Night before studier? (1 Viewer)

friction

HSC
lucidassembly said:
Count yourself lucky lol. It probably does differ between schools, but I'm definitely in the same situation as Maystar currently. I can understand that there are a million different paths you can take to get into the courses or fields you want, but it stills feels a tad apocalyptic if I don't do at least moderately well in the hsc. Years of ingrained expectations are truly a pain.

Revolving doors... might steal that for my journeys story :p
Yea not too much pressure but i still want to achieve and many others do but its more internal pressure then external.

lucidassembly

HSC
friction said:
Yea not too much pressure but i still want to achieve and many others do but its more internal pressure then external.
I agree, although I've always thought they were at least somewhat linked. The internal pressure often arises because of the externally accepted notion that the hsc is the most important thing to have ever occured in the history of all occurences. Out of that, I think a lot of students end up having frustratingly high self expectations... and I count myself in that category lol.

Maystar

HSC
lucidassembly said:
I agree, although I've always thought they were at least somewhat linked. The internal pressure often arises because of the externally accepted notion that the hsc is the most important thing to have ever occured in the history of all occurences. Out of that, I think a lot of students end up having frustratingly high self expectations... and I count myself in that category lol.
Oh yes. That's very insightful. Lucidly put...
As for smarter students who only want a UAI of around 70 and hardly need to work to get them...it's around this time they start ringing you up saying "shit, what do I do?" Everybody starts doubting themselves now. There's all this hype and people go, can I really do that? I just want to do my silly English exam now, so I don't have to worry about it and I can start believing in myself again :p

lucidassembly

HSC
Maystar said:
As for smarter students who only want a UAI of around 70 and hardly need to work to get them...it's around this time they start ringing you up saying "shit, what do I do?" Everybody starts doubting themselves now. There's all this hype and people go, can I really do that? I just want to do my silly English exam now, so I don't have to worry about it and I can start believing in myself again :p
I must agree again :p It really is quite terrible... I started off this year aiming for 98.5, and at this stage, I just want to get into my course (or hey, any course would suit me fine!). Yr 12 has been seriously crushing in terms of the faith I have in my own abilities. You start thinking "My god, this is the year where everything has to be absolutely perfect", and so you end up never being able to reach an essentially irrational standard and feel as though you're constantly failing yourself. I still remember working on an english essay for about 6 weeks and still thinking it was absolute crap lol. Honestly, we've been doing exams for the past 6 years... and yet, these ones cause mass hysteria across the entire country. The hsc is the epitome of insane troll logic :rolleyes:

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
i personally believe that not only do we feel pressure due to our peers but also from the expectations of our families and the hype, hysteria and falsified idea that the HSC is an ultimatium all created by society. Truly i mean sure an exam is seemingly the best way to test students capabilities but the amount of pressure placed on everyone to perform is shocking.

Essentially everyone cracks under the pressure and stress associated with these exams i mean in the news not sure how long ago some girl committed sucide to get out of taking the exams because the stress was to much. I mean after that they didnt think wait mabye this isnt the best way. I hate these exams the whole year 11 and 12 process would be far better if it was to be reviewed and the hsc scraped

Maystar

HSC
lucidassembly said:
I must agree again :p It really is quite terrible... I started off this year aiming for 98.5, and at this stage, I just want to get into my course (or hey, any course would suit me fine!). Yr 12 has been seriously crushing in terms of the faith I have in my own abilities. You start thinking "My god, this is the year where everything has to be absolutely perfect", and so you end up never being able to reach an essentially irrational standard and feel as though you're constantly failing yourself. I still remember working on an english essay for about 6 weeks and still thinking it was absolute crap lol. Honestly, we've been doing exams for the past 6 years... and yet, these ones cause mass hysteria across the entire country. The hsc is the epitome of insane troll logic :rolleyes:
I'm really starting to take a liking to that word, troll.
I never really had a goal, I was that bad. I thought, I can only try so hard and get what I get. Which is true, but I think I really didn't set a goal because I didn't think I could achieve that well and I wouldn't feel very happy setting myself a low goal. The stupid irony of all this is that I was doing well in most exams right up until it started counting. Another thing I hate is coming on here with good intentions, to actually exchange pieces of information with a comrade, and then (a) getting majorly distracted or (b) (possibly worse) when you read a post that says, well what if they ask THIS in the exam and you go "oh balls, what if they ask that in the exam..."

Another irony (while I'm talking about ironies) is that you have a graduation and you get a certificate and everybody says "now you're free" but there's a weasel in the back of your head that goes, no, it's only just begun. And once it is actually over, once you walk out of your last exam...nothing happens. And I suspect I will go home thinking, what, it's really, holy, I mean, wow, can you believe, but, oh my, buffalo bagels, it's actually finally over. (but probably not verbatim)

At least you can take comfort when you go on a site like this and you see other people saying exactly the same things. And it tends to be people who care about their marks who are on sites like this...watching your competition fret and fiddle can be encouraging...hang on...I'm not supposed to be helping anyone...

I don't think I will be competing with you lucidassembly anyway...I'm aiming for a 96 now. My only real concern is English, and Economics is to some degree but I have a week to fix that up (and lovely people on this site to fret with). Ahh. You know. I'll bet the real BOS have forum trolls who print this stuff out and take it to work just to laugh at us. HSC. Highly strenuous circus. With a revolving door.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
I suddenly feel REALLY under prepared =D

lucidassembly

HSC
Firstly, you bolded me :D

Maystar said:
I'm really starting to take a liking to that word, troll.
I never really had a goal, I was that bad. I thought, I can only try so hard and get what I get. Which is true, but I think I really didn't set a goal because I didn't think I could achieve that well and I wouldn't feel very happy setting myself a low goal. The stupid irony of all this is that I was doing well in most exams right up until it started counting.
Troll is quite a nice word, i agree ;)
I hate that feeling. I tend to give myself unrealistic standards which I know I can never reach, so I can give myself a reason to feel horribly guilty. A little masochistic actually lol, but that's beside the point. I've always been insanely jealous of people who believe they're great at what they do. My fear of failure has consistently meant that I always do worse when it really counts. I was doing great this entire year, but I freaked out for the trials and kind of messed them up. I told myself I wouldn't do the same thing for the hsc, but I'm sure you can guess how that turned out. It always seems like its easier to deal with failure if you didn't try your hardest (because, of course, you can tell yourself that you probably could have done well!) than if you genuinely tried and failed anyway. (Why is this becoming more personal than conversations I have with my classmates? :p)

Maystar said:
Another thing I hate is coming on here with good intentions, to actually exchange pieces of information with a comrade, and then (a) getting majorly distracted or (b) (possibly worse) when you read a post that says, well what if they ask THIS in the exam and you go "oh balls, what if they ask that in the exam..."
(My sincere apologies if I'm currently distracting you by the way lol. Feel free to tell me to sod off at any time :) ) No matter what we do, I think we'll always feel somehow unprepared. No matter how much study I've done, I've never felt confident going into an exam in my entire life. A teacher once asked me if I was "pumped and ready", and I almost laughed!

Maystar said:
Another irony (while I'm talking about ironies) is that you have a graduation and you get a certificate and everybody says "now you're free" but there's a weasel in the back of your head that goes, no, it's only just begun. And once it is actually over, once you walk out of your last exam...nothing happens. And I suspect I will go home thinking, what, it's really, holy, I mean, wow, can you believe, but, oh my, buffalo bagels, it's actually finally over. (but probably not verbatim)
Yeah, with you again. I honestly don't think it's going to sink in for me until maybe late next year :p And actually... what you said will be pretty much verbatim for me lol.

Maystar said:
At least you can take comfort when you go on a site like this and you see other people saying exactly the same things. And it tends to be people who care about their marks who are on sites like this...watching your competition fret and fiddle can be encouraging...hang on...I'm not supposed to be helping anyone...

I don't think I will be competing with you lucidassembly anyway...I'm aiming for a 96 now. My only real concern is English, and Economics is to some degree but I have a week to fix that up (and lovely people on this site to fret with). Ahh. You know. I'll bet the real BOS have forum trolls who print this stuff out and take it to work just to laugh at us. HSC. Highly strenuous circus. With a revolving door.
BOS always makes me feel a little better, I do agree. My first preference is actually 96 too, so technically, we are indeed competing! I have to ask what course you want to do :p English has freaked me out for the past two years. Always my central source of trauma, because an essay or story can always be made better. I swear, if I could somehow replace my brain with a logical, rational and moderately normal one in terms of expectations, I'd give my right arm for the opportunity!

'Highly strenuous circus with a revolving door' = :rofl: Truly, truly brilliant. Hey, I'm sure even we'll get a good laugh out of this in 10 years time. Here's hoping anyway :eek:

(Ok. So I think I may have rambled a wee bit too much. I need to stop writing minature essays on BOS and save them for friday!)

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
obimoshman1234 said:
I hate these exams the whole year 11 and 12 process would be far better if it was to be reviewed and the hsc scraped
agreed. i wish the hsc wasn't weighted at 50% slash that the internals were worth more.

mowerrr

HSC
This year ive been doing ok. But when it really started counting (half way through this year) i let myself slip. I dont know if i can get the mark i want anymore. I dont think l've studied enough. Ive spent these 2 weeks gathering all the info i need on ancient history and trying to drill it into my head.
I havent really worked on any other subjects.

I feel okay about english.
I just dont know if i can get the mark i want (l'd be happy with 70's)
Plus the whole thing about being scaled down...I wanna cry.
I dont know....Does anyone think a last minute studier can pull that off :cold:

HSC
well, aren't we all hilarious.
no, seriously.

ahaha i'm last-minute...
i'm gonna die in english!!
lolololol!!
17yr old dies of heart attack during crucial exam...... :p

trying to get into adfa (australian defence force academy) for next year - not fussed about my uai, 's long as it's over 70, which i'll get ^^

should've bothered with the hsc and tried for the 90s but i'm way past being able to achieve that now XD

lucidassembly

HSC
mowerrr said:
I just dont know if i can get the mark i want (l'd be happy with 70's)
Plus the whole thing about being scaled down...I wanna cry.
I dont know....Does anyone think a last minute studier can pull that off :cold:
I'm a last minute studier trying to pull off 96... I reckon 70s is very possible :)

mowerrr

HSC
AHHH lmfao
i dont think any of you are as last minute as me though
i bludged throughout the last half of this year and let my marks drop alot
im an effing idiot >_<
baaah
plus apparently all my subjects are gonna scale me down ..no fair

:angry::mad:

mowerrr

HSC
Apey MatrixElf said:
ahaha i'm last-minute...
i'm gonna die in english!!
lolololol!!
17yr old dies of heart attack during crucial exam...... :p
You can do it
English isnt so bad
Just gotta remember main points about your texts is all
Plus its pretty much the same as ur trials :D
youll do fine trust me

kid123

HSC
yea heaps of people are in the same boat, including me!
I have study the past 2 weeks but no where near as much as i wanted to..im really going hard now..hope its not to late!
Anyway i will be extremly happy with 70..hope i can pull it off!

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Pretty much everything will be studied the night before. Bit of a dickhead over here =)

HSC
I will always be cramming the night before :p
But for these exams I feel like I should be stressed and I'm not really...I think we've done so many exams in the past that they don't really seem that big and scary any more :)
'Highly Strenuous Circus with a revolving door' haha that's awesome

Elanie

HSC
All the best, i just finished reading over my notes on poems and toyocs :) hoping to get at least 80 for english. Grr so stressful.

All the best people, don't stress be calm, Goodluck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)