Newbie book buyer (1 Viewer)

leannespeaks

HSC
Hey 'os.

.During my exploration @ the UWS current student website, i noticed the link of UWS books called connectbooks.

I clicked on it in the hopes of getting info about purchasing books ..

apparently, the list of uni books are found at the unit outline section in vUWS site

and my eyes were like.."Wt- is this supposed to mean..?"

. i need help , guidance and a practical lay man's guide on how to purchase books cause this is driving my brain cells into a "confusion drive"

THANKS heaps..

Lara1986

HSC
apparently, the list of uni books are found at the unit outline section in vUWS site
Further to the post above - if your book list details aren't on the connect books site, you can find them in unit outlines as you mentioned above.

These unit outlines will be available on the vUWS website (Log in to vUWS) once your unit coordinators put them up. The unit outlines = subject guides basically. Gives you all the basic info you need to complete the unit.

Keep in mind though that not all units have a vUWS page so if there isn't one up for any/all your units once semester starts, check with your unit coordniator to see if there's supposed to be one :)

leannespeaks

HSC
Thanks so much guys : )

i got my law books already..
but im still confused about my communication units

ive checked connectbooks for the booklist of

101040= Approaches to communication

101057= Writing as communication

but it doesnt have any book details yet

and so i went to the vuws site ..as what lara suggested

i saw the unit outline..but it didnt say anything about books

it only says :

Texts:

Unit reader available from co-op bookshop

0_0

help?

kagura

HSC
Wow, the prices for some of these textbooks are kinda expensive - is there a textbook loan scheme at UWS?

leannespeaks

HSC
yeah they are very pricey....

: (

i was also thinking of a textbook scheme too...hopefully uws has one

keyword: Hope..

lol

John0

HSC
Just wait until uni actually starts and find out in the first lecture and tutorial what textbooks you actually need if you cant find the information in the unit outline. Some units done even require a textbook so keep that in mind.

They're expensive, i paid $240 for a set of textbooks for one unit... the uws bookshop gives you a 10% discount if u have your membership card/student card. Alot of people end up swapping/selling textbooks after they finish a unit so it doesnt hurt to ask when you do start.

leannespeaks

HSC
Just wait until uni actually starts and find out in the first lecture and tutorial what textbooks you actually need if you cant find the information in the unit outline. Some units done even require a textbook so keep that in mind.

They're expensive, i paid $240 for a set of textbooks for one unit... the uws bookshop gives you a 10% discount if u have your membership card/student card. Alot of people end up swapping/selling textbooks after they finish a unit so it doesnt hurt to ask when you do start.
AHHHHHH....

nods*

thanks Johno for that helpful advice.

yeah..my law books are expensive...
and that is just only for my law books.

Lara1986

HSC
AHHHHHH....

nods*

thanks Johno for that helpful advice.

yeah..my law books are expensive...
and that is just only for my law books.
If cost is a concern - check out lawbooks.com or textbookexchange or general student ads on campus/online --> will save you a bunch (provided the editions are right etc).

Unless youre 'ilke me and just can't be bothered getting books from different sources, its a really good way to save money cause half the time the people selling them are lazy students so the books are in pristine condition :p

chad29

HSC
Do we have to buy the books over the internet or can we go to a shop(if there is one)? I'm going to the Penrith campus

beefnoodle

HSC
isnt too early to buy textbooks now?
is it essential for the first lesson?
isnt better to wait until the first lesson, when your lecture will tell you what to buy?

sxcmathschick

HSC
everyone will be thinking the same as you.... When you actually get there, you wont get into the bookstore for the first couple of weeks cos it is so packed! Its best to get your books early, although some people go all year without them. You can loan them from the library, but you wait for weeks to get it, Then you only have two weeks to use it. Anyway, good luck with your search.

Lara1986

HSC
isnt too early to buy textbooks now?
is it essential for the first lesson?
isnt better to wait until the first lesson, when your lecture will tell you what to buy?
That's what the unit outline/'official' book lists are for - they tell you what to buy =.

if it says it is "text" or "required", you have to get it. if it says "recommended" - wait to check with the teacher as it is an extra thta you may or may not really need.

It is oftne useful to get your books earlier as they just about always run out, particularly if you're doing common/popular units. This is partly because UWS (at least in the past) had a policy of not stocking the same number of books/readers as students as they know that people drop out or don't buy the books - i.e. they won't get sold and they don't make money. So they deliberately get less than they need.

Although they will order them in if they run out, you may have to wait a week or 2 which can be a real pain if you're doing a class where the textbook is an absolute necessity.

sullyman

HSC
Does anyone know the book list for Chemistry 1???

It hasnt been posted on the Connect books site and i cant find a vuws page for the course.

Thanks

BigDk

HSC
Wow, the prices for some of these textbooks are kinda expensive - is there a textbook loan scheme at UWS?

yes its called centerlink, get used to it.... especially in the future

BigDk

HSC
and dont be such tight arses.

you hope that your $20,000 education will help you earn $40k when you start work, and you guys are tight about paying $500 a semester for an investment into your future.

not having textbooks is like training without a coach. your just disadvantaging yourself.

the textbook is your bible for the subject. granted for some subjects u dont need a textbook, where the lecturer has provided a decent studyguide...

sullyman

HSC
and dont be such tight arses.

you hope that your $20,000 education will help you earn $40k when you start work, and you guys are tight about paying $500 a semester for an investment into your future.

not having textbooks is like training without a coach. your just disadvantaging yourself.

the textbook is your bible for the subject. granted for some subjects u dont need a textbook, where the lecturer has provided a decent studyguide...
And whyyyyy does a person who will not do their HSC for 4 years care that we are bitching about uni textbook prices??? just curious

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)