• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

No Calculators? WTF? (1 Viewer)

Ravisher

After finishing what i thought was the best topic in IPT i found out that our file conversions in the HSC could not be aided and we had to use our head!

WTF?????

the same goes for SDD double WTF????

why the hell do they do this? honestly? i mean im terrible at maths, and despite that im really good at computers, but know i fear my marks are in jeopardy.

Is there any point in ATTEMPTING to talk to the board of studies about this?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
there wont be any use
if they ask you to calculate file size jus treat 1Kb=1000 bytes approximate instead of 1024kb
that would be easier to calculate

HSC
chill out, they're not going to ask for large difficult calculations.

they will expect you to do 800*600, they won't expect you to do 1024*768,

And if they do you will get full marks for leaving it in an unsimplified answer.

eg.

(1024*768*5)/8

will still get full marks.

sweetcherry

HSC
Uni Grad
I dont think I used a calculator when I did the IPT mid-yearly and yearly exams in years 11 and 12... you just have to use your head to do all the working out.

If your head refuses to do maths, then you're stuffed :D

HSC
makes plenty of sense as many calculators have options to use Hexadecimal and Binary number systems (see: Software Design and Development),

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
our techer said that we only need to show working out so not using a calculator isnt much of a problem

HSC
ahh yes thats makes heaps of sense. Restrict the calculators which can do binary and hexadecimal (Like the ones our school gave us) representations (which is still part of this course? no?) just so the IPT canditure that do multimedia can do their image size calculations.

what was i thinking :rolleyes:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Fair enough we dont get to use calculators, however ppl who don't do maths r kinda disadvantaged.

rama_v

HSC
If you cant multiply two numbers, you shouldnt be in high school, let alone year 12 lol
Its just that it takes time. I do agree its a silly rule, but like ppl have said above, the calculations can just be left unsimplified

vleung

You never know. We might be lucky and get one which easily simplifies. I guess it's tough on non-Maths students because you could convert nearly everything to 2 to-the-power-somethings and do it that way.

Video size calculations aren't included though, are they? I asked my teacher about it and she said it probably wouldn't be; and Heinemann only did the calculation for a video without sound.

HSC
Yeh, im pretty sure if you keep it in a expanded form, ie, the equation basically such as 800*600.....woteva woteva and it is the right formula, it will be treated as correct. You don't actually need to figure out all those hard little numbers in your head, it isn't maths.

7th Sign

HSC
the questions which may require a calculator are pretty basic...

people can store info on calculators thats why they dont let them come in.

steelite

HSC
There are hardly any past year papers requiring you to do the calculations though l ring the HSC Advice hotline and check.

7th Sign

HSC
I have done one or two questions involving things such as sound quality rates and picture qulaity bit debth they are pretty basic usuing a calc would be alright but...but I bet people would abuse it like store shit in it for sure....

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
usually da questions would be like demonstrate HOW it can be calculated.. u dun really have to give da file size.... just da working out.... and if they do make u calculate it... like a year in da mc question... its usually easy

Xenmae

HSC
yea dispite that my trials asked you to find the file size of a 100 minute mono file and see if it fits in 5.5 gigs of space no one in the class got full marks let alone 3/5 lucky to get 2/5 for it

this was a catholic paper

HSC
rama_v said:
If you cant multiply two numbers, you shouldnt be in high school, let alone year 12 lol
What he said.

I wasn't happy when I found out I can't use calculators for the trials, but there aren't any questions which require them.

Oh, and don't think us maths people are any better off. I for one, if have to multiply 8 by 6 would do it on the calculator than in my head. And I do ext2.

No joke.

Xenmae

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
What he said.

I wasn't happy when I found out I can't use calculators for the trials, but there aren't any questions which require them.

Oh, and don't think us maths people are any better off. I for one, if have to multiply 8 by 6 would do it on the calculator than in my head. And I do ext2.

No joke.
its a pity though as the division gets me not the multiplication
but still unfair tho

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
In the 2006 one of the questions asked to write an expression for the file size i.e sum of field sizes x records / 1024 if in KB I think but the question asked you NOT to calculate the final answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)