Newcastle Misses Out On Funding (1 Viewer)

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Hey All
You might have noticed in today’s Newcastle Herald (July 3rd) that Newcastle University has received only a very minimal amount of funding from the Federal Government. Newcastle applied for a total of 400 funding places and unfortunately only 28 were granted. This means that there is a funding shortfall of $4 million. This is going to cause increases in students fees and for prospective students it looks like UAI's are going to increase quite dramatically.
This is probably the worst possible news a year 12 student, who wishes to study at Newcastle, can hear. I'm trying to get into business/law and that requires 92.15 (which was hard enough) and now it looks like that figure is going to increase.
For current students the news is just as bad. Most of you have already been subject to a 25% increase in HECS fees and now due to the incompetence of our current government it looks like HECS fees will be raised again.
This just isn't right. Most politicians are idiots, but there has to be a group better than the ones in power now.
There isn't much point in this thread, I just felt like venting some anger.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The 25% increase only affects students who commence courses in 2005 or later, current students are not directly affected. I say directly, because there will be inevitable effects on student welfare due to the funding shortfall.

twiddla

yeah that really sux big time - i was loking to get into physio or med which are both 97+ at the momment and now i might end up having to get something like 99 to get in a newcastle - that will also mean that the diff between syd and newcastle for physio will be even greater than b4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)