New Modem/Router (1 Viewer)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
In need of a new Modem/Wireless Router (combo preferred), old one seems to be dying slowly.

I have TPG ADSL2+ atm, live about 3-3.5km from the Exchange. Would like something which is compatible with the NBN for the future (if this is possble? - I'm assuming it should be.).

Will have computer wired to it, 3x iPhones, 1x PS3, 2x Laptops and maybe another computer in a couple of months running off wireless. And also maybe a storage server/nas wired to it.

Budget, well not sure how much, but prefer under the $200 range, dont mind going up to 250 for something that'll last me some time and is good.

Shoot with suggestions :rolleyes2:

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Fritz box (I have the 7390 and it's god like)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
$294 son of a gun
:jawdrop:

ahh well, if its good and it lasts it's probably worth it.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
I don't think it would be compatible with NBN. (speeds of around 100mbit a second).
Even if it were, I presume the cat5 ethernet cable would be the bottle neck.

Anyway i've gone through a few modem/router brands, mostly budget (below $150).

I've gone through Billion, Tp-link, net gear, and ASUS over the last few years.

Tp-link was surprisingly reliable for the cost. I think I used a $<100 modem/router adsl2+ to connect to the internet.
From that router I was connected 24/7 to the internet, averaging around 8-10gb a day, with around 20 connections.,(5 ethernet, 15 wireless)
That eventually died though, (the routing function died after 3 or 4 years) so i replaced it with an ASUS rtn12 which is very good for p2p applications.
(but that is router only, so i had to make the DHCP function from my gateway computer, with the modem using the original tp-link).

netgear was terrible... I've probably had around 3 or 4 net gear.. in fact i'm using a net gear at the moment as i speak, (as i dont need an elaborate network config anymore).
runs out of signal for the older laptop running.

Billion was good, used a 7300N as a wifi/switch with the DHCP disabled downstairs for 2 or so solid years. Also used 2x 5200 or 5300G. was pretty good.

Asus is good too, though it seems to brick frequently.

One of the best is draytek but that is pretty expensive.

What you can do is to get a router compatible with Tomato/DD-WRT, and load the custom firmwire on it.
That's what I did to the ASUS Rt-n12. I actually have 3 of them, one of them bricked though.

But yeah :)
the amount of wireless connections shouldn't really be a problem. just make sure you dont interfere with the other wi-fi routers in your area broadcasting in the same channel.
i had my configuration connected to at least 20 connections, most of them wireless, didn't have an issue.
most DHCP's go up to 255 connections anyway. (though I had mine set to a max of 50).

so in summary, Billion is good bang for buck, Asus is good (though the rtn12 seems to brick often, and some of them are routers only), draytek is top notch, netgear is BAD.linkys is bad too.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
After doing a bit of research and some comparing with other good products on the market, I've decided to go with the Fritz!Box 7390, seems unbeatable compared to other products on the market.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)