New IR changes - divine advice from above (advice line) (1 Viewer)

dichotomy

HSC
Hey guys

I rang the advice line to ask about the extent to which we should understand the new IR reforms. Of course, there will be no direct questions about it (cause the paper was written months ago-which you know), but the teacher said a band 6 student would be expected to have familiarised him/herself with them in order to demonstrate application of the syllabus theory in practice.

So.... does anyone have a simple outline of the major changes? The guy on the advice line said if he was doing the exam, he'd prepare 4/5 main points about proposed changes.

xxxx

khoshgelleh

go to www.workchoices.org.au or sumthing along those lines ( do a search) and it has a very VERy basic outline .................... thats were i got my info

and it straight from the horses mouth if u get what i mean....

esieff

well what you ACTUALLY want to do is jump on the nice shiny WorkChoices website and order as many free WorkChoices booklets as can be jammed into your letterbox. they are, after all, complementary. then you can read the govt. propaganda contained within, or preferably, burn them.

p.s i'm not saying that the govt's the only people here spreading propaganda. just look at the bloody anti-WorkChoices advertising. puke.

dichotomy

HSC
haha good point. I think i'll save my political agenda until after the exam though- i don't think it will score me any marks!!!

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
read that website, then read the ACTU's website. that way you can balance to propaganda

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The ACTU/ Labor propoganda is far worse than the government's imho.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol, I have to agree with Rafy on this one.

Labor/ACTU being the opposition will get really really subjective, they're critisising more than stating, also keep in mind Labor's statements are usually for telling the public what they want to do, whereas the govt is what they will do --> Thus the imposed/proposed changes.

Btw, XD lol I think there's only 1 workchoices booklet for order...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes its usually easier to critiscise something, as opposed to selling its benefits. You really have got to look at the provisions of the reforms yourself, look beyond its "packaging" (wether that be labor or liberal propoganda) and come up with a value judgement yourself. To me, the reforms are quite reasonable in the long-term. (like all microeconomic policies usually are)

Some unions have been claiming things such as the I.R reforms will lead to deaths, declines in the social fabric of the country and the like. The most outrageous thing ive heard are some unionist's claims that the reforms will lower life expectancy!
Seriously, the reforms have been blown out of all proportions.

=slade=

HSC
Rafy said:
Yes its usually easier to critiscise something, as opposed to selling its benefits. You really have got to look at the provisions of the reforms yourself, look beyond its "packaging" (wether that be labor or liberal propoganda) and come up with a value judgement yourself. To me, the reforms are quite reasonable in the long-term. (like all microeconomic policies usually are)

Some unions have been claiming things such as the I.R reforms will lead to deaths, declines in the social fabric of the country and the like. The most outrageous thing ive heard are some unionist's claims that the reforms will lower life expectancy!
Seriously, the reforms have been blown out of all proportions.
i agree! the whole point is to make the eco more effecient, and the ppl that are complaining now about the reforms are the same people that will complain in 10 years time when the eco is struggling due to slow economic growth and subsequent low incomes...

Haku

could someone please post up a few points on the imposed IR changes?

dichotomy

HSC
These are the main ones;

establish the Australian Fair Pay Commission to protect minimum and award classification wages;
enshrine minimum conditions in legislation for the first time;
introduce the Australian Fair Pay and Conditions Standard to protect workers in the bargaining process;
simplify the agreement making process at the workplace;
provide modern award protection for those not covered by agreements;
ensure an ongoing role, for the Australian Industrial Relations Commission;
better balance the unfair dismissal laws; and
introduce a national system of workplace relations

Taken from the 'work choices' website.

xxx

Insanity

HSC
So do you think there will be an essay question on labour market policies this year then?

Haku

well everyone is saying that. so ill just go along with it. so yes. there will be a labour market one this year.

Pixydust*

dichotomy said:
Hey guys

I rang the advice line to ask about the extent to which we should understand the new IR reforms. Of course, there will be no direct questions about it (cause the paper was written months ago-which you know), but the teacher said a band 6 student would be expected to have familiarised him/herself with them in order to demonstrate application of the syllabus theory in practice.

So.... does anyone have a simple outline of the major changes? The guy on the advice line said if he was doing the exam, he'd prepare 4/5 main points about proposed changes.

xxxx
hope this helps :)
* trying to encourage individual contracts by making the process of adminsitration/registering easier and removing the 'no disadvantage' test so basically, employer must only legally cover minimum wage - the employee can negotiate on working conditions which were previously protected by AIRC as minimum conditions
* simplification of awards to 16, as opposed to 20 allowable matters, and intro of legislation to cover the remaining matters like jury duty
* establishment of Fair Pay Commission which will assume the AIRC's role in determing minimum wages - expected they will pay more attention to economic conditions when granting pay rises. also, predicted they will not cut min wages but lift them more slowly, so the gap between skilled and non skilled workers increases
* restrictions on the power of trade unions (trying to remove them from the workplace basically) by changes like new policy that they must hold secret ballots before taking industrial action
* easing of unfair dismissal laws - no longer applicable to businesses with under 100 employees, AND probation period (period where employer can sack without reason, a new employee) extended to 6 months

...i think those are the most important ones. basically, its a move by the Howards Government which empowers employers (the engines of our economy so to speak) to allow for greater flexibility, mobility and international competitiveness of the Australian labour force.

Pixydust*

Personally i'm of the opinion this is another win for the economy at the expense of Australian workers. Trying to 'Americanize' our labour market may make it more effecient and competitive, granted, but its not unreasonable to think that, with the greater bargaining power of employers and the virtual extinction of employees collective power in the workplace, there is going to be severe consequences for the wages and working conditions of the average Australian. It has to be managed properly over time - made a gradual change, so that the effects will eventually be like, neutralised - like the GST eventually fizzled out. I just think its compromising everything which makes Australia the welfare state, and the security of having well protected minimum wages and conditions for all workers. It really is a case of the emergence of a class of the 'working poor'.

gorgo31

HSC
Any aspiring Young Liberals might like to balance their discussion of the reforms with the concerns of the Fair Pay Commission refusing to index any minimum wage increase to inflation, thereby leading to the possibility of real minimum wage decline. As well as this, the "No disadvantage" test of the Employment Advocate will be scrapped, and Unfair Dismissal legislation for those at businesses employing less than 100 employees will also be abolished.

Similarly, the Young Lefties should avoid being emotional and concede the economic benefits in restructuring Industrial Relations dispute mechanisms and procedures, and promoting a more flexible, manageable, nationalised workforce.

It's hard to present a balanced discussion, but I don't think that Economics essays require the development of an argument or thesis in the same way other subjects might. So be objective and talk about the economic benefits and concerns of each side. Regardless of your political views, there are substantial arguments to be considered.

P.S. At last count, John Howard had found one Economist in Australia to support his view that the Workplace Reforms will "boost productivity." You can tell which side I'm on :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)