New to this >.< (1 Viewer)

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Hey guys. The other night while thinking about my major work, I decided it might be a good idea to include some poetry between my short-story style vignettes. The problem is, I know next to nothing about it, I think I studied like, one poem during years 7-11? Yeahh... ><". I know poetry is going to be hard, but, to me, from what little I've seen of it, it seems the most beautiful form of written expression, heh :eek:

Obviously I intend to go to the library and read anything I can get my hands on, but I was wondering if...any of you hardcore poets would like to share what poets/poems really inspired you/that you really liked so that I might have some place to start from. I literally know only a couple of poets and there are just so many of them out there, I don't really know where to start ><. I'm looking for contemporary poets in particular - I'd really like to emulate the sort of free-flowing, almost musical style I've seen in past Young Writer's Showcases.

Thank you! :)

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
So Wilfred Owen's style wouldn't really match the sort of poetry you're after?

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
How about some of E.E Cummings stuff? There's another really good one, will have to find out off my ext1 teacher what his name is

Asubmarine

HSC
Cummings is a really good suggestion imo. I like your recognition of the musicality of more contemporary poetry. I think Ezra Pound wrote quite a bit on the difference between the "metronomical" and "musical" in poetry if you wanted to look further into that..

Also you can't go wrong with "Beat" poetry as a starting point for more contemp stuff. There's such a wealth of info on it/of it on the net and it's stylistically very accessible to most readers

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Oh wow, I didn't think the person who came first would reply to this - you probably get enough of this both on and off the forums, but I think your writing is amazing ><". Water/Sounds is on my list of 'things that inspire me' (before I start writing, I have to spend 5-10 minutes reading other peoples' work and that makes me want to write really well >_o).

Thanks you two for all your suggestions! I shan't waste any time getting stuck into it :)

Asubmarine

HSC
thanks :) I find it really humbling reading stuff like that.

Make sure you keep posting here haha, really want to see the poetry forum a bit more active this year..

best of luck with the reading and the course.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Oh wow, I didn't think the person who came first would reply to this - you probably get enough of this both on and off the forums, but I think your writing is amazing ><". Water/Sounds is on my list of 'things that inspire me' (before I start writing, I have to spend 5-10 minutes reading other peoples' work and that makes me want to write really well >_o).

Thanks you two for all your suggestions! I shan't waste any time getting stuck into it :)
Asub is spot on on the beat poetry suggestion. Basically ended up setting the foundations of my work, is easily accessible, and (without sounding like a complete tosser) talks to our generation. Also, don't feel like you can't delve into song lyrics- they really are their own type of poetry.

Good luck with it all. You seem to be full of enthusiasm and ambition- definitely a fantastic start.

EDIT: Also, try gotpoetry.com for inspiration, alot of incredible work from unknown poets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)