No National Regional University - SCU and CSU not merging (1 Viewer)

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Update on the feasibility study

I wanted to provide you with an update on the status of the feasibility study exploring the formation of a new national University in regional Australia. The draft Needs Analysis from the consultants PhillipsKPA was received by a meeting of the Councils of Charles Sturt University and Southern Cross University in Coffs Harbour on 3 July 2009.

After the presentation of the preliminary findings in the report, the Council of Southern Cross University advised CSU's Council that it did not wish to progress to Stage 2 of the study (the development and examination of models for forming a new national University).

The two Councils agreed that they would provide feedback to the consultant for inclusion in the final Needs Analysis Report and that we would advise the Government that the study would not progress.

The idea of forming a new national University to extend the provision of higher education to all rural and regional communities was a challenging idea. As a University, I believe we are obligated by our commitment to 'free inquiry' not only to challenge the norms of our societies, but from time to time the ordering of our own sector.

The overwhelmingly supportive feedback received from staff, students and members of the community from around Australia will be an invaluable tool in arguing for the needs of all regional communities in the future. The Needs Analysis also provides some useful insights into the importance of higher education and research to regional Australia and the national economy and will assist in setting out some of the challenges we face as a sector in addressing social inclusion, innovation and labour force needs.

One of the features of the staff and students of CSU is your commitment to our communities and your willingness to engage in new thinking and ideas in order to ensure the benefits of higher education extend across regional Australia. I would like to thank you all for your support and constructive feedback during this process and I look forward to working with you as we progress our goal of ensuring the needs of rural and regional Australia are on the national agenda and are advanced into the future.

Professor Ian Goulter
Vice-Chancellor and President
I wasn't expecting that. Among other things, the federal government supported the merge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)