Nietzsche and the like (1 Viewer)

Farnarcle

I was just wondering if anybody had read anything on Nietzsche, Plato or Kant lately that they would reccommend.

Preferably, something simple to start with, of course.

GJ_JOE

blood brother
are you doing philosophy of the enlightenment or something like that?

i recently had to read a chapter of Kant entitled 'freedom to reason' ...it was interesting but Diderot's explanation ('the innocent and the corrupt') was more interesting to me

i have to read Nietzsche's 'genealogy of morals' for next week...

Farnarcle

No, I do visual arts, and we've been treading into a bit of philosophy, so I just thought that I could read a bit more into it.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
i've read a bit out of Nietzche's - the gay science - (death of god and the revaluation).. it's a bit heavy but interesting.

oh hang on.. lol.. u want stuff ON them, or stuff they'd written?? lol oops... =P

Farnarcle

I was actually lookingfor their actual writings. I was thinking of starting with Plato and working my way to the present. I dunno, what interests me, maybe I just like finding how other people think. Maybe it something more subconcious, like wanting to know how to live and think my life as full asn best as possible.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
cant go past the antichrist as a beginning

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
try plato's euthyphro... it's about what it means to be morally right and what place God has in morality.

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Zarathustra
It was written during WWII so he is very biased against the Germans, (Kant, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche and Marx)

LoL when isn't betrand biased against others in his publications ? :D

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
and we have killed him..

What impresses me most about Nietzsche is how frighteningly prescient some of his writings were. For instance, an aphorism such as the following anticipates the enormity of totalitarianism by at least fifty years;

The better established the state is, the fainter is humanity (1873 Note, published in 'The Portable Nietzsche')

Additionally, his writings of changing value-systems, (The world revolves inaudibly-Thus Spoke Zarathustra) moral relativism, and subjectivity were of great influence to philosophers such as Foucault, which is presumably why Nietzsche has been dubbed 'The first postmodernist'., I think the following quote demonstrates this aspect nicely;

What, then, is truth? A mobile army of metaphors, metonyms and anthropomorphisms- in short, a sum of human relations, which have been enhanced, transposed, and embellished poetically and rhetorically, and which after long use seem firm, canonical and obligatory to a people; truths are illusions about which one has forgotten that this is what they are ('On Truth and Lie in an Extra-Moral Sense' pp.46-7)

I'd second the 'Portable Nietzsche' recommendation. Cheap, with Zarathustra, Twilight of the Idols, The Antichrist and Nietzsche contra Wagner published in their entirety, as well as another 150 pages of excerpts from other works, notes (Including that would eventually become posthumously compiled as 'The Will The Power') etc:. Well worth it.

For Plato, 'The Republic' is quite good, and a vital text in Classical philosophy. Also the first literary utopia...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)