New Word Limit Question - Important, please reply (1 Viewer)

selana

HSC
My story is sitting at 8,800 words and I can't see how to cut it down (I already cut it down from 11,000 words). A friend of mine told me that we're given a 10% over and under allowance. Is hat true? I don't want to send it in as it is if they're not going to mark it all.

crimsonking

HSC
I've never heard anything of the like.

Come on. We all know that at the start of the course, the word limit is 6000-8000. Like another poster said on another thread; 100-200 wouldn't really matter, but 800 would, thats like 4-5 extra pages to read which would mean 10-15 minutes of reading for the marker...and they notice that type of thing.

I think they would mark it, but you won't get the same marks. Simply, because it is not fair, my MW is sitting at 7000 words cut down from 7800, it could of been 9000 easily, but that simply isn't fair.

Better get cracking, you probably have to hand it in tomorow. I do.

Emph

HSC
From www.dictionary.com

LIMIT
  1. The point, edge, or line beyond which something cannot or may not proceed.
  2. limits The boundary surrounding a specific area; bounds: within the city limits.
  3. A confining or restricting object, agent, or influence.
  4. The greatest or least amount, number, or extent allowed or possible: a withdrawal limit of $200; no minimum age limit.

A word limit is exactly that... a LIMIT. You cannot go outside the specified boundaries. 6000-8000 words is the limit... like it or lump it.

renton

HSC
Emph said:
From www.dictionary.com

LIMIT
  1. The point, edge, or line beyond which something cannot or may not proceed.
  2. limits The boundary surrounding a specific area; bounds: within the city limits.
  3. A confining or restricting object, agent, or influence.
  4. The greatest or least amount, number, or extent allowed or possible: a withdrawal limit of $200; no minimum age limit.
A word limit is exactly that... a LIMIT. You cannot go outside the specified boundaries. 6000-8000 words is the limit... like it or lump it.
Okay, a simple "wrong" would've done just fine.

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
They didn't say anything about 10% over or under, you have to be in between. They did give us some very generous leeway (if that's how you spell it)

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Emph said:
ah... but one should always back up thier facts! But true... perhaps I was a bit harsh :(
Nah :) you're lovely emphiness

I think I heard the 10%thing at the conference for Ext 2 at James Ruse.
But like, try TRY TRY to go under (i'm sure another 100 words is okay, butnot more than that)

Dio-Rama

HSC
i was told that there is absolutely no way that i could go over, coz i was 980 words ova, but i had to cut it down. even one word ova is an advantage, coz its one word more than the rest of us get.

HSC
N/A
That 10% under or over sounds totally uni-like.

I have never heard about it for the EE2 course... am inclined to think it doesn't exist (as if they could be bothered sitting there counting words) however I do think they will mark you down if it is significantly/obviously over the word limit.

Probably not bad enough to not mark it at all though :)

It's probably too late to go back and rework the story - my best advice would probably to decrease the page margins as far as you can (putting more words on page = hopefully less pages in total), and make sure you pick a concept that can be adequately explored within the word limits next time :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)