nexttttt (1 Viewer)

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
So, biology is next on the list for my exams! i hope to expect people are posting heaps of questions on biology!! (as this is a good form of study for me!)

I cant wait for bio, its the easiest subject ever imo and i will denature the crap out of it. anyone else feeling that way? :D

Last edited:

dolbinau

HSC
I hope so. Just have to try and get the option (Communication) down.

Buttigieg

Elite Member
HSC
yeah, i have bio next, and it is the easiest out of all my subjects (but i wouldnt go as far as saying that its the easiest). Bio is my fav subject, and i guess thats why i do well in it...all the best to the bio ppl!

dolbinau

HSC
Ok. Do you want to make this the official study topic :p? someone start off with the questions.

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
dolbinau said:
I hope so. Just have to try and get the option (Communication) down.
Lol yeah im a bit rusty on the Communication topic too....ill get down do it real soon, and then ill spam myself with past papers :>

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
Lol, i have to go like now, but sure ill start...ill go simple..

Explain the adaptive advantage of haemoglobin.

jortari

jumanji!
HSC
yeah i need to get comm'n down pat, but its not my next exam
i have indo tomorrow and then gen maths on thursday
dammmmn cause i really would have liked more time for bio
good luck though to everyone!

Buttigieg

Elite Member
HSC
syriangabsta said:
Explain the adaptive advantage of haemoglobin.
- Haemoglobin increases the oxygen-carrying ability of blood
- haveing haemoglobin is advantagous because if the gases are just dissolved in the plasma, it can upset the osmotic balance of the blood
- red blood cells do not have a nucleus, and this leaves for more space for haemoglobin

anybody like to add more?

Just.Snaz

HSC
Buttigieg said:
- haveing haemoglobin is advantagous because if the gases are just dissolved in the plasma, it can upset the osmotic balance of the blood
- red blood cells do not have a nucleus, and this leaves for more space for haemoglobin

carbon dioxide can also travel in the plasma by attaching to haemoglobin and creating "carbamino haemoglobin". Hence, haemoglobin also allows for more CO2 to be removed, helps prevent blood being too acidic, a decrease in enzyme activity and etc etc..

also, more oxygen means more cellular respiration meaning more energy (ATP) being produced.. meaning animals can escape predators faster, live in colder conditions, etc

:D

danz90

HSC
Buttigieg said:

The shape of the haemoglobin molecule changes slightly each time it binds with the oxygen molecules. The attachment of the first molecule makes it easier for the second, third and fourth molecule of oxygen to attach. Haemoglobin therefore becomes saturated easily.

Next Question: Identify the role of genes in maintaining health.

Last edited:

dolbinau

HSC
For the Adaptive advantage of haemoglobin, I know it's obvious, but can we also say that more oxygen=more energy for more complex cells/tissues/organs/systems etc....?

Just.Snaz

HSC
danz90 said:
The shape of the haemoglobin molecule changes slightly each time it binds with the oxygen molecules. The attachment of the first molecule makes it easier for the second, third and fourth molecule of oxygen to attach. Haemoglobin therefore becomes saturated easily.
This doesn't answer the question whatsoever. How is does haemoglobin becoming saturated easily have anything to do with it's adaptive advantage?

danz90

HSC
Just.Snaz said:
This doesn't answer the question whatsoever. How is does haemoglobin becoming saturated easily have anything to do with it's adaptive advantage?
that's adding to the information given above. by become saturated easily, organisms can survive at high altitudes where there is low oxygen concentration.
hence even small amounts of haemoglobin can provide sufficient oxygen for metabolic processes.

Just.Snaz

HSC
danz90 said:
that's adding to the information given above. by become saturated easily, organisms can survive at high altitudes where there is low oxygen concentration.
hence even small amounts of haemoglobin can provide sufficient oxygen for metabolic processes.
that's better :)

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
hhmm weird no one actually mentioned that haemoglobin can carry four units of oxygen besides minor mention in saturation part but would make no sense unless this was explain. Plus its because it can carry four oxygen units it is efficent at carrying oxygen......

Next Question: Identify the role of genes in maintaining health

danz90

HSC
obimoshman1234 said:
hhmm weird no one actually mentioned that haemoglobin can carry four units of oxygen besides minor mention in saturation part but would make no sense unless this was explain. Plus its because it can carry four oxygen units it is efficent at carrying oxygen......
well basically haemoglobin increases the amount of oxygen that can be carried in blood. otherwise, oxygen has a solubility of 9mg/L in water at room temperature, hence solubility in blood plasma would be even less, since solubility of oxygen decreases with increasing temp.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
obimoshman1234 said:

Next Question: Identify the role of genes in maintaining health
- Talk about how genes are responsible for polypeptide and ultimately, protein production. Therefore it is critical to have healthy genes to ensure that we have normal functional proteins (which are essential to a healthy organism)
- Production of proteins, more spefically, enzymes --> ensures that correct metabolic processes occur, homeostasis can be maintained and the organism can function in a healthy manner.
- You can also point to the role of proto-oncogenes and tumour suppressor genes, which produce proteins to help create a balance in the division of cell cycles. If these genes were to be severely affected, it'd have a major impact on organisms through the production of cancers.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Evaluate the effectiveness of quarantine in preventing the spread of plant and animal diseases into Aus. or across regions of Aus.

dolbinau

HSC
For this evaluation, do we need to have specific examples or just generalise?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)