• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

New USYD Business School Building (1 Viewer)

Bobbykumar1

HSC
I'm currently in yr12 and am tossing up between choosing UNSW or USYD for Commerce.
Although UNSW is renowned for its Commerce Degree, USYD is much, much easier for me to get into through a targeting program.
But compared to the ASB building, the USYD's Business School is dull, unloved block of cement, with its interior just as bad as it exterior.
Call me stupid, but l am drawn more to UNSW due to the highly innovate building and the aesthetic beauty of the inside and outside of the building/
After some research, l found that USYD is also planning for a new business school.

That leads to my question; does anyone know when the new USYD Business School will be made?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Word of advice, when you're in university the last thing on your mind will be its architecture.

You're not there to admire buildings; you're there to learn. Keep in mind, don't think this is an attack on UNSW. The students who choose to go to USYD based on the few sandstone buildings we have are equally misguided.

Evaluate a university on its academic program, the campus life and other conveniences.

Just for interest though, here is the link to the redevelopment.

http://sydney.edu.au/abercrombie_precinct/

Last edited:

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW is easier to get in, I think in comparison to USYD's cutoff. You just need an ATAR within the the low 90's and band 5-6 in Maths or Advanced English (Up to 5 bonus points).

I find it funny also how you're judging the appearance of the universities hahahaha as one of your factors :) Maybe B.Architecture or some design degree is for you and not B.Commerce loool

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You have classes scattered all over the Uni not only in the business building.

izzy88

HSC
Don't choose a Uni based on the faculty building. For starters there's no promise that you will even have classes there. USYD has a relatively new law building, but half the law classes aren't held in there, but in other (very old) rooms and buildings.

The building doesn't really impact on your learning. As long as there are seats, tables, and a projector for PowerPoint, you should be fine - look more to the lecturers, general Uni/faculty atmosphere, what's on offer, co-curriculars, transport to get to the campus etc.

In any case, As Ozko linked above, the planned new builond was just submitted for planning approval, so I'd say it would still be at least 2-3 years away from being a fully functioning building .

Bobbykumar1

HSC
thank you sooo much for the link.
LOL, l know what you mean.

Bobbykumar1

HSC
UNSW ATAR 96.40
USYD ATAR 94.00

the program l was told about at school allows me to go USYD and do commerce for an ATAR of 80.

Bobbykumar1

HSC
its called Inspired By Business Program.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bored of Studies

Administrator
Administrator
With low cut off requirements, beyond the publicised numbers it would be best to get in touch with the University or faculty to confirm. There are numerous scenarios when this could happen. I will look at sourcing more info on the Inspired By Business Program. Keep an eye on this space.

Bored of Studies

Administrator
Administrator
Appears to be a support program. Most Universities have these kind of programs as a benefit or means to encourage students who are capable but might not have considered a University education at all. Might want to check what the other Universities are doing as well. Meanwhile clarification from the University of Sydney Business School is as follows:

The Inspired By Business Program at the University of Sydney Business School provides students in the Program with financial support of $10,000 per annum for three years, as well as individualised support for career planning and academic advice. Students in the program are also assigned a mentor throughout their first year. As a highly prestigious scheme, applicants are selected based on a rigorous talent selection process and not just ATAR alone. This involves a principal endorsement with supporting documentation and then, for those shortlisted, an interview with a panel. Applicants shortlisted from the interviews are then required to achieve a minimum ATAR of 80 for an offer to the Program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)