
I'd be inclined to ignore that advice.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
sunny said:
Ditto. I've always bought IBM Thinkpads, they're slightly overpriced, but worth it for the build quality in my opinion.
My brother only recently got rid of a '98 Thinkpad that has lasted through three owners, a number of upgrades and was still working fine. The only problem? Couldn't upgrade the RAM any further and it was too slow for his liking.

Selmer2

HSC
N/A
Hi!

It's a pity you don't want anything from apple since the new books have intel processors for all your micro$oft needs. I am quite fond of them.

Concerning lT equipment, brand (system manufacturers) doesn't mean anything at all, its the components you should be interested in.

There are a tonn of notebooks for you to chose, but this is what your should look for concerning your needs:

intel core (merom) processor (speed in your case doesn't matter) - you don't need a dual core.

They have excellent efficiency which gives you a long battery life and of course they perform fast.

hard drive most def. with a serial interface a.k.a SATA for you.

display device nothing fancy needed here anything really will do since you won't be playing f.e.a.r on it. Anything not needed will waste your battery life. Any graphics these days will play your divX beautifully.

they all come with a NIC (network interface card) but gigabit ethernet would be nice for you.

extra peripherial connectivity dosen't matter except usb 2.0 is a must, and is normally standard.

If you really want a DVD RW+ than go for it, but if you have your doubts about it don't get it cause for laptops they still co$t a bit. If you want it for storage terms flashROM media (thumbs and powerless drives) are a better option and cheap.

In terms of wireless wi fi access it doesn't matter, that's right is doesn't matter! The popular 802.11g 54mbps (some up to 108mbps) usb sticks are like $20 these days so being integrated doesn't matter. Although almost every laptop has a wireless component these days. 802.11g is the best standard for mobile wi fi imo.

In terms of were to buy. 2 options for best price:

1) The best for new laptops is Ebay they churn out new laptops every day at unbelievable savings, it is a hotspot for notebooks. Best to watch sales for 5 days and then buy (so you know the prices)

2) shopbot.com.au, once you found a model and the spider will crawl for best retail price.

With 1.5 - 2.0K you will prob get more than you were expecting

bYe.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
politik said:
Sony products are all overpriced - and Vaio's offer nothing substantial over other brands.

Either get a tough, reliable x86 like IBM/Lenovo or a powerful x86 like MacBook Pro. Stay away from Acer/Dell/HP/Compaq/i-com, etc.
I wouldnt say Sony are overpriced - For slim and lightweight laptops they are easily the best. They have best style and quality.

I mean even a MAC is more expensive than Sony.

Why would you buy MAC and then spend more money and Run Windows on it? defeats the purpose completely.

IBM - are expensive but solid built laptops. Dell is shithole using cheap parts.

IBM is good, but Acer is value

Dont get Intel COre 2 Duo yet - the battery life SUCKS big time. for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Selmer2

HSC
N/A
Just to add,

I would by your xp/vista seperately it will actually be cheaper, I know it sounds strange but that is the truth.

There is alot of ways to obtain software cheap through licences and upgrades etc.

OEM and academic licences are the ones to look for.

:)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
HotShot said:
I wouldnt say Sony are overpriced - For slim and lightweight laptops they are easily the best. They have best style and quality.

I mean even a MAC is more expensive than Sony.

Why would you buy MAC and then spend more money and Run Windows on it? defeats the purpose completely.

IBM - are expensive but solid built laptops. Dell is shithole using cheap parts.

IBM is good, but Acer is value

Dont get Intel COre 2 Duo yet - the battery life SUCKS big time. for some reason.
id really rather a fujitsu than a sony notebook when it comes to durability and portability, but for that you have to pay for it....like heaps more

IBM/Lenovo aernt really as expensive as sony/fujitsu imo, but you just gotta know where to look for a good deal

Acer is shit, no questions asked

If you are only using it for uni work, movies and music listening then core duo or even a centrino should be sufficient enough to satisfies your needs imo

Collin

HSC
N/A
Selmer2 said:
intel core (merom) processor (speed in your case doesn't matter) - you don't need a dual core.
Could you clarify that?

Merom (dual-core) is suggested but you then backbedal on the suggestion of getting a dual-core.

Also, Merom is Core 2 (as opposed to Core's Yonah).

Selmer2 said:
In terms of wireless wi fi access it doesn't matter, that's right is doesn't matter! The popular 802.11g 54mbps (some up to 108mbps) usb sticks are like $20 these days so being integrated doesn't matter. Although almost every laptop has a wireless component these days. 802.11g is the best standard for mobile wi fi imo.
Like you said, pretty much every notebook (or atleast the ones within the price range she asserted) should have integrated wireless nowadays anyway. Since you suggested a Merom (and hence most likely a Centrino Duo laptop), she should worry about not having integrated wireless even less. But I beg to differ on that it doesn't matter. I feel it's much more convenient to have it in-built rather than to carry around an external USB adaptor.

Selmer2

HSC
N/A
Collin said:
Could you clarify that?

Merom (dual-core) is suggested but you then backbedal on the suggestion of getting a dual-core.

Also, Merom is Core 2 (as opposed to Core's Yonah).

Like you said, pretty much every notebook (or atleast the ones within the price range she asserted) should have integrated wireless nowadays anyway. Since you suggested a Merom (and hence most likely a Centrino Duo laptop), she should worry about not having integrated wireless even less. But I beg to differ on that it doesn't matter. I feel it's much more convenient to have it in-built rather than to carry around an external USB adaptor.
That was funny. I described Yonah core (core architecture) but merom is better! Better efficency more life for the battery.

She wont worry about wireless connectivity I assume they all are standard 11g? now?

Wireless standards are on the brink of change like they always have. Although this is a stupid comment I like functionality so I tend to branch out into new standards.

:)

Would you say she will get more than she/he is expecting for 1500-2000? I say yes.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
mr_brightside said:
Working with hundred's of HP/Compaq devices that have lasted years...
I'd be inclined to ignore that advice.
I'd be inclined to ignore any advice coming from politik but thats just me.

As for Macs, like I stated previously, the OP is not going to be doing anything remotely intensive and as such a Macbook would be quite the rip for her. The argument that "but its got more power!" doesn't hold up because she'll never max out that power, and she's not a power user, nor a programmer, nor someone who can memorise all these *nix commands to show off their prowess to all the girls at the bar.

I've been having the same argument with my brother who is essentially wanting a macbook for 'surfing the internet' and the $1600 ~ price tag doesn't really warrant that decision.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)