No Money in Law !? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Can someone explain the logic in doing law? You go to uni for like 5-6 years, graduate compete with another 1000 graduates competing for jobs, get a position, if you're lucky. Be worked through the floor by some barrister, on fairly mediocre pay (for the work you put in), until you get a partnership, and that's if you get one, and getting one doesn't even promise high pay.
Most people who do law never even actually use there law degree. For example, they do law/commerce and end up doing something in finance where a law degree is basically useless.
Couldn't think of anything more boring then law tbh.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Can someone explain the logic in doing law? You go to uni for like 5-6 years, graduate compete with another 1000 graduates competing for jobs, get a position, if you're lucky. Be worked through the floor by some barrister, on fairly mediocre pay (for the work you put in), until you get a partnership, and that's if you get one, and getting one doesn't even promise high pay.
Most Law students I know are doing a combined degree and don't particularly want to enter the legal profession. They'd be more interested in politics or diplomacy or some other area altogether. It's rather a lot of effort for a degree they won't explicitly use, but I guess they still get general skills out of it even if they don't become lawyers.

izzy88

HSC
eg. comprehension, writing skills, knowledge about the way the law works, and how integral it is to our society and our history. It gives you a new perspective when you read the paper/what is going on in the world, or even when you sign that contract for your mobile phone/credit card etc. Some people do find law interesting.

Just because you don't want a job in law doesn't make a law degree useless. People don't necessarily undertake arts degrees with the knowledge that it will get them a job in a specific area afterwards, but they do it because its interesting and gives them life skills that can be transferred to another profession/life.

ninjapuppet

HSC
N/A
'Theres no money in law' v 'Law, thats where the money is'.

Hays and Micheal Page salary surveys can give you a rough idea of ranges, but your question is very subjective depending on working for someone as a lawyer, or a business owner in the law profession.

As a job, law is like any other. generally 60-150k range salaries.
As a business sector, i think theres more money involved than other sectors eg health. Majority of GPs who run their own clinics are generally on 180-220k. I dont think most legal partners are stuck in this range.

Theres a lawyer who runs a small suburban office doing purely Legal Aid work, and bills Legal Aid NSW over 1million a year. He was complaining how he wasnt paid enough!
fee scales : http://lacextra.legalaid.nsw.gov.au...nal Matters - State - Solicitors 24.05.10.pdf

Most solicitors would regard charging $750 a day, to be peanut money. If you were a junior lawyer with 2 years experience - you'd be able to start your own firm and charge this amount, with plenty of work available.

would you think this is peanut money?

shuttle_bus5

HSC
eg. comprehension, writing skills, knowledge about the way the law works, and how integral it is to our society and our history. It gives you a new perspective when you read the paper/what is going on in the world, or even when you sign that contract for your mobile phone/credit card etc. Some people do find law interesting.

Just because you don't want a job in law doesn't make a law degree useless. People don't necessarily undertake arts degrees with the knowledge that it will get them a job in a specific area afterwards, but they do it because its interesting and gives them life skills that can be transferred to another profession/life.
If you people are going to do a degree just to get the 'skills' they should do a real degree, like mathematics or science or philosophy.

biomolecule

HSC
i dont see people who are running the country obtaining a degree in science or maths.

maybe you should expand your knowledge a bit outside the fields of science and maths.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
i dont see people who are running the country obtaining a degree in science or maths.

maybe you should expand your knowledge a bit outside the fields of science and maths.
You would be surprised how many CEO's and people in government have degrees in engineering/maths/science.

And by the term 'a real degree', I mean an intellectually challenging degree.

twistedrebel

HSC

Politicians dont run the country, bureaucrats do. All politicians have law degree's because they couldn't get a job in law.
Its the Economist/mathematics/scientist who run the country m8

biomolecule

HSC
Politicians dont run the country, bureaucrats do. All politicians have law degree's because they couldn't get a job in law.
Its the Economist/mathematics/scientist who run the country m8

not every law graduate choose to enter the law profession.
scientist dont run the country, because if they did, we will probably all be dead or experimented on. you can thanks ethics and lawyers for that movement.
and think about whats really governing society, im pretty sure its the law.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
If you people are going to do a degree just to get the 'skills' they should do a real degree, like mathematics or science or philosophy.
don't bother, these peasants don't know half of what we know

not every law graduate choose to enter the law profession.
scientist dont run the country, because if they did, we will probably all be dead or experimented on. you can thanks ethics and lawyers for that movement.
and think about whats really governing society, im pretty sure its the law.
LOL yer k scinetifzt has no efix k guyz

its funny cause ive talked to numerous engineering companies and they all sign an agreement where no-one undercuts each other in terms of contracts, instead they help out ecah other

but yea law made us do that obv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)