New Laws on maintenance (1 Viewer)

bEAbEA

HSC
Can somebody please explain to me the proposed changes to the laws regarding maintenance of children. Apparantly it is something about starting with an equal divide or something...

Aimz- Lou.

I don't know about the proposed changes - do we need to? ATM the law states that there doesn;t need to be a 50/50 division, and that 50/50 is not even the starting point. It depends on who is responsible for the residency of the child, and on the contribution each party made to the marriage.

If the parent reponsible does not pay, the Australian taxation office can deduct their payment straight from their account.

I don't know if that helps at all.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Not starting from a base of 50/50 split of property in the dissolution of marriage has nothing to do with maintenance; it's marriage dissolution and a proposal to the contrary was defeated in 1994.

There are no new proposed changes to the maintenance model but for the consideration of children of De Facto parents to be treated the same as those of married families to coincide with the Status of Children Act 1996.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)