Next year freshman needs help about a range of issues!! (1 Viewer)

bikapika

HSC
First of all thx for reading this post guys ur efford is much appreciated.

As I'm very likely to do law and economics at ANU next year, I'm wondering about a few issues:

1.) How much will I need to spend on text books? If I want to buy cheaper 2nd hand books, are there always ppl trying to sell? Is there a bookshop that sells second hand books on campus or do I have to run around and ask ppl on my own?

2.) Is it hard to get a part time/casual job in canberra? (compare to metro sydney)

Thx guys i need to start financial planning now : )

Evilo

HSC
1) i don't know because im doing different courses, but if you're staying at a residential college, its pretty easy to pick up text books from older years. (i was able to get all of my books 2nd hand [and in mint condition] from 2nd years). Perhaps some of the other bos users can give you information on possible costs.
2) if you look hard enough, you'll probably find something. Most people like myself are just lazy lol, its pretty easy tbh. I've seen plenty of casual sales jobs around the shops. A bit of experience is always helpful.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
are you doing stat1008? if so dont buy the text book as you won't need it.... i barely used 10 pages. bloody $120 down the drain.

look outside manning clark, i bet you the first day of semester the boards will be spammed with notices selling text books. also the second hand bookshop can come in handy.

and getting a job.... definitely. there's a huge shopping centre 5 minutes away from ANU, not to mention the bunch of cafes on campus.

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
oh yes, jas0nt touched on a point. Don't go out and buy all the text books new on the 1st day. Chat up students who did the course last year and ask if they actually used it. Many books are available on a 2hr loan etc from the anu libraries anyway.

EDIT - keep in mind if they are trying to flog off their text books, and you ask them if you will 'actually need them' - there could be a conflcit of interest.

Last edited:

bikapika

HSC
Arhhh thx guys! So I don't have to rush to buy textbooks to bring to Canberra lol thats great

I heard that textbooks for law are particularly expensive

Evilo

HSC
oh yeah, the torts text book is thinker than a bible and is something rediculous like $125 or something. Trick is to chat up the 2nd years and get their text books (if possible), advertising around the hall etc. If you're keen, you can always get a text book 2nd hand (unless its a new version of course).

bikapika

HSC
of course im buying 2nd hand books if i can get them
hopefully i can get them b4 other 1st years lol
are they usually much cheaper, say 50%, or just around 10~20% off the original price?

im ok with 3rd hand and 4th hand books btw my budget is tied

Evilo

HSC
really depends how good of a hawker you are. I didnt pay more that 45-40% off full price (full price includes 10% co-op discount).
My average is probably about 50% off RRP, and most books were in very good condition. Depends on the popularity of the course, and how many books are floating around.

bikapika

HSC
since law and commerce/economics are popular courses
now im feeling confident : )

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
hmmmm you'd want to get the micro text book. i always used it and always kept it in my bag.... in fact i doubt one can pass the course without owning their own copy lol.

unco_wannabe

HSC
gday all

im planning on doint arts/law at ANU
and im very pumped
however everyone who asks me where im goin and when i reply 'ANU *making sure they dont think its the inferior university of canberra (jokes )* they all just reply
"F****..canberra that place is a hole"
i have nothing to say.
so need help from those who are ther "is Canberra a "hole" "

Evilo

HSC
unco_wannabe said:
gday all

im planning on doint arts/law at ANU
and im very pumped
however everyone who asks me where im goin and when i reply 'ANU *making sure they dont think its the inferior university of canberra (jokes )* they all just reply
i have nothing to say.
http://community.boredofstudies.org...versity/162055/any-lovely-pictures-anu/2.html

Down the bottom i cover it. Go to the 1st page to see pics of anu.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Law text books are updated and new editions published relatively often though, to reflect changes in the law. Make sure the 2nd-hand law text book is still relevant before buying it. And yes law textbooks are stupidly expensive, usually somewhere between $80-$160.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
unco_wannabe said:
they all just reply
i have nothing to say.
tell them to go suck a fat one.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
also the second hand book shop FTMFW!

got a macro text book there for 25% of the retail price ($15), and it was in pretty good nick too... giggidy...

bikapika

HSC
jas0nt said:
also the second hand book shop FTMFW!

got a macro text book there for 25% of the retail price ($15), and it was in pretty good nick too... giggidy...
wow lol maybe i should arrive to canberra a day early to buy books b4 other kids hav got them : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)