NIDA Open Day (1 Viewer)

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
My advice, as someone who is working in Film and TV (not as an actor thank god) is this. #1 no matter what you are doing, the audition process is hell, whether it's for a community theatre or NIDA.

#2 nobody cares where you studied drama, if you don't audition well, you don't get the part. Often it's not your fault - the director/casting agent is looking for a certain person and you aren't it. It doesn't mean you're a bad actor. It may even be a compliment. They might be looking for someone who seems a bit crazy...would you prefer they think ur a nutcase, or not enough of a nutcase?

There are many ways to skin a cat, as they say, and drama school is only one way. There are many wonderful directors out there who have yonks of experience and are only too happy to share it. Join community theatre, audition for as many parts as you can find, get experience.

They say "it's not what you know, it's who you know." I disagree. Unless you're doing 'favours' for the producer, you will be picked based on merit. I would like to think: "it's not who you know, it's who knows you." You don't have to be a suck up, but get yourself out there ('network'). The more people who know you, the more you're likely to be reccomended for a part etc.

Good luck, I think anyone whose an actor is crazy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)