No Extracurriculars!! Getting into uni? (1 Viewer)

alrightthen123

HSC
Medicine: Can you get in with a high mark only and a few mediocre extracurriculars? Or are interviewers looking for something more substantial? What are they looking for? I'm in year 11 and I feel like its too late to commit to something, without it feeling like I've just superficially tacked it on. Right now, all I have for extracurricular is some lowkey volunteering and band (yr 7-8).

Is it POSSIBLE to get into med with this? Any advice ??? Will any uni accept me?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Medicine: Can you get in with a high mark only and a few mediocre extracurriculars? Or are interviewers looking for something more substantial? What are they looking for? I'm in year 11 and I feel like its too late to commit to something, without it feeling like I've just superficially tacked it on. Right now, all I have for extracurricular is some lowkey volunteering and band (yr 7-8).

Is it POSSIBLE to get into med with this? Any advice ??? Will any uni accept me?
you will need to undertake the UMAT regardless.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

you need to show passion that you actually care for others and not that fat paycheck

si2136

HSC
N/A
you need to show passion that you actually care for others and not that fat paycheck
And the fat paycheck isn't even worth it, Investment Banker's work less and get paid more overall per hour

A1P

HSC
Medicine: Can you get in with a high mark only and a few mediocre extracurriculars? Or are interviewers looking for something more substantial?
If you get >99.80 ATAR or >99.0 plus 94th %ile UMAT you can get into Med at Flinders, Griffith, UQ without doing an interview.

At the interviews extracurricular is one of a dozen criteria you will be assessed. Lacking it puts you at some disadvantage but won't rule you out.

Medman

HSC
Why did you not do extracirriculars? Did you have no passion for them? Did you only do it for the purpose of gaining entry into medicine?

It's never too late to get into extracirriculars but you will need to dedicate your time. I find it laughable now looking back that I had "no time" in Year 12 to take on extracirriculars. You don't need to study that much to do well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)