newbie seeking help (1 Viewer)

gwemma88

HSC
Waking up and getting a bus? sounds thrilling. Not. Well i guess you really can make a story out of anything.

Skitten

HSC
Its the originality that's the hard part. How many people here have settled on an idea yet?

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Skitten said:
Its the originality that's the hard part. How many people here have settled on an idea yet?
Agree with you that originality is very hard.
I think i'm combining themes of Cultural Identity and Heaven (not a christian one...).
Both are themes i'm quite interested in, inspired by various novels + personal family history etc. I dont know if you'd call them original, but I suppose the way i'm creating is original.

Originality is another issue i have to deal with in my visual arts major work. W00t. Sorry wrong forum. Oh well

Toodles.

madelyn

HSC
hey, I'm a newbie too...and I'm starting to get a bit panicky as it's been a whole term and i still don't have an idea that's well developed or that I'm satisfied with (proposals due next week too) ...how often did you end up changing your ideas, and when did you finally begin work on the idea you chose and were happy with?

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
lukem88 said:
Please tell me if my story is not original enough.

Well basically mine is a story about a detective working in Penrith (I thought it would be a bit different, not like your usual Cabramatta or Kings Cross) in the early 1990s. The suburb faces race riots between Asian gangs and Anglo Saxon people (similar to the ones encountered in Sydney at the moment) and the detective is involved in rectifying this situation. He is also having an affair. A corrupt politicial hopeful finds this out and shows this to the detective and threatens to take this to his wife and kids unless he assassinates his political opponent, the State Member for Penrith.
First of all, what concept are you exploring with that story?

Second, it does seem a bit cliche. Hard boiled detective has his hand forced by people above him, and ends up doing some dirty work. Let me guess, he gets revenge back on said corrupt political hopeful nearer the end?

That's not to say you can't go somewhere highly original with that idea, but if you were looking to wow the markers with originality, I would recommend against it.

Your ideas, with the gangs and such, reminds me of a friend's story. What kind of names were you planning on using for your characters?

E

Ems xox

hey all,
this is my idea, what do you think.
I am exploring the life of a child with disabilities as my brother is severly disabled, my aim is to educate and create empathy.
The plot will mainly involve his journey through childhood and his family's acceptance of his condition. I am also considering using a biblical allusion to Jesus Christ but not sure yet.

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
2004 showcase, read earth to max. Same concept.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)