• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

No idea what subjects to do!! (2 Viewers)

HSC
I'm in Year 10 and we have to choose our subjects. I have made a definite decision on:
- English Advanced
- English Extension 1
- Legal Studies
- Modern History

and then I have my iffy subjects:
-General Mathematics
-Music 1
-PDHPE
-Studies of Religion 1 or 2

My problem is that if I do all those subjects I have 14 units!!!
Maths is my weakest subject but I like and I don't know whether I should drop it?

I can't do Music 1 and Studies of Religion 2 at the same time.
I like Music, I'm good at playing music, musical terms and talking about structure and stuff but I'm not very good at the basics like writing out rhythms, rhythm values, time signatures and key signatures.
I'm topping the year but I don't know if it will get harder and we have to know more of that kind of stuff. I don't know if learning about Music will ruin my enjoyment of it.
If I don't do Music 1, I can do Studies of Religion 2.

Also is PDHPE hard? I like PE but I've heard it is a lot of theory and I don't know if it is really hard and a lot of science type stuff.

Help?

such_such

HSC
Umm it won't kill you to do 14 units. If it gets too much, just drop it. Dropping subjects is better than regretting not choosing it. And since you didn't really mention anything about General Mathematics, you should not do it if you HAD to choose :L

& I heard PDHPE is similar to biology

kfnmpah

HSC
Umm it won't kill you to do 14 units. If it gets too much, just drop it. Dropping subjects is better than regretting not choosing it. And since you didn't really mention anything about General Mathematics, you should not do it if you HAD to choose :L

& I heard PDHPE is similar to biology
Not at all, really. But if you like biology, then you might be more inclined to prefer PE to something else.

I wouldn't waste my time doing general maths. It's seriously just the same as the higher year 10 strand with spherical geometry added in. If you want to do maths, do 2 unit. It's not even that difficult.
If you don't want to do 2 unit, then don't do any maths. You can always do it at uni where it's a lot more interesting than HSC maths.

EDIT: as for music, if you like it, then do it. Music 1 is more about performance than theory, although you do need a sufficient knowledge of theory, however you tend to go over it a lot anyway.
You have to do a composition, a performance, a viva voce and a listening analysis so you might want to practise your aural skillz. It's not terribly difficult, but I did see a lot of people in my class who were pop singers and didn't have very much theory/aural analysis knowledge fall behind and not do very well.

It seems you like english/essay writing, so maybe 2u religion might be a wise choice. It's not very difficult to do well in religion if you do your work, learn your shit and study.

PE is also a lot of content, I didn't do it so i am not 100% sure, but from what friends told me, the content wasn't particularly difficult, but there were a lot of response questions and little time to do it in.

Music is fun, it won't ruin anything unless you start picking pieces purely for the HSC rather than what you like to play.

I'd completely discount general, then choose between the others.

yeah... woo.

Last edited:
HSC
For PE, I don't mind the Biology stuff we do now, it's not my favourite subject though but I have a friend who did PE and Biology and she loved PE and hated Biology?
So is PE a lot like Biology?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Music vs SOR - Please choose music as you will do better in the subjects that you love/like.
Is PDHPE hard? Every subject can be hard or easy as it depends on you, whether you like it and want to study for it OR not.
1. Choose all your favourite subjects (top priority)
2. Choose all the subjects you do well in if you cannot decide from the 1st option
3. If all else fails, choose all the interesting subjects that catch your attention!

HSC
The thing is though, I really wanted to do SOR II and Music 1.
I find religion interesting and from what I've heard its pretty much the same as SOR I but its kind of like you get more time.

I do like Music but I just don't know whether doing it and stressing out about it will ruin my like for it.
I already do music lessons and in the school orchestra and string ensemble!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I find religion interesting and from what I've heard its pretty much the same as SOR I but its kind of like you get more time.

I do like Music but I just don't know whether doing it and stressing out about it will ruin my like for it.
If you do music lessons then your music teacher should be able to help you in your music studies in the HSC!

kfnmpah

HSC

No, you do more topics.
SOR2 does the same as SOR1 plus they study more religions.

starryblue

HSC
Music vs SOR - Please choose music as you will do better in the subjects that you love/like.
Is PDHPE hard? Every subject can be hard or easy as it depends on you, whether you like it and want to study for it OR not.
1. Choose all your favourite subjects (top priority)
2. Choose all the subjects you do well in if you cannot decide from the 1st option
3. If all else fails, choose all the interesting subjects that catch your attention!
wow~ u sound so professional :D

interesting

HSC
N/A
I'm in Year 10 and we have to choose our subjects. I have made a definite decision on:
- English Advanced
- English Extension 1
- Legal Studies
- Modern History

and then I have my iffy subjects:
-General Mathematics
-Music 1
-PDHPE
-Studies of Religion 1 or 2

My problem is that if I do all those subjects I have 14 units!!!
Maths is my weakest subject but I like and I don't know whether I should drop it?

I can't do Music 1 and Studies of Religion 2 at the same time.
I like Music, I'm good at playing music, musical terms and talking about structure and stuff but I'm not very good at the basics like writing out rhythms, rhythm values, time signatures and key signatures.
I'm topping the year but I don't know if it will get harder and we have to know more of that kind of stuff. I don't know if learning about Music will ruin my enjoyment of it.
If I don't do Music 1, I can do Studies of Religion 2.

Also is PDHPE hard? I like PE but I've heard it is a lot of theory and I don't know if it is really hard and a lot of science type stuff.

Help?
If you don't like maths and don't think you want to improve then drop it..... how do you find studies of religion? music will have even more theory later on so....if your fine with that then i'd choose that over studies of religion

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you really want to do SOR2 and Music1 then drop mathematics and do SOR2 by correspondence. You don't sound crazy on doing math, so I don't recommend it.. PDHPE is all theoretical, not like Yr 10 PE and is only a little like biology, not massively.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
14 units is not much. You just have to manage your time well.

In the end, try the subjects yourself and then drop them if they get too hard or if you find out you don't like them. Simple. You lose nothing anyway.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^Do you think by doing 14 units you would have done better by doing less? or do you think you would have performed the same in your subjects with less units?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I probably would've done marginally better if I had did less, yeah. But not drastically much. That's because the 'extra time' I get in not studying for one subject doesn't automatically mean I study for another one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)