No more DFEE?? (1 Viewer)

aileenli

HSC
blakegman said:
If they weren't better, they wouldn't have achieved the marks to get CSP opposed to a DFEE. Might not be smarter or more intelligent, but they are better which is what matters really.

I'm tempted to argue against that, but I'm CSP - so I'll accept that statement :D

(Its so hard to refrain from making an argument)

sarevok

HSC
PF said:
lol he was obviously psychotically smart.. that is crazy.. but if 80$ tutors would guarantee anyone higher marks, how did he get to the top? shouldn't every 100'er have had five-star tutoring?
Why would you need private tutoring if you go to Moriah College? That school is ~$20000 a year and probably already the best education you can possibly get.

X

xeuyrawp

sarevok said:
Why would you need private tutoring if you go to Moriah College? That school is ~$20000 a year and probably already the best education you can possibly get.
The school I went to costs more than Moriah, does that mean I got a better education? Or is your thesis inherently flawed?

I'd say the latter, considering your last statement - you sound worse than that horrible headmaster they have. The school is great if you want an orthodox Jewish education, which I'm sure most 'you's out there don't want.

Even if you're a Jew, there are certainly equal -- if not better -- places to go. But of course, it depends on the student. One simply can't make hopeless statements like 'x is the best y'.

I wish people would stop talking about tutoring like it's for a) people who are dumb/struggling, b) people who are cheating, or c) people who don't go to an okay school.

Edit:
withoutaface said:
International students now have access to an option which you don't :)
Government would say that they have access to an option which you don't because they're different from you. Different student, different option.

Last edited by a moderator:

sarevok

HSC
PwarYuex said:
The school I went to costs more than Moriah, does that mean I got a better education? Or is your thesis inherently flawed?

I'd say the latter, considering your last statement - you sound worse than that horrible headmaster they have. The school is great if you want an orthodox Jewish education, which I'm sure most 'you's out there don't want.
I never said there is an exact correlation between school fees and quality of education. But generally if you are paying that much money for a school you are going to get experienced teaching, high quality facilities and a high level of subject choice, otherwise you would never consider paying such a sum.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
sarevok said:
I never said there is an exact correlation between school fees and quality of education. But generally if you are paying that much money for a school you are going to get experienced teaching, high quality facilities and a high level of subject choice, otherwise you would never consider paying such a sum.
What a load of shit, most of the people that go to GPS schools are only there because their fathers went there, not for the quality of education provided, and they run up in the way of 20k/year.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Government would say that they have access to an option which you don't because they're different from you. Different student, different option.
But still, why not just subsidise universities to cover the existing number of HECS + DFEE places, and then allow local students to compete with internationals for the existing number of international fee places? There's no harm in this, no loss of utility for anyone, except for a few whining leftists and their concept of 'fairness'.

Education is a service, you should be able to purchase it. If you're intelligent enough you can get it paid for/subsidised for the government, yes, but it's not hurting you (in fact it's helping you) to have others paying more for it and improving the facilities you're using.

Well, make it such that people who want to DFEE go to special DFEE universities - like BOND etc. It makes it easier for the employer to decide which student bummed out their HSC and has a rich daddy to pay for everything.
Or if the HSC is so important to employers they could ask applicants for their UAIs and proof that they achieved them. Or they could not be retarded and judge students based on their university results, and if these kids are so dumb they'll obviously not have done as well in their university studies, no?

Thought Shark

HSC
jackmurray1989 said:
I can't wait for DFEE places to be abolished and have univerity places based on merit.
I can't wait for leftist pieces of shit to get off my campus.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Thought Shark said:
I can't wait for leftist pieces of shit to get off my campus.
See it'll happen in tandem, because there are a tonne of rich inner city Greens voting parents who'll no longer be able to get their dumbshit marxist children into Arts degrees with marks of under 30.

X

xeuyrawp

withoutaface said:
But still, why not just subsidise universities to cover the existing number of HECS + DFEE places, and then allow local students to compete with internationals for the existing number of international fee places? There's no harm in this, no loss of utility for anyone, except for a few whining leftists and their concept of 'fairness'.
You're speaking to the converted on this matter, brother.

I think advocates of DFEE abolition would say that education is a right, so economic means shouldn't hinder or help this. Pitty about everything else in life, though. =/

Last edited by a moderator:

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
wow - keeping an eye on this thread. could be important for 08'rs. Trying for Bcom at UNSW but the UAI cutoff is 95.1 or something last time i checked. No dfee= more CSP places= lower uai cutoff.

but i highly doubt it will come into effect for 08'rs - 09'rs perhaps?

Arithela

HSC
surely they cant just get rid of dfee just like 'that'?... e.g. the uac book will need time to publish w/o dfee places, unis to adjust etc. because ive emailed different faculties at unsw and they all say they know nothing about dfees being abolished, so i would think if the Rudd government were to get rid of them, the quick change would be too much of a hassle for universities.

maybe this will come in effect in 2010 for 09ers, after giving enough notice of course. anyone else agree?

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Arithela said:
http://www.law.usyd.edu.au/news/docs_pdfs_images/2008/AFR_29February2008.pdf

here, the law deans of UNSW and USYD argued against the phasing out of dfee places

i can find many articles that are against it too...

note: I am not against nor with the phasing out of dfee places, just here merely for arguments sake.
yeah it brings up a good point, it'll only work if the government covers the income lost in all faculties when abolishing DFEE.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
imo the DFEE option should stay. like others have mentioned before why is it fair that international students get an option that we don't? and how will the universities be able to grow let alone survive in the long term without the DFEE students money? what is going to happen to all those private universities that whist get goverment help, a large majority of there revenue come from DFEE students? ...

EDIT: actually all students are DFEE at private universities (unless they have a scholarship or something)... so i don't know how it will work...

Last edited:

Arithela

HSC
well I think it is obvious that the labour party will abolish dfee places (provided they compensate for income losses), but the question is WHEN will they.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)