nintendo: can they b king again??? (1 Viewer)

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
its all known that 4 sum time, prior 2 the ps2, that nintendo were the home console champs. they also & continue 2 kick arse in the handlehand market as wel (sumthn that aint goin 2 change anytime soon)

my question is, is will nintendo ever b able 2 reclaim its once glorious title of king of the home consoles???

i hope they do, although its lookn bleak atm & has been 4 sumtime

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Nintendo has $6 billion in its coffers and a willingness to experiment that Sony and Microsoft dont. Also, they were the only company in the console race that turned a profit last year from their games and systems. Dont write them off too soon.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
i wish they were. Nintendo is still my favourite and their games are easily the best, but i doubt they would be top again. Microsoft and Sony are richer and spend more on advertisement, especially here in Oz.

I think Nintendo have to be blamed for this in some part, because although i don't like it, ads and publicity sell. It annoys me how it appears Nintendo don't even try to advertise their stuff. i never saw ads for Zelda and Metroid. Nobody can beat Microsoft's attempt- a HUGE advertisement of Halo2 on the 545 buses for X-box. Even if they keep coming 3rd, As long as Nintendo keep making good games i'll be happy. But i think Nintendo have a very good chance of remaining the key company in the handheld section, although i think they will be slightly overshadowed by Sony.

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
SashatheMan said:
After SNES , nintendo games were losing appeal i think. but thats just me
u have 2 b kidding me???

the N64 was awesome, so many great games, so many wonderful memories

nintendo lost the plot a tad with the cube, it had potential ....

i think theres no question that nintendo will b around 4 a long time 2 come, unlike sega, nintendo's once rival

i just think nintendo really lacks 3rd party support. it cant do it all by itself

the day nintendo can sign sum 3rd party support, which goes further den EA offering yet another fifa game, nintendo's nxt console may offer sum resistance 2 sony

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
Grobus said:
Nintendo has $6 billion in its coffers and a willingness to experiment that Sony and Microsoft dont. Also, they were the only company in the console race that turned a profit last year from their games and systems. Dont write them off too soon.
man im not questioning ur facts

but where u get that from??? im just interested, not havn a go

and im not writing them off, im just wondering will nintendo b talked bout the way it once was ....

equiski

HSC
They all make money and they all have some great games. IMHO, no matter what console(s) you own, you're a winner.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
do you guys think ds will outsell psp?

speaking to my bro about this, and im told that psp is as powerful as the ps2, where as a ds is a 64... is this true? im also told that ds have crappier games but is like half the price....
at the end of the day ill be getting a ds since i kinda support nintendo... with the gamecube and gba...

i think psp will take a chunk out of nintendos dominance in the handheld market though...

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
Orange Juice said:
i think psp will take a chunk out of nintendos dominance in the handheld market though...
i dont noe, its goin 2 give nintendo a run 4 its money thats 4 sure

i think the DS can hold its own against the PSP, and jsut cause its cheaper doesnt mean it isnt any good

the thing that gets me bout sony, is that they just dont make a game console, b it home or handheld

they always make it sumthn else, like PS2 u can watch dvd's and now PSP u can listen 2 music and shit

it takes the attention from its purpose, which is 2 play games. and its the distraction that will result in, if any, a chunk of the market being taken from nintendo

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
yeh it plays music but dont you need like the memory stick for it? thats another 100 bucks...
the thing is right now... nintendo is the only one who has a console in the handheld... or do you count nokias ngage? even though it prolly sold 10 units...

i also heard sony is losing money from selling psp...

Metroid Hunter

HSC
Nintendo is the original and best videogames producer of all time. They have come up with original designs and games that have been ripped of by countless other people. For example, Mario and all his platforming games have ideas that have been carbon copied into most other platform games. Zelda and Metroid are also legendary game series in their own rights, and are possible some of the best RPG's of all time. Nintendo have also created control systems such as the D-pad (the + button, which is patented, by the way, so no-one is allowed to make one exactly like it), shoulder buttons (L and R) and the analogue stick. By the way, Gamecube sells the most in Japan, but worldwide PS2 sells more consoles.

Nintendo own the handheld market. I have heard that many other handhelds have come out but they all had a battery life of about 3 hours (or slightly more) and they lacked good games. By the time decent handhelds come out, Nintendo had an iron grip on the market and no one could sell anything. I dont think the PSP can stand up to the Nintendo DS.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
fornstar said:
i think theres no question that nintendo will b around 4 a long time 2 come, unlike sega, nintendo's once rival
How weird is it that Sonic is on Nintendo consoles now? I remember it use to be Sega Vs Nintendo and ONLY those two companies. Back then i would never have thought i would see the day. Anythings possible i guess. I would love to see Metroid ads on the 545 bus :)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Metroid Hunter said:
Nintendo is the original and best videogames producer of all time. They have come up with original designs and games that have been ripped of by countless other people. For example, Mario and all his platforming games have ideas that have been carbon copied into most other platform games. Zelda and Metroid are also legendary game series in their own rights, and are possible some of the best RPG's of all time. Nintendo have also created control systems such as the D-pad (the + button, which is patented, by the way, so no-one is allowed to make one exactly like it), shoulder buttons (L and R) and the analogue stick. By the way, Gamecube sells the most in Japan, but worldwide PS2 sells more consoles.
very true. Nintendo lead in originality and inventiveness.

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
nintendo is being challenged
the PS2 and Ps3 soforth will dominate the market for ppl > 12 years of age
the PSP has way better graphics, and im sure that in later years, battery technology will rise and PSP will be able to have longer battery life.
nintendo does not stand a chance performancewise.

But, I think there are more little kids in this world. Hence they all wanna buy Kiddy games from nintendo. Thus Nintendo stays alive as long as there are kiddies around = )

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Wow, it was only a matter of time before someone makes the ignorant connection between Nintendo and children. Seriously, thats like saying the Simpsons is for children because its animated.

With the PSP/DS race, its my opinion that the DS will sell better as it has been so far by a mile where it has come out. Specs mean nothing for sales - the PSX and the PS2 have been the highest selling consoles of their respective generations and also the most technologically inferior.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i just think the idea of having such high quality games with great graphics and animation is a bit difficult, and with wear and tear, will destroy the handheld controller. like the idea of having FPS with frantic speed will damage the controller easily. the PSP apparently has shorter battery life and it better be durable or it's gonna break easily with the games it releases.
DS ( dual screen ) opting for a less frantic pace, but still fast, gaming which require strategy and overall enjoyment would be better in the long run as the innovation have having dual screen and different gamin would mean it's better for taking for the long holiday then the PSP. GBA games are really addictive whether the graphics are old or not.

sladehk

le random
HSC
GBA games are usually targeted to younger children

modelzsuck

Kylie
HSC
My brother just bought a nintendo 64 off ebay even though we already have a ps2, i think segas kicked ass, nothing could beat the sega games, sonic the hedgehog, alex the kid, they bought out this new sonic game for ps2 but its shit!!!

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
transcendent said:
i just think the idea of having such high quality games with great graphics and animation is a bit difficult, and with wear and tear, will destroy the handheld controller. like the idea of having FPS with frantic speed will damage the controller easily. the PSP apparently has shorter battery life and it better be durable or it's gonna break easily with the games it releases.
Do you play your consoles with bricks or something?

HSC
N/A
Will Nintendo ever be king again?

Short answer, no.
Although, I think they'll still dominate the handheld industry.

But as for the major consoles, no. Nintendo advertises its consoles as really "kiddy" and, I don't think it's really the kids that are the major market anymore.

Not to mention that even young kids don't really want to play kiddy games anymore. They seem much more interested in games with good graphics and action rather than that "nintendo magic".

Honestly I believe the N64 was a bit of a flop in a way as well. Looking back, every single game on the N64 was just a block adventure game featuring the same characters that always appear in nintendo games... and they had like a whopping one company making games for them (RARE). Their refusal to use a cd-based system also resulted in Squaresoft jumping ships to playstation for the new final fantasy game, which ended up being one of the best selling series to date (as far as I know).

And unfortunately Nintendo is trying too hard to be king again and it's just not going to happen. The mini-dvd and no DVD player thing with the gamecube was a mistake. Making Zelda cel-shaded was a mistake. Releasing the console with cartoonish and childish games like Luigi's mansion was also a mistake. This whole GBA connectivity thing worked with some games, but forcing peopel to use them on games like Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, was also a mistake. Nintendo are just taking steps backwards.

Which is a shame... because I truly do think that nintendo has the best games because... well, their first party and second party games are the best. Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Starfox, F-zero, Mario Kart, etc... You're not going to find these high quality games on another console.

And yes, I do believe Nintendo did make a profit with the gamecube and the other companies didn't (Sony and Microsoft were losing large amounts of money each console sold and were planning to make moneyt on software...). But not many people know those figures so it hardly projects its image of success.

.. im going to stop rambling now. This seemed like such a good idea before I started writing.

Oops. Sorry :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)