New Pharmacy 3rd Year Curriculum (1 Viewer)

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
Hey, fellas i don't get the time to come on BoS as often, but since there aren't that many people from the new curriculum on BoS i feel it is my prime duty to bring you younglings into light about the new course so you can be better prepared?

Well so far its only been 3 days into the course, but from what it looks like the new course is set along these lines

WEEKS 1-6

3811 - Cardiovascular and Renal
3812 - Respiratory

Usually about 12 hours of lectures per week for 6 weeks, and then you do the final exam on these two subs. You pretty much go hard out on these two subjects, as well as have 2x2 hour tutorials on them in which you do PBL (quite intense with lots of research). Plus 1x4 hour lab session every week. Exam week is week 7 and then you repeat for the next 2 subjects, till you do all your 8 subs till the end of the year.

Weeks 8-13

3813 - Endocrine
3814 - Gastrointestinal

Do exams for these two subs in week 14.

On top of this you will also be doing a separate subject Which is called Dispensing, and another called Pharmaceutical Chemistry Labs which are sorta blended in this but have their own labs and some lectures and run all the way throughout the year. They also have their own exams toward the middle of the year. These two subjects largely have a lot of their own little assessments and assignments like for dispensing you have to make creams every week or so and get them assessed and also assess other people's work. For pharmaceutical chem labs you need to do a drug profile, similar to the one done in 2nd year but a lot more trickier with some more research.

On top of this you will also be doing Herbal Medicines and Traditional Chinese Medicines...which also has its own exam, or it might be integrated into the others this has not yet been clarified. This subject content also has its own workshop in semester 2.

Running alongside this is a 2 hour/per week for 10 weeks, a community pharmacy extern ship which you are required to find on your own, so i guess you should look for a place to work or similar sometime end of second year.

At the end of the 10 weeks you need to submit a portfolio which i think also gets marked. After 10 weeks you are given a 1 week fulltime placement either in a hospital, rural or company. If they cant find you one they will send you to another community pharmacy and you will probably get to go to the former in 4th year.

Also at the end you do an OSCE exam (Objective Structured Clincal Exam) which is only worth 10% but they can ask you on anything you did in 3rd year or previous years. Fun Fun!

So thats what i know so far on the 3rd year. This was mainly written for Lala and Danz90 who im sure will be eager to know whats happening with the new curriculum! and if anyone else has questions ill be sure to answer them. Ill try to keep posting something here every now and then if i find out something else new.

Adios!

P.S Can i get a booyeah! if you liked the post :).

Last edited:

danz90

HSC
Woahh, thanks heaps for that dude!

Man, that sounds REALLY busy and complicated. Far outt!

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
Woahh, thanks heaps for that dude!

Man, that sounds REALLY busy and complicated. Far outt!
dude, its been 3 days and im sleep deprived and quite tired already. Its very tiringsome, you not only have to go find your own placements, but on top of that organise buying your stuff, do prework for tutes and every 3 hour lecture block is like... horrendously long! like you cant sit down for that long and concentrate. My day today was absolute rubbish 9-11 tute with pre work, then 2 hour break 1-3 another tute with pre work, and finally 3-5 dual lectures on clinical interventions, absolute death!. Plus the guy on herbal medicines is very difficult to understand. George Li. He keeps talking about random crap...like "minor dragon combination" to treat asthma and everyones like wth is that?.

danz90

HSC
dude, its been 3 days and im sleep deprived and quite tired already. Its very tiringsome, you not only have to go find your own placements, but on top of that organise buying your stuff, do prework for tutes and every 3 hour lecture block is like... horrendously long! like you cant sit down for that long and concentrate. My day today was absolute rubbish 9-11 tute with pre work, then 2 hour break 1-3 another tute with pre work, and finally 3-5 dual lectures on clinical interventions, absolute death!. Plus the guy on herbal medicines is very difficult to understand. George Li. He keeps talking about random crap...like "minor dragon combination" to treat asthma and everyones like wth is that?.
damnn sounds like fun for me next year.

dude, did you get problems last year with PHSI2601, where they changed the timetable 239023523529352395 times and you have to go get a new one or whatever. these people added the PHSI labs late, and then we needed to make a new one, since they were added. THEN, they found out there was a clash with a lecture, so now they are changing monday classes and we have to get REALLOCATED. lol im not doing it, because I know I'm allocated to a friday, and they are just trying to even out class numbers, because friday pracs are overflowed! did you have the same issues?

by the way, when do the vaccinations need to be finalised by? you do clinical placements in your year right?

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
damnn sounds like fun for me next year.

dude, did you get problems last year with PHSI2601, where they changed the timetable 239023523529352395 times and you have to go get a new one or whatever. these people added the PHSI labs late, and then we needed to make a new one, since they were added. THEN, they found out there was a clash with a lecture, so now they are changing monday classes and we have to get REALLOCATED. lol im not doing it, because I know I'm allocated to a friday, and they are just trying to even out class numbers, because friday pracs are overflowed! did you have the same issues?

by the way, when do the vaccinations need to be finalised by? you do clinical placements in your year right?
we had no problems with our labs, it was smooth as as a baby's ass. vaccinations i still havent gotten mine, but i will get them in 10 weeks, you need them when you go to a hospital (which i dont know if i am going yet..since they havent told us where we go yet). But they sorta...have 6-7 weeks running the middle of the year (mid sem break) where u choose which week u want to go in, and then they find you a place. So try to get your vaccinations done early proly midway through your second year..its not that important but i guess theres heaps of em..so u might wana get a move on.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
hey anonymus, can we find placement at our own workplace (working at chem warehouse) and get paid for it as well?

or is placement suppose to be mainly voluntarily work?

Last edited:

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
hey anonymus, can we find placement at our own workplace (working at chem warehouse) and get paid for it as well?

or is placement suppose to be mainly voluntarily work?
they don't want you to do it where you work but if u cant find work anywhere else it doesn't really matter as long as its a community pharmacy. You are definately not allowed to be paid for it, because you will be doing special work organised by the uni...they send a manual to ur nominated pharmacy who know exactly what you need to do in the whole year. etc. So no paid work allowed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)