No more Grading on a Curve at Mac Uni (1 Viewer)

Begbie4017

HSC
Woohoo!
From this year the assessments are standards based rather than graded on a curve.

"Most importantly, the new policy specifies that there is NO REQUIREMENT for a normal
distribution of grades and it is the quality of the individual student’s performance compared with the
established and publicly available performance standards alone that should determine the grade."

http://www.mq.edu.au/policy/docs/assessment/implementation_guide.pdf

"This policy will be fully implemented by 1 January 2010 when all units will be expected to conform to the policy"

(I've edited this by adding the implementation date looks like not all convenors feel the need to change their grading this year)

Last edited:

jellybelly08

HSC
This will work both ways right?

So if its a really hard subject there will be no scaling UP?

If so that SUCKS!

randomguy777

HSC
N/A
from my understanding, you'll be getting a higher maximum mark but also a lower minimum mark. i don't think anything has changed, but if it has wouldn't they notify everyone by email? its something this big, needs more attention. then what about the pre09 results? they are stuffed up by sngs. if anything has changed, i'll can easily tell by looking at my marks this semester and hopefully the unit outline will ditch the SNG.

Begbie4017

HSC
You would think they would tell everyone, but they haven't.
One of my unit convenors told me.

The university policies are here.

Policy Central - Macquarie University

I did attach in my first post a document about how it would be implemented, which I found the easiest to really understand.
The normative system said that only a handful of people could get a HD, now if alot of people work to that standard then they will get it too.

It sounds great in theory I hope it works well in practice.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
from my understanding, you'll be getting a higher maximum mark but also a lower minimum mark. i don't think anything has changed, but if it has wouldn't they notify everyone by email? its something this big, needs more attention. then what about the pre09 results? they are stuffed up by sngs. if anything has changed, i'll can easily tell by looking at my marks this semester and hopefully the unit outline will ditch the SNG.
MQ inform us of changes before they're implemented? What are ya nuts?! :pirate:

I did attach in my first post a document about how it would be implemented, which I found the easiest to really understand.
The normative system said that only a handful of people could get a HD, now if alot of people work to that standard then they will get it too.

It sounds great in theory I hope it works well in practice.
That has been in practice in the smaller classes, I think if you had <50 students in a course you didn't have to match it to a bell curve, so I guess they've merely applied it to the rest of the uni.

edit: Also I'd rather them make the HD count for more than D in terms of GPA.

Last edited:

peter22

Banned
HSC
YESSS!!!! FINNALLLYYY. that surely made my day. I absolutely hated that SNG crap. I bet they read the BOS forums lol and saw me and some others whinging about it. Thank you macquarie!!!!

aq15

HSC
so what does this mean compared to the old system? after reading the pdf i still dont understand. I also am a first year uni student so i just want to know.

Thanks

Begbie4017

HSC
Old system from policy document:
Marks awarded to students reflect their achievements relative to the
achievement of other students in the group. Final examination marks are
based on a predetermined proportion of students in each mark range.
There is a limit on the number of students who can receive top marks.
Students can receive marks below 50 even though they have achieved the
course outcomes. Guidelines are set for markers which indicate the
specified percentage of students who can be given specific grades – pass,
credit, distinction, and high distinction. Grades in this case will not be an
accurate representation of student capability as the abilities of student

Standards System:
Final examination marks are determined by the proportions of students
who achieve each performance standard. There is no predetermined
distribution of marks. This means over time, while learning outcomes
standards remain constant, the proportions of students achieving each
standard may change from year to year and there is no limit to the
number of students who can reach the highest standard. All students
who meet the minimum standard receive a pass mark of 50%. Students
who perform above the minimum standard expected receive higher
marks.

Monstar

HSC
busl301 lecturer was still talking about the grading curve. Imo a lie.

Begbie4017

HSC
I reread some of the policy documents & they state:

"This policy will be fully implemented by 1 January 2010 when all units will be expected to conform to the policy."

So maybe this year not all units are doing it ..

Phil137 is following the new policy.

I suppose Ill have to ask my other convenors if they are complying this year or not..bugger

peter2

Banned
HSC
oh fucking hell. Can't they just implement it already. The Grading last year and before is just a load of shit. HURRY THE FUK UP MAC AND IMPLEMENT IT ALREADY.

Tabris

HSC
The bell curve hasn't really hurted my marks, on the contrary, I have to thank my lucky stars for it.

In times when i feel i did crap after the exams, i get surprised when they give me a higher grade than what was expected....

Also,. FYI, the bell curve is applied after all the raw marks are accumulated AND that it does not fit in the bell curve.

Thats what was explained by one of our law convenors.....raw marks will only be adjusted if they fall outside the bell curve....

I actually had a look at an entire spreadsheet of 3rd year law unit..... students who were close to a distinction were bumped up....whereas those who received a middle credit were bumped down......but still a credit....very few were borderline cases were bumped down.

I myself got lucky and was scaled up by 4......

I think that SNG is overrated.....grade inflation is probably more controversial. Peter Abelson criticised Macq for being too lenient in marking and the pressures to pass students (esp. FOBS)....he even describes some of his students who fail 3-4 times in his unit ECON210.......I wonder how many people fail that subject now?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)