Newcastle Uni Open Day (1 Viewer)

asha_ramirez

HSC
Aloha! I was just wondering if anyone is going to the newy uni open day tomorrow, and what seminars you're going to check out?

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
asha_ramirez said:
Aloha! I was just wondering if anyone is going to the newy uni open day tomorrow, and what seminars you're going to check out?
Hey
I only just noticed this thread after I went to the open day. I thought it was a really good day and provided an excellent overview of the degrees available. I went to a lot of presentations including-:
Law
Business
Psychology
Economics & Politics
Sociology and Anthropology
Management
Communications & Illustration
What seminars did you attend? What do you think you'll be studying next year?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Craig said:
Hey
I went to a lot of presentations including-:
Psychology
who gave the psych preso?
and if anyone was crazy enough to go to bio, who presented it (haha, i just want to know if anyone at the uni was dumb enough to give Gary Ellem the chance to corrupt you poor little still-innocent kiddies)

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
who gave the psych preso?
and if anyone was crazy enough to go to bio, who presented it (haha, i just want to know if anyone at the uni was dumb enough to give Gary Ellem the chance to corrupt you poor little still-innocent kiddies)
Ross Fulham was the presenter for psych. He was pretty good. He knew what he was talking about.

asha_ramirez

HSC
I thought it was a really good day, I didn't go to all the ones I wanted to go to but meh. I went to:
Speech Pathology
Life sciences = bio tech
psychology
philosophy

I'm not studying next year because I'm going to America.. for some reason.. to travel, I'll still apply and defer, I don't know what I want to do anyway lol.

The psych guy did know what he was talking about, but after finding out more about the course I'm not considering it. I need more freedom in uni I think, and it seems to strict... and soo many years (considering that the Howard is bringing in a 7 year limit on hecs... well the gov will only pay for 7 years of study).
If I was seriously considering Psych I'd have to go through to do a post-grad degree.
On the other hand, Speech Pathology looks reallllly good, I was very impressed. Definately something I'll consider.
And if all else fails I'll study philosophy (maybe religious studies as well).
Definately not bio-tech...*cough* crap *cough*
I don't think I got enough diversity in what I saw that day, considering I didn't stay for the whole day. But it was well worth it :D

asha_ramirez

HSC
Craig said:
Hey
I only just noticed this thread after I went to the open day. I thought it was a really good day and provided an excellent overview of the degrees available. I went to a lot of presentations including-:
Law
Business
Psychology
Economics & Politics
Sociology and Anthropology
Management
Communications & Illustration
What seminars did you attend? What do you think you'll be studying next year?
How was the Sociology and Anthropology seminar? I'd like to hear what your opinion of the course is, considering I didn't get to the seminar! PM me if you want.. or post here. Thankies!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
the bpsych program is pretty strict, but if you are into psych, how about a BA or BSc (go the BSc's!!!), with a APS accredited sequence?
that way you get to tailor your degree to suit yourself, and get looooots of flexibility...
but yeah, it is a looooong time by the time you do masters and everything.

asha_ramirez

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
the bpsych program is pretty strict, but if you are into psych, how about a BA or BSc (go the BSc's!!!), with a APS accredited sequence?
that way you get to tailor your degree to suit yourself, and get looooots of flexibility...
but yeah, it is a looooong time by the time you do masters and everything.
Yeah that's what I'm worried about, but if I want the career of course I'll have to put in the years of study... as long as Howard covers me for 7 years of study I may as well make use of them!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
so whats happenning, is Howard only covering 7 yrs of study with HECS?
well, i spose most people are finished their degrees within 5 yrs...and then masters and stuff are on PELS, so i guess its not tooooo bad...

asha_ramirez

HSC
Yeah my carreers advisor told me about it a couple of days ago. It's changing, I'm not sure he'll still call it HECS he'll probably give it some new name like 'GST$' lol.
Yeah the gov. will only cover students for 7 years... I'm just going to move to Scotland and become a full time student after I use up all my Australian study time, haha!
Stupid government.

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
asha_ramirez said:
How was the Sociology and Anthropology seminar? I'd like to hear what your opinion of the course is, considering I didn't get to the seminar! PM me if you want.. or post here. Thankies!
The sociology and anthropology presentation was awesome. I really enjoyed it. It was presented by Dr Terry Leahy and he was predominately interested in sociology. He was an absolute crackup in all honesty. He made it really interesting and just made the course look really appealing. In the presentation he showed all these advertisements which showed ideals about woman’s role in the world and attempted to explain why these beliefs developed within society. What I really liked about him though was that he identified that a lot of different perspectives existed and he took them into account when making his judgments. That’s a sign of an extremely knowledgeable individual.
His only downfall was that at the start of the seminar he didn’t explain what sociology and anthropology was. Most students in the seminar didn’t really know what sociology and anthropology was and from that they didn't really know what he was going on about, therefore resulting in them claiming that the course was stupid. I was sitting in the presentation really enjoying it (as, through interest, I’ve undertaken studies in it this year) and they kept looking at me like I was a fool.
I would love to go study anthropology and sociology; however there aren’t many job opportunities that come with it. Practically you do research analysis for the rest of your life, which relies on government spending. If all goes to plan it'll be one of the degrees I’ll go back and study when I’m 50.

asha_ramirez

HSC
I can relate to that, I can definitley(sp?) see myself going back to uni when I'm older, I suppose we have to think of practicality at this age; ie - what will get us a good job. Which is a shame, because I'd like to major in philosophy, which is useless... who wants to employ someone who thinks about thinking?
I'm glad you enjoyed the S & A seminar, it would have been good, I made up my mind that I wanted that course when I was in year 9/10, but things do change.
Goodluck with it anyway :)

babygoose!

>>rraahhh<<
HSC
yeah i went...
the life sciences lecture was truly crap..turned me off studying it.
the medical radiation one was pretty interesting...seriously thinking about applying for it
engineering has flown out the window....so boring...
went over to the forum...that place was pretty awesome....thinking bout newi uni just so i can get cheap membership lol.....
overall the day was really useful.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)