• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Nigger Please (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad80boy

HSC
I recently finished reading the novel Hucklberry Finn by Mark Twain and I found the term Nigger was overused to an insulting extent. I was offended by this as I have a friend of colour. I mean really, Bitch Please, Mark Twain.

sarah889

HSC
bitch please!!
you wud think they would edit nigger out and replace it with something else like negro

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
mad80boy said:
I recently finished reading the novel Hucklberry Finn by Mark Twain and I found the term Nigger was overused to an insulting extent. I was offended by this as I have a friend of colour. I mean really, Bitch Please, Mark Twain.
wasn't that the text's intention??

sarah889

HSC
bored of sc said:
i think you have misunderstood the purpose of the novel. It is not to insult negroes, rather promote them in a positive light
??

mad80boy

HSC
bored of sc said:
Yes you are correct in a way, but it can create the impression that they are worthless.

bored of sc

HSC
sarah889 said:
i think you have misunderstood the purpose of the novel. It is not to insult negroes, rather promote them in a positive light
??
oh, yer, true, personally I haven't read the text but I just assumed what I posted but now the above quote of yours makes perfect sense :)

by degrading negroes to such a level - the writer is trying to suggest that such a negative, pejorative stereotype is ridiculous and uncalled for; thus, the writer is attempting to persuade the responder to rethink any assumptions and stereotypes they sub-consciously create when they encounter a person of African-American decent and renew the responder to a tolerant, more accepting frame of mind

i think

thanks for that - that clears everything up

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
mad80boy said:
Why not lodge a complaint with the author or the publisher then? Seriously though, why bring up such a touchy issue when it would change nothing and serve little purpose at the end of the day. Look at the replies already:

fucking hate black people

subhuman filth

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Continuum said:
Why not lodge a complaint with the author
That's going to be quite a difficult task lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)