New Religious Expression (1 Viewer)

emdelacreme

HSC
I'm having trouble with the dot point on New Religious Expression:

• recognise the reasons for the rise of new religious expressions as people:
– search for personal fulfilment
– seek ethical guidelines
– seek to clarify their relationship with society
• explain how the following have influenced the growth of new religious expressions and spiritualities:
– the rise of materialism
– scientific progress
– growth of ecological awareness
– disenchantment with ‘traditional’ religious practice and guidance

I find that my textbook doesn't talk about it in the terms of the syllabus and my teacher is telling us to go back to our notes from Religious Expression in Australia post-1945 but I dont think that section really covered it in this way.
I was wondering if anyone can direct me to some good books/ websites that would help me find information? I tried hsc.csu.edu.au but for some reason they don't have Studies of Religion. Or if you could just explain the dot points to me that'd be great :) They seem like mostly common sense but I'd rather have some back up from a resource.

Em

-pari-

HSC
N/A
yeah i hardly got much for those either.
i really wanted some substance too, but in the end, i just used common sense and jotted down a few dot points, coz really there's not much you can elaborate on from the way i see it.

tis a bit wishy washy.

however, one thing you might like to include is try relating it to and finding examples in australia's history.
like with disenchantment of traditional practices you could branch off and say how that was a strong factor underlying the rise of secularism in the 60s.

though thats kinda overlapping with the dot points in the other topic [belief systems post 1945]....

hth :)

babyd0llsasha

HSC
Heyyy here are my notess, hope they help you= }

Search for personal fulfilment
  • in this secular, individual oriented society where traditional religious beliefs are often recognised as irrelivant, there is a strong need to find meaning and purpose in lifes journey
  • The most significant attraction of new age religions is that they offer personal personal fulfilment
  • given diverse nature of new age religions, new age religions are well suited to offer personal fulfilment in a conciderable variety of ways

Seeking ethical guidlines
  • in accordance with the trend which points to the growing secular society, traditional religious guidance is seen as meaningless and irrelevant
  • the postmodern nature of society means that there is a lack of moral certainty in socirty, and in its place is the notion of moral relativism
  • because many people find it difficult to formulate their own ethical guidlines, they turn to new age religions for ethical guidlines

Seek to clarify their relationship with society
  • Human beings are essentialy social creatures, and few people will live happily without meaningful contact with others
  • the failure of religious communities to provide meaningfull support and the cult of individualism in Western societies has left some individuals feeling isolated from the rest of the community
  • For some, this void may be filled by becoming involved with a new age religion

• explain how the following have influenced the growth of new religious expressions and spiritualities:
– scientific progress

The rise of materialism
  • some new age religions attest to being means of gaining wealth
  • New age religions which favour individual spirituality and personal fulfilment, thrive in materialistic societies with its cult of individualism
  • in this consumeristic environment, new age philosophies which purport to provide personal fulfilment and well being are represented as commodities which can be brought or sold

Scientific progress
  • Rapid growth of scientific knowledge have raised serious questions for some religious perspectives
  • Some abandon traditional religious beliefs, in the belief that scientific discoveries have discredited such beliefs
  • when scientific progress has the effect of undermining the authority the authority of religious traditions, some people will go in search of new age religious expressions to meet their needs
  • many new age relgions have a pseudo-scientific basis eg. numerology and crystals
  • this appeals to many, as often science is seen as validating this new age philosophy

Growth of ecological awareness
  • the growth of E. A in recent generations has made a scentific contribution to the awareness of the beauty and power of creation
  • a number of new age religions are creation centered spiritualities which adopt animistic and ancient nature religions
  • such new are religions seek to recapture the traditional wisdom of the environment
  • many people are attracted to new age religions because they feel that the closeness to the environment is a healing thing e.g. nature retreats and prayers invoking a power from within creation

Disenchantment with the traditional religous practice and guidance
  • many people feel that traditional religious practices do not provide a relivant and meaningful support system for them in the chanllanges they face in the modern world
  • Increasing disillusionment with traditional religions hypocricy, abuse of power and/or irrelivance means that religions have lost moral authority and respect
  • it has become increasingly acceptable in contemporary Australian society to have no religious affiliation or not to participate on ones nominal religion
  • the significant decline in religios affiliaton is a clear sign of growing secularism
  • new age religions are popular because there is still a longing for a spiritual dimension to life

(p.s sorry for the odd spelling, i was a tired child)

aussiechica7

HSC
the more enlightened we become the more meaningless life seems? so we flock to those who seem so sure they have answers, that they have a connection with some sort of otherworldly God, who will perhaps provide truth, peace, hope, love...

idk

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
aussiechica7 said:
the more enlightened we become the more meaningless life seems? so we flock to those who seem so sure they have answers, that they have a connection with some sort of otherworldly God, who will perhaps provide truth, peace, hope, love...

idk
^^ Is that trying to be helpful to the poster or just a cynical opinion?

Serious question as this isnt really the place to debate this stuff (some people actually get opinion mixed up with required knowledge and it right royally messes them up in their exams) so Im protecting my turf so to speak!!
LOL
:)

aussiechica7

HSC
Sorry, I haven't take the class so that's just my opinion (didn't mean to screw anyone up for exams!) I suppose it does come across as cynical, I didn't intend it to. I believe in God, and I do believe that a life void of a spiritual dimension is in some respects meaningless. So its funny that I was being cynical towards a set of beliefs that include my own.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
No problems...hope I didnt sound like a heavy.

Some students sometimes lack the ability to discern "fact" from "opinion" and they will glance thru. threads without reading stuff (context does help as well) and just glean bits of info without really reading it. The shorter the answer, the better it looks!!

Hence my heavy handed approach to modding subject specific threads!!

BTW
Cynicism is encouraged around here so long as you can back it up and not let other things get in the way like "I hate SOR as my school makes me do it!". *stamps foot* (which we get all the time)

My response would be "good for you, now run along and play with the other children as the adults are trying to talk".........

LOL
;)

Please feel free to start a thread on this and discuss away if you want. Cant guarantee too much interaction but it will be safer to do here than in NCAP where you will be flamed for having an opinion!!

Stretchy

HSC
Heyyy here are my notess, hope they help you= }

Search for personal fulfilment
  • in this secular, individual oriented society where traditional religious beliefs are often recognised as irrelivant, there is a strong need to find meaning and purpose in lifes journey
  • The most significant attraction of new age religions is that they offer personal personal fulfilment
  • given diverse nature of new age religions, new age religions are well suited to offer personal fulfilment in a conciderable variety of ways

Seeking ethical guidlines
  • in accordance with the trend which points to the growing secular society, traditional religious guidance is seen as meaningless and irrelevant
  • the postmodern nature of society means that there is a lack of moral certainty in socirty, and in its place is the notion of moral relativism
  • because many people find it difficult to formulate their own ethical guidlines, they turn to new age religions for ethical guidlines

Seek to clarify their relationship with society
  • Human beings are essentialy social creatures, and few people will live happily without meaningful contact with others
  • the failure of religious communities to provide meaningfull support and the cult of individualism in Western societies has left some individuals feeling isolated from the rest of the community
  • For some, this void may be filled by becoming involved with a new age religion

– scientific progress

The rise of materialism
  • some new age religions attest to being means of gaining wealth
  • New age religions which favour individual spirituality and personal fulfilment, thrive in materialistic societies with its cult of individualism
  • in this consumeristic environment, new age philosophies which purport to provide personal fulfilment and well being are represented as commodities which can be brought or sold

Scientific progress
  • Rapid growth of scientific knowledge have raised serious questions for some religious perspectives
  • Some abandon traditional religious beliefs, in the belief that scientific discoveries have discredited such beliefs
  • when scientific progress has the effect of undermining the authority the authority of religious traditions, some people will go in search of new age religious expressions to meet their needs
  • many new age relgions have a pseudo-scientific basis eg. numerology and crystals
  • this appeals to many, as often science is seen as validating this new age philosophy

Growth of ecological awareness
  • the growth of E. A in recent generations has made a scentific contribution to the awareness of the beauty and power of creation
  • a number of new age religions are creation centered spiritualities which adopt animistic and ancient nature religions
  • such new are religions seek to recapture the traditional wisdom of the environment
  • many people are attracted to new age religions because they feel that the closeness to the environment is a healing thing e.g. nature retreats and prayers invoking a power from within creation

Disenchantment with the traditional religous practice and guidance
  • many people feel that traditional religious practices do not provide a relivant and meaningful support system for them in the chanllanges they face in the modern world
  • Increasing disillusionment with traditional religions hypocricy, abuse of power and/or irrelivance means that religions have lost moral authority and respect
  • it has become increasingly acceptable in contemporary Australian society to have no religious affiliation or not to participate on ones nominal religion
  • the significant decline in religios affiliaton is a clear sign of growing secularism
  • new age religions are popular because there is still a longing for a spiritual dimension to life

(p.s sorry for the odd spelling, i was a tired child)
Cheers, this really helped me out :)

Adalbrechta

HSC

• explain how the following have influenced the growth of Religion (Islam, Christianity, etc ) new religious expressions and spiritualities:
– scientific progress

I find that my textbook doesn't talk about it in the terms of the syllabus and my teacher is telling us to go back to our notes from Religious Expression in Australia post-1945 but I dont think that section really covered it in this way.
I was wondering if anyone can direct me to some good books/ websites that would help me find information? I tried hsc.csu.edu.au but for some reason they don't have Studies of Religion. Or if you could just explain the dot points to me that'd be great :) They seem like mostly common sense but I'd rather have some back up from a resource.

Em
Really smooth

Last edited:

Adalbrechta

HSC
yeah i hardly got much for those either.
i really wanted some substance too, but in the end, i just used common sense and jotted down a few dot points, coz really there's not much you can elaborate on from the way i see it.

tis a bit wishy washy.

however, one thing you might like to include is try relating it to and finding examples in australia's history.
like with disenchantment of traditional practices you could branch off and say how that was a strong factor underlying the rise of secularism in the 60s.

though thats kinda overlapping with the dot points in the other topic [belief systems post 1945]....

hth :)

great work

Adalbrechta

HSC

– scientific progress

Em
That really works

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)