No-Doz Plus... shortening my lifespan? (1 Viewer)

benji6667

HSC
hey guys, just after a bit of caffeine advice

in the last 7 weeks of school, i've finsihed 2 and a half boxes of caffeine pills (60 x 100mg of caffeine)

in that time ive built up a tolerance to caffeine, and not having any has impaired by studying greatly (i trialed a week without caffeine, i feel asleep @ random times of the day :S)

so my question is, is my caffeine consumption shortening my life expectancy?

K

katie_tully

Prolonged exposure to high amounts of caff won't do wonders for your long term health. I wouldn't be worried too much about shortening your life expectancy, I'd be more worried about the sweet withdrawl symptoms you're going to have now that you've built up both a tolerance and a dependency.

Mattamz

HSC
from what i know the caffeine content of a no-doz pill is the same as a cup of coffee.

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
it wouldnt decrease life expectancy, but arent you having trouble concentrating? because no-doz doesnt really improve alertness or whatever... i just found myself not falling asleep until the caffeine wore off =/

Muz4PM

HSC
What are the adverse affects of No Doz?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
The shakes, collapse, headaches, sleep deprivation, diahorrea, vomiting, loss of concentration, lack of aletness, drowsyness, tierdness, etc.

One chick on the stuff collapsed and was taken to hospital.

CieL

HSC
cuppas said:
no-doz doesnt really improve alertness or whatever... i just found myself not falling asleep until the caffeine wore off =/
You can't really say that because different people have a different level of caffine sensitivity..

When I took my first no-doz, I was so alert and pumped up my hands were shaking.. and that's just one pill for someone that doesn't take caffine usually.. and yeah, I was so high I wanted to do other things besides study.. like jump around n shit.. maybe because I took it with a bottle of red bull..

Second time I took them I took it with a non-caffinated drink.. it worked a bloody charm.. I studied my ass off for 9hrs straight, popped 1 pill every 3hrs.. plus one before the exam [so I didnt get that fatigued feeling like the first time].. never studied so hard in my life o_O I actually learnt an entire psychology unit in 9hrs.. which is literally over 1000 slides long

Withdrawal symptoms were bad for the rest of that day though.. my head felt like it was going to explode.. but wore off after a night's sleep..

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
CieL said:
You can't really say that because different people have a different level of caffine sensitivity..

When I took my first no-doz, I was so alert and pumped up my hands were shaking.. and that's just one pill for someone that doesn't take caffine usually.. and yeah, I was so high I wanted to do other things besides study.. like jump around n shit.. maybe because I took it with a bottle of red bull..

Second time I took them I took it with a non-caffinated drink.. it worked a bloody charm.. I studied my ass off for 9hrs straight, popped 1 pill every 3hrs.. plus one before the exam [so I didnt get that fatigued feeling like the first time].. never studied so hard in my life o_O I actually learnt an entire psychology unit in 9hrs.. which is literally over 1000 slides long

Withdrawal symptoms were bad for the rest of that day though.. my head felt like it was going to explode.. but wore off after a night's sleep..
yeah it depends on the individual. i drink coffee and V almost on a daily basis but i still felt really bizarre when i first tried no-doz. like, i was wide awake but i couldnt concentrate on anything and ended up scribbling in my notepad and watching bad late-night tv till about 4am and then i went to school and slept through most of my classes.

an old fashioned cup of coffee or some red bull or whatever works better imho.

Che08

HSC
Yeah im with Cosmic Doris on this one.. im a big coffee drinker and NO-Doz does nothing for me a cup of coffee couldnt do. In saying that ill take NO-Doz when i need a caffiene hit QUICK because its easier than drinking a coffee. (sometimes i do both tho.. )

CieL

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
ended up scribbling in my notepad and watching bad late-night tv till about 4am and then i went to school and slept through most of my classes.
How good is the sleep after no-doz wears off?!

yosemite sam

HSC
Coffee and red bull dont usually really hit me or have any major effect on my ability to stay awake, especially since ive got chronic fatigue syndrome but i took a no-doz and was able to stay awake for like 30 hours. i think i had 2 hours sleep in there and then i was up again for another 10 hours.

and then i slept a normal nights sleep (about 11-12 hours for me) and i was back to normal.
ive been thinking no-doz is some sort of wonder cure.

but my friend takes about 3 at a time and she shakes a lot.

wootwt

HSC
Higher blood pressure
fast pulse

Long term effects:

heart disesase/ irregular heartbeat
weight gain
diabetes
stomach ulcers

K

katie_tully

you need 400mg roughly 3 times a day to develop a resistance to caffeine.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
yeah it depends on the individual. i drink coffee and V almost on a daily basis but i still felt really bizarre when i first tried no-doz. like, i was wide awake but i couldnt concentrate on anything and ended up scribbling in my notepad and watching bad late-night tv till about 4am and then i went to school and slept through most of my classes.

an old fashioned cup of coffee or some red bull or whatever works better imho.
This is exactly the problem with caffeine, in any form. It keeps you awake, but it scatters you. If you think you can concentrate better that's a placebo effect.

K

katie_tully

the other misconception is that caffeine 'keeps you awake'. caffeine doesn't supress your need to sleep, it merely masks the feeling of being tired and it will only do that up until a certain point. nobody has ever stayed awake for 3 days straight because they were on a coffee high. meth yes, coffee no.

if you think you do better when you're hyped up on coffee, i challenge you to read something you've written when you're more composed. it's probably a rambling pile of crap.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Slidey said:
Meh. Caffeine doesn't work on me. Since I've got ADHD, the increase in dopamine uptake makes me calm and drowsy. Similar to how speed (amphetamines) is used as the primary drug to treat ADHD now.

Things which shorten your life expectancy: prolonged poor sleep habbits (also greatly increases risk of type 2 diabetes), prolonged malnutrition, prolonged lack of exercise. If caffeine causes any of these, then yes, it may well shorten life expectancy.
Just means you have to take more of it. I've gone on dexie binges and been up for days before...

BamBam90

HSC
Caffeine doesn't do anything for me. I can have a bottle of V or Red Bull and fall asleep straight afterwards. I tried a no-doz one and didn't feel different at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)