No Math= No Physics And Chem? (1 Viewer)

simonkey

HSC
Is my school really really slack???? Is it true that if you don't do at least 2U mathematics then your not allowed to do PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY?? plz reply ppl

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
HELL NO! I know many people that didnt do Maths that did Chemistry and Physics just fine.

Complain to the school! Don't go down without a fight.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
simonkey said:
Is my school really really slack???? Is it true that if you don't do at least 2U mathematics then your not allowed to do PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY?? plz reply ppl
That is slack,
At least we have some Year 11 students doing Physics and Chemistry who also does General Maths ...

Actually it is strongly recommended you do 2U Mathematics if you plan to do Physics and Chemistry.
A small proportion of 2U Maths intertwines with Physics...

Your school took it a little too far that I can point out ...

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
No, they shouldn't be allowed to do that. My friend did General Maths and Chemistry for the HSC last year, and got in the 90s for both.

dora_18

HSC
For chem you don't really need maths that much, its more "common sense" type maths(not to mention the only maths that was ever in chem has been taken out almost completely-thus the difficulty in transition for some people from high school to uni), but i wouldn't recommend physics without at least 2U maths ...they're quite similar

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
f3nr15 said:
Actually it is strongly recommended you do 2U Mathematics if you plan to do Physics and Chemistry.
A small proportion of 2U Maths intertwines with Physics...
Umm..not really. Just a bit in the Space topic where you do projectile motion. The rest is all applying formulas and getting the units right. Pretty mindless if you ask me.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Legally your school cannot say that you must do Maths to do either Physics and/or Chemistry but at my school both the Science and Maths departments have always recommended a strong level of Maths to do either subject.

Talk to your science teachers about your ability in those subjects as they may say that you have strong enough Maths skills anyway - we had a student in that situation many years ago. A student desperatly needed Chemistry but her Maths was the old MIP (easier even then General Maths today). The Science staff believed that she was capable of doing the Chemistry course and she got over 90 in Chemistry.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Chemistry doenst require alot of math but physics does, it's adviced to do 2U math when you do phy and chem.

simonkey

HSC
yeh, some good points and explanations there.

Last edited by a moderator:

vizman

HSC
in yr 10 our teachers told us year 10 level mathatics would suffice. this has proven to be the case so far through preliminary

sinist4

HSC
its just a recommendation, that you do 2u, but the math in physics isnt that hard anyway... i dunno bout chem though.
But physics is more about the theory these days ... thats wat i think :D

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Yeah, It's not as important in chem as it is in physics. It's still pretty easy in physics though, the maths isn't ever really super complicated (unless you suck at maths).

charismo

HSC
then why don't you just do 2unit maths?

i think thats the problem with physics these days.. they've taken so much of the difficult maths out so people that don't do maths or do general maths can still do it

the leader

HSC
I know this is kinda off the whole maths thing, but at my school a couple of girls got told they couldnt do physics, they just wont let em. can they actually do that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)