New Pope: Unify Christians? (1 Viewer)

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
New Pope Vows to Work to Unify Christians

Good luck to him. My question is, how can unity among Christians be achieved without compromising denominational differences?

I hope he doesn't think he can 'unify' Christian denominations by imposing Catholicism on them. The very thought horrifies me - I'd sooner die than subscribe to the Pope's 'authority'.

Thoughts?

Scanorama

HSC
There are lots of reasons why although people believe in Christianity but NOT to become a Catholic.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
chookyn said:
New Pope Vows to Work to Unify Christians

Good luck to him. My question is, how can unity among Christians be achieved without compromising denominational differences?

I hope he doesn't think he can 'unify' Christian denominations by imposing Catholicism on them. The very thought horrifies me - I'd sooner die than subscribe to the Pope's 'authority'.

Thoughts?
OMG CHOOKYN!!! UR SO RIGHT!!!
The new pope was hitlers henchman back when he was a young lad! I'm sure he's going to roll the Vatican's army out and declare war against europe, converting people to catholicism along the way - it is a new crusade!

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
OMG CHOOKYN!!! UR SO RIGHT!!!
The new pope was hitlers henchman back when he was a young lad! I'm sure he's going to roll the Vatican's army out and declare war against europe, converting people to catholicism along the way - it is a new crusade!
lol! you weren't being serious, were you? Nevertheless, that brought to mind some funny visuals!

Seriously though, i don't trust him at all. But then, i can't remember a time i've ever trusted a pope, or the Roman Catholic system, for that matter.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
chookyn said:
lol! you weren't being serious, were you? Nevertheless, that brought to mind some funny visuals!

Seriously though, i don't trust him at all. But then, i can't remember a time i've ever trusted a pope, or the Roman Catholic system, for that matter.
Could that possibly be a result of Adventist teaching?

Riewe

HSC
There is no one who can unify christians, because chrisitians everywhere are divded on issues such as birth control and homosexuality, the leaning to one side will encur the wrath of the other side, and when they do go to the other side, the previous side is angry. And with issues like these, there is very little common ground which will satisfy everyone, so maybe as long the majority are happy, then that should be enough.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
personally, i was hoping for a less conservative pope. I'm not catholic but still, you kind of need a strong spiritual leadership in society.

imhere4themusic

flied lice
HSC
Riewe said:
There is no one who can unify christians, because chrisitians everywhere are divded on issues such as birth control and homosexuality, the leaning to one side will encur the wrath of the other side, and when they do go to the other side, the previous side is angry. And with issues like these, there is very little common ground which will satisfy everyone, so maybe as long the majority are happy, then that should be enough.
So true..

I think the Pope acts more as a figure head or head of state. He's the cover girl for Catholicism and in some ways Christianity. He is the closest human connection to god. Too bad he doesn't look like the cover girls on FHM or Ralph otherwise I'd expect a lot more people converting to Christianity. :D

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Could that possibly be a result of Adventist teaching?
i think there's more to it than that (i.e. history doesn't convince me that i ought to trust it)

(btw, i take it that you are familiar with Adventist teaching) :uhhuh:

i have nothing against Catholics, just the structure of the Church. Also, the idea of one mere mortal (the pope) having so much influence over a huge worldwide body of believers really concerns me. However, I also recognise that there's no such thing as a flawless organisation and you have to take the good with the bad.

The Catholic Church, on the whole, hasn't showed signs of positive spiritual growth for well over the past few hundred years, which makes me wonder whether its lost its focus somewhat? (Mary and the Pope are all very well and good, but let's put Christ at the centre of Christianity, then we'll see some growth. That applies to all Christian denominations). I guess that's why the Reformation happened, huh? :)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Im gonna get worried when he wants to unify all religions, ild say he should be monitored closely

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
"Then, just before the cardinals entered the conclave Monday, he made clear where he stands ideologically, using words that John Paul would surely have endorsed. He warned about tendencies that he considered dangers to the faith: sects and ideologies like Marxism, liberalism, atheism, agnosticism and relativism — the ideology that there are no absolute truths.

"We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as for certain and which has as its highest goal one's own ego and one's own desires," he said.

He has denounced rock music, dismissed anyone who had tried to find "feminist" meanings in the Bible, and last year told American bishops it was appropriate to deny Communion to those who support abortion and euthanasia."

Hmph.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Well Mary is never the center of attention, even for Catholics who have a much stronger affection for and devotion to her than any other denomination. She is simply the closest mortal to the Christ - ever. If Christ is the bridge to man from heaven, she is the first person who stretches her hand up to meet him.

That's why we love her so much - because she is always pointing to her son.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Slide Rule said:
"He warned about tendencies that he considered dangers to the faith: sects and ideologies like Marxism, liberalism, atheism, agnosticism and relativism — the ideology that there are no absolute truths.

"We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as for certain and which has as its highest goal one's own ego and one's own desires," he said.
i can identify with his concern there

Slide Rule said:
He has denounced rock music, dismissed anyone who had tried to find "feminist" meanings in the Bible, and last year told American bishops it was appropriate to deny Communion to those who support abortion and euthanasia."
hmm... that's pretty conservative, but given he's 78yrs old that's all you can expect.
denying Communion, i think, is unreasonable.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Not really, given that Communion is expressly forbidden for people who are in a state of wilful and continued mortal sin. Since abortion is, according to Canon Law, an act of murder (and the worst kind), it seems perfectly reasonable for supporters of the act to be denied communion. After all, communion is not a RIGHT. It is a gift, a priiviledge. We do not deserve it, it is given of the Lord's free will - thus to accept the Lord while dismissing his commands is an act of abuse.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Well Mary is never the center of attention, even for Catholics who have a much stronger affection for and devotion to her than any other denomination. She is simply the closest mortal to the Christ - ever. If Christ is the bridge to man from heaven, she is the first person who stretches her hand up to meet him.

That's why we love her so much - because she is always pointing to her son.
oh okay :) it's always good to have an 'inside' perspective.

Non-catholics get quite a different impression of these things, you see.

Particularly when all the media portrays of Catholicism are things like paedophilic priests, devout followers flocking to view 'apparitions' of Mary and dud 'miracle' sightings, and throngs of people crowding to see the Pope - it does make one wonder - so thanks for clearing that up.

Not really, given that Communion is expressly forbidden for people who are in a state of wilful and continued mortal sin. Since abortion is, according to Canon Law, an act of murder (and the worst kind), it seems perfectly reasonable for supporters of the act to be denied communion. After all, communion is not a RIGHT. It is a gift, a priiviledge. We do not deserve it, it is given of the Lord's free will - thus to accept the Lord while dismissing his commands is an act of abuse.
thanks, i understand better, but still don't agree, as i'm seeing some inconsistencies across the whole Canon Law concept. Also, from my perspective, it seems graceless and overly-ritualistic, but each to their own...

Last edited:

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
In my opinion, Christians will unite not under doctrinal reasons but more under political reasons such as the rising threat of 'Islamism' in the Middle East. That is because organised religious traditions have become nothing more then political forces disgused under some pretence 'holy' authority.

Vahl

HSC
The new pope comes from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. This is the modern incarnation of the inquisition and one of the most right wing groups within the church. Considering this groups near fanatical hatred of anyone who is not a conservative straight male, I think the new pope will attempt to force western politics further to the right by persecuting GLBTQI people, attempting to reduce the rights of women etc. In so doing I think the Catholic Church will further alienate itself from the world. This pope is a poor choice.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Vahl3 said:
The new pope comes from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. This is the modern incarnation of the inquisition and one of the most right wing groups within the church. Considering this groups near fanatical hatred of anyone who is not a conservative straight male, I think the new pope will attempt to force western politics further to the right by persecuting GLBTQI people, attempting to reduce the rights of women etc. In so doing I think the Catholic Church will further alienate itself from the world. This pope is a poor choice.
GLBTQI???? What

Vahl

HSC
Korn said:
GLBTQI???? What
Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transexual Queer(or questioning) and Intersex. Official new government all inclusive designation that replaces GLBT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)