• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

New rep policy (2 Viewers)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Well done on this new rep policy, I'm sure now that the people who deserve it will be repped well.

Just two questions...a) anti said this: '* are courteous, considerate, and show exemplary behaviour (most of the time!) on the forum'. I'm sure there's lots of people who are like that, just wondering how that would be brought to your attention, I mean, there are lots of people on this forum, half of them probably ex-students who don't go on anymore...

b) Those who have posted 'rep me, I'll rep you back' lines or something along those tracks in their sigs previously who have taken them off now, will their rep points be reset? Or do they get to keep them?

Otherwise, well done on this policy.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
a) I don't understand the question ;) If members no longer come onto the board, repping them is kind of an exercise in sieving water? If they are on the board, many of them still contribute, and they'll get repped :D

b) Non-School reps will no longer count and many of the 'rep me i'll rep you' repping was done in NS. I'm not sure if there's a set date from which they will not count or whether like NS posts they will be removed completely from the rep system.

Thanks :) It was a joint effort by all the mods (woohoo! we do stuff toGETHER)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Will you rep me too? no? *looks offended, pouts and slouches off*

Seriously, I dun care, just being a good citizen I reckon---should get a medal/rep point for that... :p

santaslayer

HSC
anti said:
a) I don't understand the question ;) If members no longer come onto the board, repping them is kind of an exercise in sieving water?

People do this because of the need to rep 20 people before they can rep the same person again. They don't want to rep others in the meantime so they rep inactive members. :p I don't like the constraint as well...:)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but why do NS reps not count anymore?

Or is there a rule in the NS forum to NOT be "helpful, informational courteous, considerate, and show exemplary behaviour "?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
But this wont solve the problem. I only give people rep if they deserve it. So now, to reward the deserving person, Im going to have to search through their posts to make it
count.

And you can't tell me that there is any forum that DOESN'T have crap in it.

Why not either turn the feature off, or leave NS as reppable.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
jumb said:
But this wont solve the problem. I only give people rep if they deserve it. So now, to reward the deserving person, Im going to have to search through their posts to make it
count.

And you can't tell me that there is any forum that DOESN'T have crap in it.

Why not either turn the feature off, or leave NS as reppable.
If you're repping somebody deserving, you should have a reason for repping them then and there. If you're specifically reading their posts in non-NS sections then you're bound to come across one which is helpful and rep them on the spot. You shouldn't have to search for reppable posts - this was never the intention of reputation (although it's possible, if you really want to thank someone!)

Repping someone for NS posts defeats the purpose of reputation. The idea is to give someone acknowledgement of their contribution to the original purpose of the community: as a resource for HSC (and uni!) students to give and receive assistance regarding their secondary and tertiary studies. I see nothing in NS (and I have never seen anything in NS) that qualifies. It's my personal opinion that L&R and Entertainment (etc) forums should be unreppable as well, but we'll see how that pans out..

It's gratifying to receive kudos for a job well done and that's one of the goals of reputation. The other is a way to point out helpful members of the board - if a 'newbie' has trouble they should be able to PM someone with high rep and ask for assistance.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
santaslayer said:
People do this because of the need to rep 20 people before they can rep the same person again. They don't want to rep others in the meantime so they rep inactive members. :p I don't like the constraint as well...:)

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that.

We'll have to take it into consideration. Thanks for bringing it up SS :p

What would you think about increasing the # of posts required before re-repping someone?

JayWalker

HSC
Meh i think 20 is fine though...
I think just once a user hasn't posted in x days, then they cannot get rep... that would help?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
JayWalker said:
Hey anti can you rep me :p nah jokes..
good job

I have to admit I *have* gone through old posts looking for a repworthy one for someone who I've had a good experience with (through PM or through email) - and get out of the gutter guys. ;)

It's probably only something I do when I'm very very bored though.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
JayWalker said:
Meh i think 20 is fine though...
I think just once a user hasn't posted in x days, then they cannot get rep... that would help?
Yeah, I've thrown that up for suggestion on the mod forum. I'll keep you posted.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
anti said:
Yeah, I've thrown that up for suggestion on the mod forum. I'll keep you posted.
eek, so i should rep huy again :p

i like the new policy as well, i have seen so many people i haven't heard of with 2 boxes :confused:

J

jhakka

This is so much better. The rep threads just created too much spam anyway.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
anti said:
The idea is to give someone acknowledgement of their contribution to the original purpose of the community: as a resource for HSC (and uni!) students to give and receive assistance regarding their secondary and tertiary studies.
That's true. I always took this board as social.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)