newbie seeking help (1 Viewer)

dabuckstopshere

HSC
hey
this is my first time on the site. i just registered and am trying to work out how to use the site. i need help. im in yr11, next term will be in yr 12 (dont kno if that was obvious lol) and am picking up ext eng 2. im freaking out, i dont have any ideas, dont kno where i want to go with my major work or wats expected of me. i was reading some other threads ( i think thats the right word) and in reply a few people have talked about a showcase or something, is that other people's major works? can i see them or read them? if so how? lol i'd really like to get an idea of what i should be coming up with. if u could give me tips on using the site i'd love that too. i expect i'll be visiting it alot next term lol when in need jump on the net rite? lol is this thing worldwide or just Australia?
any help would be greatly appreciated
hope this message works/gets posted :rolleyes: :confused: :)

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
dabuckstopshere said:
hey
this is my first time on the site. i just registered and am trying to work out how to use the site. i need help. im in yr11, next term will be in yr 12 (dont kno if that was obvious lol) and am picking up ext eng 2. im freaking out, i dont have any ideas, dont kno where i want to go with my major work or wats expected of me. i was reading some other threads ( i think thats the right word) and in reply a few people have talked about a showcase or something, is that other people's major works? can i see them or read them? if so how? lol i'd really like to get an idea of what i should be coming up with. if u could give me tips on using the site i'd love that too. i expect i'll be visiting it alot next term lol when in need jump on the net rite? lol is this thing worldwide or just Australia?
any help would be greatly appreciated
hope this message works/gets posted :rolleyes: :confused: :)
Hey dabuckstopshere,

Welcome to Bored of Studies and the English Extension 2 forum!The Bored of Studies website is local and student based - it's not been created overseas so all the attention is on us Aussies and our secondary education! Ok, so firstly - don't freak out about EE2. Most students at this stage have few if any ideas for what they want to do for their major works. Most students also end up changing their idea once, twice or even thrice before they're happy. The showcase thread -
(here's the link - http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=77844) - should give you a good idea of the range of the competition, and perhaps also give you some insipiration!

Last edited:

NobodyKnows

HSC
Hi.

Ooooh, you're in the same boat as me! Well, sorta....
I'm picking up EE2 next term, too (not tomorrow but the next day, lol) and I'm being "nudged" by my teachers in the direction of a critique, which is probably what I'll end up doing.... but you never know, I might change my mind, have a habit of doing that.

Anyway, if you need any help with EE2-related stuff, or anything else, you can PM me if you like.... despite what a lot of people say, I'm actually rather nice.

-em-

ps - Welcome to BOS!! It's pretty easy to use, once you familiarise yourself with it. Shouldn't be a problem for you.

HSC
N/A
Hello, dabuckstopshere! Welcome to the EE2 forum!

Don't stress out about choice of medium just yet. Not only do more than a few change medium sometime during *next* year, but a lot of people will also only get "the" concept somewhere around the Christmas/summer holiday break. Spend this first term experimenting and researching what sort of things you'd like to do - you don't need to be 100% prepared from the get-go! :)

gorgo31

HSC
Kawinuyo said:
Hi! i'm new here too, just wondering if there are any sort of ideas and themes that should be avoided, too cliche or idea's that are too complex or something similar.
Teen angst. Avoid like the plague.

glitterfairy: I've just edited in the original question - we have a timewarp bug on the loose!

Last edited by a moderator:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Hi! i'm new here too, just wondering if there are any sort of ideas and themes that should be avoided, too cliche or idea's that are too complex or something similar.
I would be fairly careful when centering a piece around teen angst/romance etc. unless you can be fairly original with the concept but otherwise its a fairly open playing field.:)
EDIT:Ooh timewarped post!

Kawinuyo

HSC
Question

aileenli

HSC
newbie 2!!!!

yay sum peop just like me. my 1st ee2 lesson eva was on 2 weeks ago but the teacher disappeared after that. is it just me or do u guys just sit there and talk all lesson about junk? i'm getting worried coz i've only had one lesson and i still dont know what we are supposed to do for this sub.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i loved doing EE2. it was my fave class this year. cos most of it was sitting around in class chatting. Our teacher was awesome, shes my fave teacher ever cos shes also my Advanced English teacher and she knows what shes doing. ive had some chronically bad teachers in my time.
anyways. dont stress too much,... it hardly ever gets you anywhere.
Also, remember to do something that you actually want to do. that will motivate you more than anything anyone says.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
aileenli said:
yay sum peop just like me. my 1st ee2 lesson eva was on 2 weeks ago but the teacher disappeared after that. is it just me or do u guys just sit there and talk all lesson about junk? i'm getting worried coz i've only had one lesson and i still dont know what we are supposed to do for this sub.
Essentially at this point there is no real fixed outcome, but many classes would have a sort of workshop on ideas and writing - discussing texts you could use to research into the medium and genre/style you hope to write in, preparing your proposal and going over the syllabus and what it means to you. You also may or may not discuss how your ideas relate the the Advanced and Extension 1 course depending on the type of Major you intend to craft. They may also set you up to go to certain seminars and study days for the subject. You'd also be recording and reflecting on this stuff in your journal.

However don't be worried if you haven't done those things - you've only just started and everyone has different ways of doing things, but thats an outline of things you might do over the course of this term until you develop your own idea, at which point its just write, write and write some more!

There's also a really good document set up by HGHS here that you may like to look at too.:)

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
This little niche of the forum is seeing so many new faces. I don't know half of you. Hello all! I'm Marcus, a long time EE2er.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Pleased to meet you and your compatriot :), but it's Marcus son of Hellen (I'm dancing the Syrtos, you see).

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
one good tip is that since you're all EE2 students, the range of all your writing abiltiies should be very narrow, hence the proposal and report themselves will not help you stand out THAT much from your fellow EE2ers. However, the VIVA VOCE is the one you want to nail a lot harder than any other assessments. You nail that, and you ranking will be high, i almost garuntee it.

E

Ems xox

me too

hey i am also just picking up EE2. how exciting is it! im excited. I changed my mind from critical analysis to short story/novella. just because i think i have a good idea and hopefully will be able to go with it. We have only had one lesson and we just chatted about our ideas etc. dont worry, nobody really knows what they are doing yet. have you started your journals yet?

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
gorgo31 said:

glitterfairy: I've just edited in the original question - we have a timewarp bug on the loose!
Truer words were never spoken!

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
AntonTheswan said:
I envy those of you who actually have a class. We can't timetable ours in until next year. Despite this lack of concrete structure, we are already becoming snobby and elitist in the true spirit of EE2
You've got a darn fine niche going here Anton, I'll probably have a few hundred posts between questions and freaking over the next year or so lol ^^

Opium

:: Unbound ::
HSC
gorgo31 said:
I can't agree more with this guy ^

If you so much as think about making a story on teen angst or teen romances drop extension 2 immediately :)

I know it's difficult but try and think up something really original that hasn't been done before or if you are really clever (this could go horribly horribly wrong mind you) take a cliched idea and make give it a completely new insight that makes it very original and witty. But if you don't pull that off correctly it'll turn very bad for you. I mean the person who came first in extension 2 in 2004 wrote a story about waking up, getting dressed and taking a bus into the city. Then coming back again.....that's it. It was a very interesting read.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)